LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 11-04-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
nieuwkot
User

Default Loose grips

I've cleaned up the matching grips on my '16 DWM and got the years of 'gunk' off so it really shows off the wood grain. But having done so the righthand one doesn't seem as tight. I've tried repositioning ie.'cheat' the whole piece more to the right or the top etc, but that didn't seem to help.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
tony
nieuwkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2005, 09:19 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

A technique used to tighten grips that doesn't harm your Luger or its grips provided that you take care in tightening the screws is to use small neoprene "O" rings. These can be obtained in most good hardware stores and home centers like Lowes or Home Depot.

The neoprene ring crushes under the screwhead and provides a tighter grip on the area that has been mashed down by decades of use...

You can also judiciously use small dabs of hot glue applied to the inside of the grip. This can be easily removed by peeling when you need to... and it doesn't show. Make sure that you don't put so much glue that it impedes the insertion or removal of the magazine... the glue won't stick to the oiled metal surface but will form to it and provide a secure grip when it is cooled off.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2005, 10:24 AM   #3
nieuwkot
User

Thanks for the suggestions John.

Obviously don't want to harm the 90 year old wood, but likewise afraid that if the grips are sliding around the thin parts could split and break.
Unread 11-04-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

BTW, I would recommend that you get yourself some shooter grips, and put the nice original ones away for display only.

I recommend the East German VOPO grips with the bullseye logo on the sides... they fit well and feel good. They are great shooter grips.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

I second this, not that I've been shooting, but I found one of my collector pieces with a MISSING part on the grip, the area by the safety.

Then found another one a couple of weeks later! The wood was still there, just broken, I fixed that one, but dang!!!

I assume too much fondeling (well, moving them around from moving the last eight months....)
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2005, 02:05 PM   #6
Rod WMG
User

Ed, fondling is detrimental to our guns???

OH, NO! Say it ain't so!
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2005, 12:05 AM   #7
blsexton
New User

Default Vopo Grips

Thanks for the tip on the Grips, I had the same ? too, any good spots to source those grips? (assuming that's ok with the forum rules)

TIA
blsexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2005, 08:50 AM   #8
nieuwkot
User

Check with Tom Heller; he carries both the plastic Vopo grips as well as repro wood ones. The wood ones were only $5 more so I went with those. They're a bit thicker than the original one, but look sharp. Tom has always treated me right and answers a rookies questions promptly, politely, and gets your order out promptly. He's the man.

tony