LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 07-29-2001, 11:19 AM   #1
DAVID
User

Default competition use experience. long.

I have used the following pistols in competition:

Sig 210: best trigger pull out of the box bar none. accuracy excellent. I shot my 210 for the first time in 1979 in combat competition. Only deficit was the bottom release mag change and the safety lever. Both of these can be modified. Came in 3rd place first time I ever shot the pistol.

Colt 1911A1 shot national match and combat style shooting best safety location, and good mag change. Gun had to be rebuilt almost completely to be useful in competition.

HKP7M8 shot this in combat competition. took some training to get the best out of this pistol. Once the system was learned. I usually won in the top 3 positions.

out the box accuracy was very good, safety and trigger pull excellent out of the box.

Luger: Have shot a well used .30 cal shooter to win many steak dinners in informal accuracy shoots. The safety is impossible to work quickly one handed. I did carry one for a short period of time as it was the only pistol I had at the time. Another shooter in the club had a custom barrelled luger and shot it in National match centerfire course and did very well with it. Sights were square cut and fixed zero to the load he was using.

Astra 600: shot some national match with one when I first got started. gun was very accurate but the grip angle was verry bad and the trigger pull was worse. I fired one of these late at night and just as much fire came from the ejection port as came from the muzzle.

Browning Hi-power. The example I had was very accurate Trigger pull was poor and had to be reworked. Safety was too small and I had it welded larger. Trigger was replaced with a wide trigger. Sights two small and were replace with Smith and Wesson revolver sights.

Just my experience. David

Unread 07-29-2001, 03:54 PM   #2
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,641 Times in 1,002 Posts
Default Outdoor plinking experience....short.... :D.

In some of my earlier outdoor foray's I have encountered some formidible opponents......here's the brake down of a few...(in most encounters, I was armed with a Ruger .22)

1) Battle of the black bird....many hundreds of bullseyes...some survived, most did not!

2) Battle of the bunny!......many hundreds of cottontails and jackrabbits....more survived, but again not many....

3) Battle of the badger...firet major setback....empty clip...badger mounted counter attack, forced to leave the field.....returned with S&W m.27 in .357 mag.....battle of badger brought to a swift conclusion!

3) Battle of the large sick hog.....farmer wanted my friend to shoot a large sick hog with his colt ace....again empty clip....no discernable affect on hog....farmer called off attack....hog got better, lived full life! After some discussion, decided it was a draw........till...later...G.T.

Unread 07-29-2001, 07:04 PM   #3
BILL
User

Default Re: Outdoor plinking experience....short.... :D</strong>
			</div>
			<hr size=
G.T., I take it you have received some trophies or official recognition for this distinguished service. Excellent account of life during wartime.

Unread 07-29-2001, 08:46 PM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,641 Times in 1,002 Posts
Default I should have........ :D

Received some recognition for the badger.....but it was deemed, a serious breech of ethics when I (with great haste!) left the field......and being there was no provision on my Ruger for a bayonet, I could not counter/ counter attack! (badgers are almost impossible to outflank!) I have on occasion, found muskrats to be equally as agressive!......DO NOT go into the wilderness undergunned!! till...later...G.T.

Unread 07-30-2001, 12:20 PM   #5
RET
User

Default Discretion is the better part of valor.

Particularly when confronted by a badger. Hand-to-hand combat is certainly not recommended... No breach of ethics at all! I am certain that Sun Tzu and Klauswitz would concur that you took appropriate action in leaving the field to regroup and reinforce.

Unread 07-30-2001, 08:47 PM   #6
Steve
User

Default Re: competition use experience. long.

David,

I also have an Astra 600 and like it a lot. The grip angle is close to 90 degrees but I like it better than the angles on most pistols. The Luger is at the other extreme and also feels very good. I would give my opinion of liking both extremes better than the ones in the middle. This is not directly concerning Lugers but is short.