LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 05-12-2004, 05:04 PM   #1
P. Ristan
User

Post OT: Need identification of this C96-stock

I just bought a C96/1916 in 9mm. It came with an unnumbered holster-stock. The stock has been with the gun since 1945, that has been proven. The gun is 1920-stamped.

But what kind of stock is this???
It is not a c96/1930-stock, nor is it a schnellfeuer-stock.. I have compared it with both original WW1 military stocks, and standard civilian c96 stocks from the same period. And I'm quite sure it is produced during ww1 or early weimar period. Also quite sure it is mauser-produced. But are there many unnumbered stocks known? Or is this rare? A replacement stock perhaps?

Here are 3 photos:

http://www.blinkskudd.net/Album/imag.../c96stokk1.jpg

http://www.blinkskudd.net/Album/imag.../c96stokk2.jpg

http://www.blinkskudd.net/Album/imag.../c96stokk3.jpg

http://www.blinkskudd.net/Album/imag.../c96stokk4.jpg

http://www.blinkskudd.net/Album/imag.../c96stokk5.jpg

I can take more photos if it is needed...

Thanks!
P. Ristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2004, 10:48 AM   #2
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,205 Posts
Hi,

'The Dutch Luger' has a stocked C96 pictured on pages 55 and 56. This stock looks identical to that one, an early C96-stock.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2004, 07:56 AM   #3
trigger643
User

Could I see a profile of the attaching iron? At first glance it appears to be a standard M903 or M904, F or E Model Astra stock. The Lug plunger on an Astra has a different profile from a Mauser and is usually numbered on the left side. The inner lid should also be numbered with the complete SER#, unless it was a replacement. As there are no acceptance marks on the body of the stock just below the hinge, that rules out a Pre-1919 military mauser stock.

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2004, 08:34 AM   #4
P. Ristan
User

I have also thought about that possibility.. But there is no number on the locking-lever, like on the Astra-stocks.. There is no number on the inner lid either.

And all the small details are identical to a mauser-stock made in the timeframe 1914-1929.

I really think this is a mauser-produced stock, buf can not be sure... But it is no doubt made pre 1945 anyway...

So what can it be??

Here are two pictures of the locking-lever:

http://www.blinkskudd.net/Album/imag.../misc/las3.jpg

http://www.blinkskudd.net/Album/imag.../misc/las4.jpg

As you can see, no number here either.... (So maybe not an Astra-stock??)

I really would like to have this stock identified.. Really irritating to have something you do not know what is...
Unread 05-15-2004, 09:33 AM   #5
trigger643
User

Certainly not Astra or Chinese. It is a Mauser Stock. It is not that uncommon to have an unnumbered stock. With the pistol being 1920 stamped, was the barrel also shortened and the rear sight fixed? (a very few were not so altered)

I would suspect you have a pre-1930 production commercial stock. The original for the C96/1916 would have had the irons #'d to the original pistol and have the identical depot exceptance mark as found on the right side of the receiver or the front of the magazine well stamped on the body below the hinge.

If the pistol were altered in 1920 to meet treaty specifications, it would have likely been issued with a leather holster (especially true if it went to France as part of the war reparations).

Unread 05-15-2004, 10:27 AM   #6
P. Ristan
User

The barrel is not shortened, and the rear sight is adjustable. I own two of theese 1920-stamped "red nines" that has not been shortened..

Here is a picture of the gun in question:

http://www.blinkskudd.net/Album/imag...istol/c962.jpg

The holster-stock is not stamped with a military acceptance mark.. But some of my other C96 stocks are.

This gun did not go to France... This gun came here to Norway in 1940 with german troops. The holster-stock has been with the gun since 1945.

But I thought all commercial holster-stocks produced 1914-1930 were numbered? Is this wrong?
Unread 05-15-2004, 11:10 AM   #7
trigger643
User

M1930 stocks are not numbered as a rule. Military issue stocks are numbered on the iron, as are "most" pre-1918 commercial stocks, but only if they left the factory with a pistol. Stocks were also sold separately, and these would be unnumbered.

Unread 05-16-2004, 06:29 AM   #8
P. Ristan
User

Ok..
Thanks!
But what about commercial stocks produced 1918-1930?? I thought most of theese also were numbered to the gun? (I have a late post-war bolo with matching presentation grade-walnut stock...)
Unread 05-21-2004, 07:55 AM   #9
RAHamilton
User

I have a C96 wooden holster that is pretty much a mirror of the one you show in your pictures. It is also unnumbered or serialed to the C96 that is with it. It does, however, have a couple of other features. First, on the outside of the wooden flap is stamped "Germany" and on the inside of the main body of the holster (on top of the wood) just in front of the hinge there appears to be a "W" or perhaps an "M" stamped in the wood as well. Anyone have any ideas on these markings? I assume the "Germany" stamped on the outside of the flap would indicate a commercial holster or import stamp, but I'm not certain.

Thanks,
Bob
RAHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2004, 12:27 PM   #10
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,121 Times in 1,432 Posts
Bob, Germany was stamped on German Pistols and holsters etc. When it was meant to be imported into an English speaking Country. Even some Military items were stamped Germany after WW1 when they were imported into the U.S. I have an Imperial German Navy Luger stock, fully military marked and serialed but has Germany marked in the stock block well. It was sold into the U.S. after the War. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2004, 04:35 PM   #11
pisto
User

Hello,
Paolo is a collector who did show that some 1930 stocks are numbered, that all you can read in the following topic of J.C. Stills forum of Okt.2003

http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=507

I think too, that it is not too unusual to have a unnumbered stock.
I have several of them, 2 1930 stocks and one which I belive is a Bolo Stock, with the Mauser logo on the side.
all of them are not numbered.
The very early stocks i have seen however are numbered with the full serial numbers!!! They are milled out in a little bit different kind ( the bottom where the magazine is, is flat and not rounded like in the more modern ones for example.
pisto is offline   Reply With Quote