LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 07-31-2001, 12:28 PM   #1
S. Allen

Default more newbie Luger questions

Well, after obtaining fieldstripping instructions for my 1918 Erfurt VOPO Parabellum, I finally got around to completely taking this beauty apart and inspecting everything. Boy, this ain't no 1911 or Hi-Power to strip down!

I have not yet fired the pistol, because I want my smith to check it out completely before I do this. Just a precaution.

What I have found is that except for the bakelite grips, my 1918 Erfurt has all matching numbers on all parts I could see. All in all, this is a nice, tight example of this fine arm.

I have a few questions though on this pistol and Lugers in general:

First, the magazine on this pistol has a wooden bottom, most of the ones I see on this site have metal or black bottoms...whats up with that?

Second, where can I find a decent spare magazine that won't run me a mint? Are aftermarket Luger mags as dicey as aftermarket mags for other autopistols?

Third, I would like to replace the grips with a like-new set of checkered walnut grips. Where can I find a set? A quality replacement/repro set is what I am after.

Fourth, is there a maker that produces reproduction Luger holsters in brown leather? The ones that hold the spare mag in the front? Does anybody make reproduction Luger holsters? The originals are too pricey and I want one I might carry occaisionally for hunting.

Thanks in advance for everything,

S. Allen

PS: is an Erfurt Luger rare? Not very many people talk about this variant around here. (or are they considered a notch above the stainless ones in undesirability?)

Unread 07-31-2001, 12:53 PM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default Re: more newbie Luger questions

Let me have a stab at your questions, but other responses are also welcome.

First:

Wooden bottom mags would be appropriate for this model/year pistol.

Second:

Mec-Gar (hard to find) and Triple K mags have gotten good reports on their compatibility.

Third:

A number of sources sell replacement walnut grips, among them Sarco, Nill Griffe and Hugh Clark. I have a pair of Hugh's grips on mine and am very pleased with the product. Most of these folks can be found in our Links & Resouces.

Fourth:

CMR make a very nice holster by all accounts. A number of members have purchased them and been very pleased. They are also listed in the Links & Resources.

I'm not sure on the rarity of Erfurts, perhaps a collector will comment on this aspect, I do know that the Erfurts finish was considered "rougher" than that of DWM.

Hope this helps.

Dok

Unread 07-31-2001, 01:12 PM   #3
BCC

DOK offered solid responses, I will give my "take" on Erfurts. They would be considered third of of the 5 makers (German) who produced the Luger, that is to say they made less than one half the number of DWM or Mauser but considerably more than Simson or Kregoff (sp?). They were the only German Luger to be made at an official Gov't Arsenal and seem to be fairly seldom run accross today compared to DWM or Mauser makes. The finish on the later ones were rougher than DWMs but on the early Erfurts I usually see a nice finish. Erfurts have tended to get a brush off in the earlier collector (and shooter) references and I think therefore have not gotten the "press" they deserve. The pistol you have would appear to have seen some 70 years of service (I'm sure much of this in storage) and served four different governments (for the same geographical country!) and this is pedigree that cannot be dismissed.

Unread 07-31-2001, 02:34 PM   #4
S. Allen

Default one other question...on the barrel

Thanks so far, guys!

I was...and still am, mystified as to how this 1918 pistol has such a shiny and crisp bore for such an early piece. There is a slight amount of holster wear on the shapr edges on the frame, receiver, front sight, etc, but no major dings or pitting. It looks as if this piece was carried alot and shot very little and the bore is very minty, indeed.

There is a very faint importer stamp on the underside...so faint, I cannot make out who imported it! Next to the stamp, closer to the receiver, there is a capital letter "N" with a crown over it stamped on the underside.

Does this mean that this IS the original barrel? If so...it hasn't seen much action.

Since it was made in the dying days of WWI, is it possible that it served in some sort of police role after the Armstice was signed, where it was holstered most of the time, instead of recruited into Wehrmacht duty - then reblued and used by the VolksPoleizi, until they were issued the Makarov? It has no Nazi marks on it at all.

Interesting variation...if it is thought of as a "rougher, less pedigreed mutt" by some...thats ok...its a neat relic to me. Besides...it was only 300 bucks!

Thanks,

S. Allen

Unread 07-31-2001, 02:45 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default An excellent purchase indeed Mr. Allen! (EOM)

Unread 07-31-2001, 03:19 PM   #6
BCC

Default Re: one other question...on the barrel

The barrel may well be a post war East German replacement. The Germans (from all periods) were often quick to replace the barrel on their small arms. The original Erfurt barrel should have imperial eagles (like the one on the right receiver) on the side of the barrel close to where it screws into the receiver. Also check the exact style of the serial numbers to see if they are the same. The East German re-works were very professional and appeared to be almost of a factory level work(the Russian re-works were more "utilitarian" in purpose). I agree with your sumation, regarding the typical use of these type pistols. Also keep in mind that relativly few of the 0ne hundred to two hundred thousand Lugers (WWI and Wiemar) Lugers that were used by the Third Reich were "Nazi" marked in any way. If your pistol is East German re-issue ( or Russian re-work) it was used by the Germans in WWII in some way.

Unread 07-31-2001, 03:42 PM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default A couple of repro holster sources

Ebay often has reproduction holsters.

Here is a black one being auctioned right now that looks pretty good. (I know you said you wanted brown this is just an example)

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1172508345

Just set up a favorite search for "Luger holster" and have them email you whenever one is put up for auction

OR

CMR (listed in the links and resources page of this site) has excellent reproduction holsters in several pleasing colors.

I have examined one of these personally and found the quality excellent.

http://members.aol.com/vf31rhill/90405.jpg
Unread 07-31-2001, 06:00 PM   #8
Roger Seymour

Repo Holsters like the one John showed can be had for about $40. But most are made in India and you'll have air it out for a couple of weeks. The ones from C&R are very nice, but will cost you a lot more.

High quaility grips (Nil-Griff's) will run you $75-$90. Hugh Clark mades great custom grips -about the same price. El cheapo's can be had for $20 - look around the net/links to the left.

If you find MecGar mags - PLEASE let everyone on this forum know. They'll cost about $20 each - same for 3K's which can be found. Orginial era mags start at $50 each and go up quickly from there. See Tom Heller's Link for those.

You got a great deal on the gun - so you can afford to to dress it up a little:^) Enjoy.

Unread 07-31-2001, 06:28 PM   #9
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: Luger grips :)

I can supply Cocobolo grips full checkered @ $50 and border checkered @ $85. Do a search for postings by "Hugh" and there are some pictures of my work posted in April & May that are still viewable. email me and I can email more pics if needed.

Unread 07-31-2001, 07:35 PM   #10
Marvin
User

Hugh's grips are First Class and you will not buy a set any nicer anywhere!

Marvin

Unread 07-31-2001, 07:45 PM   #11
Thor
User

Hugh's Grips are tops! Thor

Unread 07-31-2001, 08:22 PM   #12
Dok
RIP

Default Re: one other question...on the barrel

I have a similar stamp on my 1918 DWM, it was an EG replacement during VOPO service. In really good shape. (Like wet glass Thor says! )

Unread 07-31-2001, 09:33 PM   #13
Don
User

I agree! Hugh also does great work re-checkering originals!

Unread 07-31-2001, 10:27 PM   #14
Hugh
RIP

Default Thanks guys (head hanging & blushing) 8) (EOM

Unread 08-01-2001, 09:21 AM   #15
tom h

Default Re: E.German rework

S.Allen, The C/N and importer markings on your barrel, incdicate to me that this is a recently imported E. German rework that was probably rebarreled in 1953, renumbered to match, if any of the numbers are from a larger die set, and reblued before being exported. $300 is below the current wholesale price on these. I'd like to buy a bunch at that price. Where did you get it?

Unread 08-01-2001, 09:28 AM   #16
tom h

I also have one CMR new brown repro holster that I won on a recent quiz and all currently available types of repro wood and plastic grips and magazines.