LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 10-26-2005, 09:22 PM   #1
Roadkill
User

Default Damn near got stomped by a buck today

Thought some of ya'll might get a kick out of this, interesting morning.
Went out again this am, beautiful day, eased canoe into back waters at 0530, stunning sunrise, a 10" fish jumped into my boat, hard to catch him in the dark, beavers kept slapping their tails at me, creek was thankfully high enough for me to get into the backwaters, I unloaded, set up on an island with back to creek and front to mud flat, 25' up in tree, about 9:00 a doe with spotted fawn came down creek bed to my back and passed, fifteen minutes later two large does crossed directly in front of me, clear shot, I hit the first one dead in the shoulder, she spun 360' then both crashed back into the underbrush. I heard thrashing, ect. I eased down tree carefuly, unhooked safety strap, pulled off a couple of layers of clothes, reloaded crossbow and went after them. No blood, brush was over head high and thick, I kept looking, going round in circles, couldn't see six feet, got on a deer trail that was tunneling under the growth, hit a curve and when I stepped around I was nose to nose with a large 6 point buck. He blew his lungs and jumped toward me, I fell back to the side as he went by, caught my balance, stepped up to see where he went and another one nearly ran over me, didn't have enough time to count his rack cause another deer was following him. They looped around through the undergrowth and jumped into the main channel, swam to another island. Crossbow was useless in that thick stuff, all I had was a hunting knife in my boot. I went back to canoe, smoked a cigar, had some coffee, got my nerve up and went back looking for the wounded deer. Kicked up one more in the underbrush but was about fifteen yards away. Never found the deer. Going to wait a week or so before I go back. In all I saw seven large deer on an island the size of four football fields. This is wildlife management area, bow only, it gets exciting.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2005, 10:22 PM   #2
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Need a hunting buddy?
Mike
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2005, 12:22 AM   #3
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,531 Times in 943 Posts
Default Hunting Story Time

My hunt yesterday. Nice muley. No elk yet, but still at it.

Unread 10-27-2005, 07:13 AM   #4
trigger643
User

The last time I went hunting was with my father about 20 years ago. I had a nice 6 point @ about 300 yrds standing on a ridge outside of Ennis Montana. My dad said I couldn't and shouldn't hit it. I did, and it fell over the ridge and tumbled about 100 yards down the other side. What I thought was a nice clean headshot, turned out to be an antler... when I got to it, it was stuned, not dead... damn thing bucked up as I was fixing to dress it and just about killed me... On the up side, I didn't have to quarter it to haul it up over the ridge... on the down side, I still have the scar on my thigh where it got me...

Now, for the first time in years, I'm hunting next weekend with my brother at Grand Lake for Elk. I drew a cow lisc. I intend on taking my 264winmag pre-64 Winchester, It should be an interesting hunt. I would rather play camp-cook, however. I may not load my rifle.

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2005, 08:20 AM   #5
Roadkill
User

Great picture, good story. I realized very quickly that the advantage definitely was not in my favor. I'm thinking about backing off this bow hunting deal or at least start trying to find a partner.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2005, 09:47 AM   #6
policeluger
RIP

trigger....got a third season cow and bull tags for an area north and west of Denver, being a desert rat not looking forward to the cold, but the hunt should be worth it, wishing you 97.5% luck, would wish you more but I need a little for my self...Wlyon, what a great buck, I got lots of Lugers on the wall, but not a nice buck like that one....will trade Lugers for prime mule/white tail hunts?????
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2005, 07:54 PM   #7
trigger643
User

PoliceLuger, Grand Lake is NW of Denver. Don't be shooting anything you can't identify 100% or at least 97.5%... I drew the cow, my brother has to shoot something with horns. But watch yourself, It may be me, hunched under a tree with a bottle of "warming agent" and wondering why they hell I am there. If I weren't such a "guy" and best big brother, I'd be sitting home, my feet propped up on the table. Still, it's been 22 years since I last hunted (nutrias, gators and coyotes in Louisiana don't count). It's a male bonding thing, I think. My baby brother is looking quite foreward to it. I'll buy some steaks and a couple of trout at king supers before heading up. I doubt we'll kill anything we can eat...

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote