LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 02-16-2005, 07:18 AM   #1
welder6131
User

Default I got another shooter...thoughts?

Hello to all,

It has been some time since I last posted here because of other obligations, but it is good to be back! Anyway I wanted to get some opinions on the Luger I just purchased. It doesn't match, but then again it does....I know what your thinking, but bear with me.

The main components of the gun when broke down all match themselves, for example....

-The lower reciever all #'s match frame, trigger,grips, takedown lug, holdopen latch etc. have the #26 stamped on them (Erfurt?)

-The bolt all pieces have the #99 on them (Erfurt)

-The upper reciever parts are all correct for its self also (K-date)

Does anyone think it is possible that this is how it came back from the war, or is it likley someone just got lucky find these components in this state? I have heard rumors when these weapons were captured they were broke down into main components and thrown into a pile to be be hastily cleaned for storage, and then reassembled. I don't know how water tight this myth is or not, but Usually when I see a none matching firearm, it is usaully all none matching all over the weapon. (Does that last sentence make sense?)

I also have a holster I haven't been able to identify yet too. It appears to be from Luger era, but have had no good replies on were it came from . I will post pics later if anyone is interested in helping.
welder6131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2005, 08:03 AM   #2
Ron Smith
User

Hi Josh,
Welcome back. Post some photos of the Luger. Hard to determine anything without seeing it. Is it a VOPO or Russian rework? Is it import marked?

Post some photos of the holster. Someone will always be interested.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2005, 08:23 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts

I used to own one just like this, I gave it to my brother, it was a 1940/42. Top half was all matching, bottom half too, but of course different.

I always assumed that US GI's sitting around mixed them up. Might also have been guys when it was imported in the 50's, and they weren't import marked...

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
welder6131
User

This luger is not a rework, nor does it have any import marks on it. I will post pics later on today
Unread 02-16-2005, 08:51 AM   #5
welder6131
User

Oh ya, have the prices on Luger mags sky rocketed the last year or so, or is it just me. I've been watching people on flee bay pay well over a hundred dollars for a fxo 37 magazine. The last time I remember looking at prices they could be had for 70.00 bucks or so in good condition.
Unread 02-16-2005, 09:17 AM   #6
Ron Smith
User

I think, it's mostly "Feeding Frenzy". The I'm going to win this no matter what!!
They are getting a little more spendy, but ebay stuff is kind of nuts.
Common holsters are selling for $300+, etc. Could be sellers speculating on future values also. Just my opinion.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2005, 02:58 PM   #7
welder6131
User

Here are some of those pics I said I would post. The quality isn't great, but it should suffice. I'm positive the holster wasn't made under the Third Reich, but this thing definatly has some age to it. The feel of the leather, the patina on the buckler, The smell of old leather etc. The tool holder is above the buckle under the flap, you can see the corner of it in one of the pictures. The stitching quality definatly isn't German. The stitching also has a off white color to it too. I just bought it because it looked like an interesting holster, the guy I bought it from had it advertised as WWII German (Like everything else on ebay "Original German WWII") I only paid 35.00-40.00 bucks for it so I didn't get raped on the deal. Let me know what you guys think.

welder6131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2005, 07:36 PM   #8
Heinz
User

Welder, I would say Bulgarian. The tool pouch and holster style are a of that type. It may be newer than you think. I cannot tell from the pictures. There is some information on Bulgarians in the Holser section of the forum.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2005, 04:59 PM   #9
welder6131
User

Bulgarian.......huh.. never would have guest that! What do you think the intial value of these are, I've never really looked at the market for these types of holsters (bulgarian). You say it may not be that old.....any guess of approximate age? If anyone out there is interested in this holster let me know.

I just purchased a WWI Luger holster today, I will post some pics of it when it arrives. I've been looking for sometime and finally struck it lucky on this one!