LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 06-11-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,530 Times in 943 Posts
Smile Treating holsters

Over the years I have heard many discussions on whether or not to treat luger holsters. I have always treated mine, on a yearly basis with Pecard. I can not see any reason to not adequately protect the leather. They will certaintly last longer. What is the difference between these and old saddles or any other old leather?What do you think?
Unread 06-11-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
Navy
RIP

Pecards is petroleum based and will ruin leather. If you must use something, limit it to Connolly's hide Food, which can be obtained via the internet or at your neighborhood Jaguar/Rolls Royce dealership.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2005, 06:06 PM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

GOD, If I hear of Pecard's one more time I am going to puke. This stuff is evil. I just got in a holster that was covered in this gooey waxy, sticky, slime. It took me four hours to clean it off, cooking it in the sun so it would pool and wiping it off. It will never come off completely. If you want to completely ruin a collectable holster either use Pecard's or
Neatsfoot oil.
Pecard's is developed for use on boots in icy slush. Or leather items in harsh rainy weather to repell water. I called Pecard's as did David Mclain and talked to them at length about their product. They DO NOT recommend it for antique leather! Pecard's denies EVER saying it's product was recommended by the Smithsonian for vintage leather as stated on some dealers web sites. This is an urban myth, like the black widow. Pure stupidity.
Any dealer who sells this waste product for use on vintage holsters is culpable of antique leather genocide.
It's my opinion I would never knowingly buy a holster that has had Pecard's applied to it. How could you not know it.
Tom is quite correct, Connoly's hide food is the best and I usually only use it on new made leather parts. It's better to use nothing on vintage holsters. Instead control the storage environment.

"I can not see any reason to not adequately protect the leather. They will certaintly last longer. What is the difference between these and old saddles or any other old leather?"

Protect it from what? You should be protecting it from people who would slap goo all over them.

What's the difference? The difference is, saddles, bridles and other horse gear is subjected to harsh wet weather and dirt. It is meant to be used abused and eventually wear out. Which it does. In the meantime it would be prudent to put Pecard's on it to repell water. This is OK on working leather that you will clean and maintain and will eventually wear out and be disposed of. Granted it might take a hundred years to do so.

Vintage collectable holsters are an entirely different case in point. One is ostensibly trying to preserve them forever. They need repell no water. They do not need treatment to repell water, This goo only soaks into the leather causing the leather fibers that are held together to slip and slide, losing their natural tension, hence the leather becomes mushy. This is really bad on a hardshell Luger holster.
I implore all the members to throw out this stuff.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2005, 07:56 PM   #4
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,530 Times in 943 Posts

At 70 years old I think I just got a lesson. Actually I do not use much Pecard.Just a dab and wipe it off.I started using it on the advise of an old Colt collector. Obviously he was wrong.I for one will stop using it.Where can I get hide food? We do not have many Jaguar or Rolls dealers in Montana? Thanks for the response. Guess I just lost a place to sell holsters. Darn.
Unread 06-11-2005, 07:58 PM   #5
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Tell me, Jerry, what do you really think about Pecard's?

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2005, 08:40 PM   #6
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally posted by Don M
Tell me, Jerry, what do you really think about Pecard's?

In 50 words or less.
lew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
luger11
User

Connolly's products can be found at www.autogeek.com.

Leo
luger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2005, 09:58 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by wlyon
At 70 years old I think I just got a lesson.
its okay sir, these are nice folks, I had Jerry in my "gun room" and he saw a bottle of Pecards.... I use Connolly's now too You can find it on e-bay, and it works well if your holster needs it.

I try and use nothing, but sometimes it just needs it on some holsters....

Ed
Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2005, 06:32 AM   #9
feldm�¼tze
User

Default Treating holsters

First, hello to all. I'm new to Lugers, having been into Gew98 rifles in recent years, and before that, imperial field hats. I've got my 1st luger coming soon from Ralph Shattuck, and have been following the forum for the last month, picking up as much info as possible.
On Pecards, I've used it on original Gew98 slings, with good reults, even though it's listed on the container as having petroleum distilates. Slings need to be supple, and from the holsters I've handled, one wouldn't want them to be like a sling. I'm just real surprised that Pecards doesn't recommend it for antique leather, as the container calls it Pecards antique leather dressing?
Anyway, it sounds like I need to try some of this Connolys hide food, especially for any luger holster I acquire.
As I stated earlier, I've been following the forum for the last month and am amazed at the knowledge brought forth and shared (and without the bickering I've seen on many other forums). I've been interested in Lugers for years but was hesitant, as I know they've been "boinked with" for many years.
While I've got you here, the luger coming from R.S. is a '14 Erfurt, so of course I've been looking at holsters. What's the opinion on this one value wise, and would the Connolys help tone down the scratches much?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
feldmÃ?¼tze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2005, 08:08 AM   #10
lew1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Value will vary. WWI holsters are on Ebay fairly often. If you watch for a bit, you will get a feel for the range of prices. This will help if you bid on ebay or look for them at gun shows.

Connoly's will help in toning down the scratches if you so wish. But remember that old things, ie: holsters, people, etc are supposed to have scratches, wrinkles, etc. (Myself included of course.)
Unread 07-04-2005, 08:13 AM   #11
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Probably a good buy at $250.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2005, 10:44 PM   #12
Pete Ebbink
User

I have had good luck with Kiwi's Leather Lotion...not a wax or oil based product. Great for scuff removal and no change to color...does not add color to stitching, either...leaves a very nice, subtle satin sheen on the leather when buffed with a clean dry white cotton rag.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote