LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 01-16-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
edwood
User

Default help with luger troubles,

Hi, myself and a friend picked up a luger at a local gun show, it is a 1938 all matching, it came with a after market mag, the mag spring was so tight on more than 4 rounds you could not make the toggle go back all the way to load it. so I removed the spring and cut 3 coils off the spring and stretched it out, this helped that problem, so I need a third reich era mag. any info on where to buy helpful. also need a grip screw, one is not original.
The big problem is the toggle bolt link, the pin that goes through to hold the two together fell out as I was cleaning it, I reassembled it and found it just pushed through, I also see that there is a very small pin on the top of the toggle that is sticking out appx 1mm and you can see it goes through to the bottom just behind the toggle pin, is this a keeper pin for the toggle pin? on my gdate it is flat with the top of the toggle, and on mine it is out 1mm, this would be fine if the toggle pin was a one way pin, but I can push it through with a tap of a hammer and punch either way. do I need to get a toggle pin replacment? since this is an unmarked part is it ok to replace?
edwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
edwood
User

We found an original luger middle axis pin on ebay for 9.99, but still need to find a grip screw, and a third reich mag. any help in selling or directing me to a place to find one. thanks, also the pin that holds the pin in place I tapped to see if I can move it it is tight, and I do not want to bend or break it. any ideas on how to tap it down when the new pin arrives with out breaking it?
edwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
Hugh
RIP

Ed,

If it was loose enough to slide upwards at one time, it ought to go back down! Try soaking with penetrating oil for a day or so. Tap it with a brass punch, not an steel one, as the brass is softer than the pin and will not tend to "brad" the top. Have you tried Tom Heller for an original magazine? They are also available on ebay.
Unread 01-17-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Ed, I should have all of the items that you need. Contact me at hellerarms@webtv.net