LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 09-21-2005, 05:45 PM   #1
glenadkins
New User

Default replacement parts advice please

I have a 1916 Erfurt that I would like to make a shooter. I don't know which replacement parts are reliable or of the best quality and I would like to put high grade parts in the gun. I want to replace the springs, ejector, mag catch spring, hold open latch and spring, and trigger bar and spring to start. Have looked at several on line companies. Does anyone have advise an which company to use for these parts? Thanks as always for the advise.
glenadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Glen,

Is this gun really a shooting-quality Luger? that is, not matched, or poor external finish or pitted? Or is it a collection quality Luger which you want to shoot?

If it is primarily a Luger to shoot, and the parts you list are existing and functional, there is no need to go to the trouble to replace them. Hand-operate the action, note how strong the recoil spring is, and compare it to another Luger. If it is noticeably weaker, you might want to replace it. Buy a replacement ejector to have on hand when the original one breaks, but do not worry about replacing it before that. Do, by all means, buy a new (aftermarket) magazine, I recommend Mec-Gar; it will go a long way to making your shooting Luger shoot trouble free.

If on the other hand yours is a collection gun which you want to shoot occasionally, the list of parts to replace for protection is quite different from the list you propose. Look through the Shooting and Reloading Forum, you will find recomendations for this activity.

Have a lot of fun shooting.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
the gunman
User

Try tom heller . A gentleman to do business with . 636 447 3006
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2005, 08:00 PM   #4
glenadkins
New User

Dwight,
It is almost all original. The rear toggle piece and extractor are arsenal replacements. The gun jams and I have tried various mags (including a new Mec Gar) with various loads. Better, but still jams. The hold back looks like its been polished. All other pieces are original. I want to save these as I don't want them to break while firing, but I want to make the gun shoot reliably. I was thinking of ordering the replacement spring kit from Wolf and see if that solves the prob, but I don't know what a good main spring feels like nor do I have something to compare it to. G.
glenadkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2005, 09:14 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Glen, From our converstion, it sounds as though you have checked the normal problems. I hope that a new softer recoil spring will solve your feeding jams. If not, I stand ready to assist. TH