LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 03-25-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
policeluger
RIP

Default revshop

Has anyone had any dealings with "revshop"....he has several nice looking items on AA and I was curious...thanks
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

I once bought a 1916 LP08 from him. It was delivered and I found that the barrel bore no serial number. I called and returned it, he returned my payment with no problems. Which of his pistols has you interested?
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2005, 02:41 PM   #3
Pete Ebbink
User

Take your pick George...

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=6556471

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=6556481

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=6556499

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=6556516

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=6556505

At least from Auction Arms, his photos are not copy-protected and we can show them on the Luger Forum without the seller coming on board and telling us not to post his photos...as happened 1.5 years ago...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
Luke
User

Beautiful Lugers, Pete. It will be interesting to see at what price they sell.
Unread 03-25-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
Mike Fitz
User

Doesn't "revshop" also sell on the internet as MIDWEST FIREARMS located in Minnesota?
Midwest maintains a website: http://www.midwestfirearms.com/home.html
You need to apply for a password to view the Lugers, Walthers and P-38's.

Mike
Mike Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2005, 03:59 PM   #6
Pete Ebbink
User

Anyone know more about the Lithuanian Border Guard Issue contract...?

How many issued ? Serial number ranges ?

I think I have seen 6-7 for sale with dealers on the Web or at gunshows over the past year. Is this a coincidence or was the contract that large for one guy from CA to see so many for sale in one year...

Regards,

Pete...
Unread 03-25-2005, 10:41 PM   #7
Heinz
User

Pete, I am very leary of that "Gates of Vilnius" marking. I have seen one at an Ohio show and it appeared to have been cut in with a pantograph. It did not look right. That was about two years ago and now they are popping up everyhere. Also Lithuanian history in that period does not seem to support the concept of a special purchase for border guard pistols from Germany. I will check again but I think they were at war with Germany part of the time before the Soviet Union swalloed them up.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2005, 08:25 PM   #8
Big Norm
RIP

Mike,
yes, revshop also does business as Midwest Firearms in Minn. Over the years there has been a lot of discussion reguarding this dealer. My unofficial opinion is that he does a lot of retouching of guns to make them look pretty. I looked at another gun that he has for sale
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=6533628
This is supposedly a chamber dated 1914 DWM rig. I cannot see the serial numbers on the gun. The small picture of the gun makes it look nice. But I think that Jerry Burney would get a laugh at the holster and the mag pouch and there is no mention of the manufacturer or date on them. Pretty new looking for a 90 year old gun. The "matching" stock does not have a proof mark on the side and the wood looks pretty new to me. I cannot see the serial numbers on it either. Again, in my unofficial opinion, he wants some new big bucks ($5,000+) for some equally new gear. For that kind of money, I would want to see some more pictures of this 'rare' Luger. Forget the pictures of all the leather. I already have an opinion of that.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2005, 08:35 PM   #9
Pete Ebbink
User

Burnsville, MN...a bit ironic...
Unread 03-26-2005, 11:33 PM   #10
Mike Fitz
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Norm
Mike,
yes, revshop also does business as Midwest Firearms in Minn. Over the years there has been a lot of discussion reguarding this dealer. My unofficial opinion is that he does a lot of retouching of guns to make them look pretty.
Big Norm
Hi Norm,
I had heard both pro and con comments about Midwest over on the P38 Forum but having never had any dealings with them I didn't want to offer an opinion.
One thing I did notice is that the one picture they show of each weapon is very dark and you really can't make out details.
I understand they will not give out serial number info either.
Regards,
Mike
Mike Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2005, 09:56 AM   #11
RAHamilton
User

Mike:

I have not had any direct business dealings with this shop, but I have visited with a few individuals that have and the basic report is "Caveat Emptor". They are considered by some very experienced collectors, at least in their backyard, which is where we are, to be less than reputable.

Again, I can't provide you with personal experience, but I have tremendous respect for the individuals who have and their comments are pretty universal. The standing comments are; Many of this dealers firearms have been "boosted", or totally misrepresented.

If I were you and wanted to do business with this dealer, I'd make sure you have the right to a period inpection and have the ability to return any item within the inspection period for a complete refund. Good Luck!

Best Regards,
Bob
RAHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2005, 12:31 PM   #12
tudorbug
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

On eBay as well?

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...QQsassZrevshop

Includes two nice looking Swiss holsters, 1917 and 1929.

David
tudorbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2005, 03:54 PM   #13
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Wow!! Nice looking!! Honestly - I haven't had direct dealings with them either, but with the terms of the auction (yes, there is an inspection period) - I'd bid on the items and take a close look upon arrival. I do that on all my purchases anyway - so I'm not sure why this would be any different. So - if I had some money - I'd bid....

As for "other" sellers - I'd get really leary if I read: "Inspection Period / Return Policy AS IS - No refund or exchange" and Please do not ask for more pictures, these are the best that I can do.. But this seller isn't located anywhere near Texas, thankfully

John D.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2005, 05:20 PM   #14
Pete Ebbink
User

These two Swiss holster ran their course through e-Bay in the last week of so...if I recall good, decent bids were offered but the reserve was not met. I think I saw the M1929 holster clock bids around $ 249 and still the reserve was not tapped.

At those prices, I would suggest Swiss luger nuts buy much better conditioned Swiss luger holster from Stefan Mahrer...directly in Switzerland. Even with the shipping costs, Stefan's prices cannot be beat by USA vendors or our auction sites...plus Stefan has a way of finding mint or near mint holster...WAY better than the ones posted above...

http://www.swissdagger.com

Regards,

Pete...
Unread 03-27-2005, 11:03 PM   #15
tudorbug
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Pete:

The 1917 holster went to $170.50 and failed to meet its reserve in an auction closing on March 21st.

The 1929 holster went to $139.50 and also failed to meet its reserve. This auction closed on the same date.

How does these high but unsuccessful bids compare with what might be arranged with Stefan?

David
tudorbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2005, 11:10 PM   #16
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi David,

I paid $ 140 for my near mint M1929 holster and $ 180 for my M1909 also near mint holster holster with magazine pouch attached; both from CH...

In contrast, I ended up paying $ 350 for an excellent M1900 ('04 dated) Swiss holster in near mint condition from a collector on Jan's GunBoard...Stefan had not located one for me and I got impatient...

The holsters from CH were in the past year, but I suspect Stefan keeps his eye on USA pricing...

Regards,

Pete...
Unread 03-28-2005, 03:08 AM   #17
Big Norm
RIP

Mike,
getting back to the 1914 DWM artillery. Many dealers will not give out the serial numbers on Luger pistols for a variety of reasons. Some of these reasons sound pretty good. But with the proliferation of fakery, I personally demand to know the serial number on certain Lugers (not all) and the 1914 DWM artillery is one of these Lugers. These guns are rare and very expensive to a collector. To me, they MUST fall within Jan Stills range of serial numbers for that particular Luger. I have been criticised for adhering to that rule by many. So be it, I don't care. Jan Still knows more than I do so I believe him. Period.
So on the artillery offered by Revshop. I would need more pictures of the gun and all of its serial numbers. I will admit though that early on in my collecting of artilleries, I did buy a 1914 DWM artillery off of this gentleman. The serial number does fall within the above mentioned serial range. But the gun was definately touched up. It was a good job of restoration though and I kept the gun. I, and others better than me, still cannot detect any fake alteration on it.
I find it amazing that this gentleman can find so many rare Lugers. I once talked to Simpson an he told me that he has never had a 1914 DWM artillery for sale. Simpson is a pretty big dealer. Doug Smith of FGS has just one in his personal collection of some 460 plus guns. But Revshop has had two for sale with matching mags and the current one has a matching stock. Come on, give me a break!
Possible, but what are the odds.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2005, 05:47 AM   #18
Luke
User

One has to wonder how many high-quality boosted Lugers have passed through this avenue and were resold later by a subsequent owner (one with no reputation) under less suspicious circumstances . . . . thereby finding their way into the marketplace as authentic collectables.

Sort of justifies one collector's comment that he only buys old beat-up Lugers, as he is confident that no one has messed with them. I have a rare 1914 DWM with triple crown/X proofs and no stock lug. I bought it cheap, and it is only in fair condition and shows no signs that anyone ever tried to improve the appearance. Not pretty . . . . but authentic.
Unread 04-15-2005, 05:24 PM   #19
Pete Ebbink
User

New name on Gun Broker...

Same outfit from Burnsville, MN...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=30631342
Unread 04-15-2005, 06:40 PM   #20
MauserLugers
User

Do you guys remember the K-Date Navy that was being offered for sale a couple of months ago that was bogus? I've looked at 2 personally, had pictures sent to me of another, and then the above mentioned Navy. Visited with a guy who had another also -- so personally know of 5 all made the same way. Do you have any idea who is the source???-- Bill
MauserLugers is offline   Reply With Quote