LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-04-2005, 09:47 PM   #1
southriv
User

Default Getting back into it

I am another newbie to Luger collecting â?? actually, kind of a returnee. About 30 years ago I used to live in Colorado. Those who were there in the â??Glory Daysâ? might remember the numerous guns shows and (more painfully) the pricing. Anyway, many Lugers, Walthers and P-38s passed though my hands, but finishing my higher education took precedence and everything was sold expect for my Colt SAAâ??s

Now, Iâ??m trying to get back and, of course, sticker shock & lack of knowledge have been limiting factors. I got my C&R last year and that has been most helpful. I have poured over some of the popular Luger books and looked at some sites & auctions with Lugers for sale. I have come up with sort of a starting wish list that I think I can afford. Iâ??ll first precede that list with some information I was given to begin my search, which may or may not be correct and/or good advice

First, I was told to only buy 9mm examples.

Second, I was told that matching numbers examples with 95% finish are the best to consider for collecting. Non-matching, regardless of finish are best considered as shooters.... Personally, the better the craftsmanship - the happier I am. As far as wear goes (again this is a personal thing) I would consider more wear with less finish showing carefull maintenance as opposed to more finish but numerous dings and scratches - but this doesn't seem to fly in some collector circles.

Third, Donâ??t worry too much about getting a perfect bore. I concur on this. I have shot many military 1911â??s that lived on a steady diet of corrosive primer and have always been amazed at how well they shoot.

Fourth: One should not shoot collectors. I have a bit of a hard time with this. I know, something could break, but I used to tell myself that every time I romped with the old corvette I used to have.

Based somewhat these considerations, I have started a (very short) list, which I think is in my budget based on these models:

1. WWI DWMs up to 1918
2. A 1934-42 Mauser Code 42 or BYF

These seem to be the most plentiful and therefore, perhaps the best choice and price. I have a lot to learn here. I would like to add artillery models, navys and Swiss variations to the list but they seem to be drifting just out or reach. Any advice and where is best to look with my imperfect knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob
southriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 10:49 PM   #2
Ron Smith
User

Hi Bob, I would start with some of the reputable on- line dealers. Bob Adams, FGS, DWF, Simpson Ltd., just to name a few. These all are pretty highly thought of by a lot of the members on both forums.

Start hitting the larger gun shows in your area. That's pretty much the way most of us do it.

The on line auctions will sometimes have a good score come up. Just be sure to contact the sellers first, and ask a lot of questions. If they start hedging or don't want to respond, back off.

Just my .02 worth, Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 11:29 PM   #3
southriv
User

Thanks Ron, I've been checking out some of the dealers you've mentioned. Who's DWF?

Bob
Unread 01-05-2005, 01:16 AM   #4
tracyp
User

I think Ron means DFW (Dallas-Fort Worth Arms). I haven't dealt with them, so I can't say if they're good or not. Of the dealer that Ron mention, I have only had dealings with Simpsons. They seem honest but a little on the expensive side.

Tracy
tracyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2005, 08:25 AM   #5
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Bob, welcome to the Luger Forum!

Your 4 point program is okay, except for #1!!!!!!!!!! There are nice 30 Cal Lugers available and you have eliminated a large area of collecting interest. But, if you are interested in shooters, as opposed to collectables, then the 9 mm is best from a cartridge cost consideration.

One point regarding your #2 is that if it isn't all matching, it's not considered collectable.

If you are going for a shooter, I would tend toward the WWII Mauser Lugers, only because the steel alloys were improved between the WWI and WWII pistols. I have both in my shooter cabinet and find them both very adequate.

Good Luck in finding a nice one!!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2005, 08:38 AM   #6
Ron Smith
User

Tracy,

Thanks for the correction. I was a bit dislexic last night.
Bob,

I did mean DFW. They have been recommended to me. And have been said to be trustworthy.

There Frank go's with that Mouser thing again.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2005, 11:11 AM   #7
southriv
User

Frank. I agree with you on #1 - especially with so many of the beautiful Swiss variants. Also, it wopuld seem that the shoulder on the 7.65 would provide for reliable feeding.

I mentioned it because it is a bias I've heard more than once.

Bob
Unread 01-05-2005, 02:44 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Bob, I think 7.65mm is not as popular, simply because of cost. Cartridges cost so much more, 9mm is so cheap, that 7.65 just doesn't seem worth it. But, for an average 30 Luger, i.e. 1923 Commercial (old name), they are about the least valuable, even in really nice shape.

A nice matching in reasonable shape will go up in value, a nice but mismatched one will rise much slower...

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote