LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 06-22-2006, 11:45 PM   #1
Parabellus
User

Default A novice question about ammo

Here is one probably everyone but I knows.

What is .38 Special +P? Is it good in any .38 Spl revolver? Will any and every .38 ammo work properly in any .38 Special revolver?

OK. That's THREE probably everyone but I knows.

You see, shortly before I got Lugermania I enjoyed shooting a dilapidated old Burgo and a snub-nose S&W both in .38 Special. Today I got hold of a couple boxes of the +P HPs as well as some other odd rounds of .38.

Thanks to all,

Russell
Parabellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2006, 12:27 AM   #2
Hugh
RIP

"Any & all 38 ammo" will not work in a 38 Spl revolver, there is 38 Long Colt, 38 Short Colt, 38-40, 357 Mag, etc, which is all "38 Ammo" but not 38 Special. All 38 Special ammo will work in all 38 Special guns. +P 38 Special is higher pressure & velocity than standard 38 Spl ammo. It is advisable to not shoot it in old guns, cheap foreign guns, and not shoot it continually in aluminum frame guns. Modern steel frame revolvers will handle it with no problem.
Unread 06-23-2006, 01:33 AM   #3
Parabellus
User

Thank you Hugh,

Well, I guess the Burgo from the early '60s falls under the category of old, cheap, and foreign. The S&W snub-nose sounds like a go but it's not much for target practice. It would be my choice for home protection but I can't imagine needing to protect my home 100 rounds worth. I do believe an S&W 6-inch .357 Magnum might be more appropriate at the target range for this high-energy ammunition.

If anyone has experience with Burgo (good or bad) I would be interested. It's hard to find info. Is this a 'Satuday night special'?

Russell
Unread 06-23-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Parabellus
User

I knew I could depend on you Tac,

Your sublime command of the subtleties of the Queen's English never fail to amuse- - -amaze.

Did I say I actually FIRED the Burgo? I guess it's too late to back out now. OK. The bore is good and the function nominal. The dilapidated part is the finish because it was left too long in a holster causing the blue (if that's what it is) to deteriorate. It was purchased new in 1961 by the freind who let me shoot it. I don't think he ever used it much. The S&W snub-nose had never fired before. Believe me, I made sure they were clean and well oiled before I loaded them. Nevertheless, I have no wish to fire th Burgo ever again, thank you. You certainly make an impression.

Admiringly,

Russell
Unread 06-23-2006, 10:06 PM   #5
Parabellus
User

Thanks guys,

That's all the excuse I need to go .357. The S&W I'm looking at is Model 27-2, a reasonable alternative to Model 19? Can't find a date. A quick internet search tells me Bangor-Punta took over Smith & Wesson in 1965, the year the Model 60, one to avoid?

Tac, do you get your e-mail, as accessed on the profile, in Tokyo?

Russell
Unread 06-23-2006, 11:48 PM   #6
Parabellus
User

Quote:
'Be nice to everybody you meet, but have a plan to kill them if necessary'
Looks like you have a plan to kill each one with a different gun as necessary.

Good enough. Model 27 it is. I'm too exhausted to search 586 and 686 tonight. Sound like Intel microprocessors.

Anyway, I got only two medals for marksmanship, from my Uncle Sam, the same two pretty much everybody else who made it through Basic Training and qualified with the M-14 and M-16 was awarded. But that was a long time ago when I could actually see the target at 300 meters.

Here's hoping it's a lovely day in Japan and that you get out and enjoy that beautiful land and the hospitality of some of the politest (when they are not at war) people on earth.

And the rest of you folks, if you havenâ??t started already, get out and see the world while you are still young enough to enjoy it.

Warmly,

Russell
Unread 06-24-2006, 01:15 AM   #7
Hugh
RIP

Russell,
Take a look at a S&W mdl 19. I have one in a 4" bbl, and that is one sweet smooth action.
Unread 06-24-2006, 01:50 AM   #8
Parabellus
User

Another vote for Model 19. I have to admit that an S&W 19-5 in blue and wood grips with that 6-inch barrel 'looks' every bit as fine in pictures as the 27-2 I've had my eye on. The pricing looks better. I will check it out further. Meanwhile, of course, I did check up on the x86 models. Heavy duty, again, in pictures. With no real eye for quality I appreciate the guidance of you experienced users.

Thanks for giving me something to work with.

Russell
Unread 06-24-2006, 08:23 PM   #9
Parabellus
User

Mr. & Mrs. Tac,

Bless you both.

[/QUOTE] If guess we look at things from a much different perspective. When I was allowed to have handguns, money never came into the equation - I had it and that was it.

Without giving a longwinded history as to the whys, rest assured that budgetary constraints do limit options on firearm purchases that Mrs. P. I can make. We do not have the money until one of us earns it. For the last few years that has had to be me. She works her magic with our expenses and we do not starve.
We gain access to a couple of handguns because of the death of my dear little brother. We try them out. We enjoy it. We decide to start looking for our own. She decides she likes Walther. I see a chance for a piece of history and start searching the net for Lugers and Broomhandles. I get an idea of availability and pricing.
I discover LugerForum.
About the same time I find a gun shop with four Lugers on consignment. Two are 7.65mm. One is S/42 9mm pitted in the extreme. One is 1920 DWM 9mm.
Mrs. P. wants to see. 'Looks old,' says she. 'Isn't she a beauty?' says me.
Then a miracle happens; she buys it for me. Ten days later you all see.
I learn more about my gun from you here than I ever thought possible.
Better still, I meet some very interesting personalities.
Then y'all help me decide whether or not to spend the money earmarked for my next computer on a restored Artillery Luger.
The point is this. Were money not an issue then by now I would not only have the best home-protection weapon money could buy but also that great Navy Luger now destined for the collection of my friend Dr. Herb as well as a complete Mauser C96 Red 9 rig that got away. There will be other Navies and other Red 9s. I'll have cash on hand one of those times and the collection will blossom. Right now I'm having too much fun with the Lugers I have to worry much. I gather from reading the Forum, is how most of the collectors here manage to do it, 'one luger at a time'.

On a more serious note, I am deeply concerned watching as otherwise free nations erode the rights of their citizens to defend themselves. The unfortunate developments in Europe, particularly Britain because it is the mother of the USA, have us looking over our shoulders as the anti-gun crowd gains more and more ground. Mrs. P. and I are with you all the way on this one. There is no 'right to keep and bear arms' in Taiwan where she is from nor in Japan where you are now.

Eternally vigilant,

Russell Quote

P.S. Is this still in the Shooting and Reloading section? All I wanted was to find out if +P ammo is too hot for a lousy Burgo!