LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 08-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #1
Parabellus
User

Default First holster

Hi guys (and gals).

Here is the holster I got shortly after my first Luger. It was in a small pile of like but poorer condition holsters. As you can see it had been coverted, as had the others, to hang on a US Army web belt. I have no such belt since I rotated from Viet Nam, but it fit my budget. I never liked the system anyway and hanging it on a police belt is a pain. The oil spot is mine from leaving the luger, freshly (over)oiled, in the holster.

Now the question. Is this worth coverting back to belt-loops? If it is, then Jerry is surly the man I want to do it. It could use a new buckle as well.

Would you rescue this leather?

Russell
Unread 08-02-2006, 11:29 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,104 Times in 1,429 Posts

Russell, I don't know if I can answer your question but perhaps I can help you arrive at one.
These Norwegian GI belt conversions are relatively common. Some people actually collect some as an example of a historical conversion.
Most people who care to, convert them back to their original configuration of two belt loops.
If you are considering this, it all depends on your collecting preferences and finances. The conversion can be done correctly, just as the Germans would have with the correct linen thread and nicely made belt loops. Installed they look very good with one exception. The holes where the rivets must be drilled out have to be plugged. These plugged holes will always be evident. There is no real way to make them disappear completely. This ruins the holster for most collectors. They would rather not see these holes plugged. The conversion will likely just cover the expense of the new belt loops leaving the holster only slightly more valuble than if it were not converted. I charge $50.00 for the job. So, I leave the decision up to the individual collector. I do quite a few of these over the course of any one year. Each person has to decide if this is the way they want to go...Hope this helps.
Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2006, 11:47 PM   #3
Parabellus
User

Thank you Jerry.

The price is right. Now to decide whether to do it. Knowing that there may actually be some collector value in this type may make me change my mind.

Norwegian? Does that mean the original conversion is done in Norway or that the style was developed in Norway?

Russell
Unread 08-03-2006, 07:33 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

after ww2 the norweigians took the captured guns and holsters and converted german ones. I believe they should have a collector value, as they are. However, five years ago you couldn't give these away, so some dealers bought scores of them. In the big picture, there are probably (or originally were) 5-8 thousand of these floating around, a small number... compared to the original style ones made in the millions...

they have gone up in price on ebay, I think because they have been converted folks think they are collectable. to many collectors, once modified back to original, most of the collector value is gone... but that is an individual choice.

if you look around long enough, you can pick up ratty original ones for cheap and nicer ones for a lot to a lot more...

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
Aaron
Banned

As recently as eight months ago I saw a large quantity of these converted holsters selling for $25 at a gun show, with very few takers.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #6
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,104 Times in 1,429 Posts

Aaron, If you ever see any more at that price give me a call! Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."