LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-29-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
MarkC
User

Default Another 1938 find!

Guys,

I was in the gun shop last weekend when a gentleman came in wanting to sell a 1938 S/42 all matching (except the mag) Luger for $500.00!

Because the AG passed "consumer protection" laws in MA, the gun shop can't buy any guns not on the "approved" list of guns if there is no documentation that the gun was in MA prior to 1998......

However a C&R licensed individual can purchase the gun.

I picked up the gun today and all parts match except the grips that are marked, left grip #1, right grip #2 Z .... ???

What the heck is that? The mag is a WWII one with the e/655 marking. The gun is in 98-99% with a little freckling on the grip strap.

Is this considered a mismatched Luger?

I posted info on another 1938 "shooter" because the side plate and grips were not marked, in a previous post ........ OK that one is not right.

Is this gun OK?............ for $500 I did not do bad, but what about the grips? It is super minty and not refinished. The seller is plumber who got 3 lugers from a guy who couldn't pay the bill...... 30 years ago.

also........................ here is the big thing!

He had a wooden box with a .22 conversion kit, in mint condition, with the toggle, .22 barrel insert and mag. The toggle serial number on the kit was 4872a with all the small parts marked 72, including the mag. It had Nazi acceptance stamps on the small parts as well and what appeared to be an e/s on the toggle. The top of the wooden, felt lined box, also had a faded red marking on the cover of the box.

He does not want to sell it but what do you guys think it worth? Is it rare?

I may have a shot at it, any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Last edited by MarkC; 01-30-2005 at 09:54 AM.
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2005, 10:56 PM   #2
Doug G.
User

Mark, if the gun is all matching and you got it for $500 you should feel bad and send it to me! You got a great deal if all matching and a good deal if not. Mismatched guns sell for that much or more on Ebay for parts content. Others may correct me, but I think that the Nazi era guns don't always have numbered grips.
As for the .22 conversion kit, if Nazi proofed I believe it is worth $650-$750+. This is of course if it is a complete kit.
Unread 01-29-2005, 11:42 PM   #3
triberg
User

Mark--

I have a Mauser 1940. All numbers match. Both of my grips have the 655 mark. In addition, each grip is marked "II" (like Roman Numerals--not the number 1). Not sure exactly what that signifies, as the last two digits of the guns serial number is not "11".
triberg is offline   Reply With Quote