LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 04-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #21
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

yes, and no, give us the serial number w/ suffix....

ways to figure it out, certain suffixes were made only certain years

ask Don when that police unit was in existence, as that will help narrow it down

look at the bottom of the lug on see what kinds of markings are on it (this won't help much)

Etc, everything is guess work when the top and bottom don't match, but you can do a guess
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #22
jags
User

Thanks for the insight. I don't have the luger in my posession yet so all I have to go by are the photos I have posted here. The photo with the frame serial number is not clear enough to see the suffix. When I get it in my possesion I will look for these markings.

I really do appreciate all the info you guys have provided. I bought this as a shooter so I never expected to really get much "history" out of it. It is fun and interesting to try to do the "detective work" to discover what ever history you can.

I definately see how and why collecting the Luger can become so addictive!!

Thanks to all of you once again!
jags is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to jags for your post:
Unread 04-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #23
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
Is there anyway to date a military frame without the barrel date?
Now that some photos are available, it is possible to answer a number of questions.

The upper is probably from a reworked Landjägerei 1917 DWM LP08 as described in http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=20449. The brad on the sear safety appears to be blued indicating the upper was reblued sometime after the safety was installed.

The frame appears to have the serial number 2905s. If this is correct, it is almost certainly from a 29 DWM, manufactured in 1929. The marking on the grip strap (L.T.8.) is from the Landjägerei of the district of Trier and further supports that the frame is from one of the 29 DWMs that were issued to the police in 1929-30.

The grip strap marking is quite rare (HWIS pp.194-5).

Author of History Writ in Steel: German Police Markings 1900-1936
http://www.historywritinsteel.com
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Don M for your post:
Unread 04-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #24
jags
User

Wow!! Thanks Don! I guess there is more history we can squeze out of this girl!

The barrel/extension is quite obvious to date. Nice to know the information about the sight notch at the front of the receiver. I'll try to provide more info on any barrel markings once I get the gun in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
The frame appears to have the serial number 2905s. If this is correct, it is almost certainly from a 29 DWM, manufactured in 1929.
What really amazes me is how you can deduce that the frame may be from a 1929 DWM. I would think that without any other markings other than the serial number it could have been from almost any year. If it is an "s" suffix (and I'll check that when I see it) that would narrow down to years that only had "s" frames made. But I see that there where a few years with "s" suffix frames made. Any insight on how you could be so sure that it would have been a 1929 frame just based on this?

Quote:
The marking on the grip strap (L.T.8.) is from the Landjägerei of the district of Trier and further supports that the frame is from one of the 29 DWMs that were issued to the police in 1929-30.
How would the police markings on the grip strap further support that it was made in 1929? It does look like the frame was blued after the police markings where made, plus the markings are very nicely done. Were the new guns that were manufactured in 1929 marked with the police markings and then blued and finished? If so, yes, I can see why it would be easy to deduce it was a 1929 frame. Please elaborate if you can.

Also, I read that there were 24,000 guns made for the Police forces in 1929 that had "s", "t", or "u" suffixes. Would these guns have the last 2 #s of the serial number also stamped on all the other parts of the gun as was the norm for military guns? Or would the other parts be blank or have small numbers like the commercial models?

Quote:
The grip strap marking is quite rare (HWIS pp.194-5).
Nice to see that this piece has some rarity to it. Why is this rare? Was this a small unit? What other information can you provide me on the Landjägerei of the district of Trier.

Thanks again for all your help! What would be a fair price for this Luger?

Last edited by jags; 04-04-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Unread 04-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #25
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

In the cold light of dawn, I should revise my statement about the frame to say it is "probably" a 29DWM. It could be an Imperial-era frame but I lean toward the 29DWM because of the prevalence of them among Landjägerei Lugers. The unit marking definitely was stamped after bluing because it has a halo.

The history of the Landjägerei, including those of Trier, is addressed in History Writ in Steel. This unit had about 150 men but less than a handful of L.T. markings have been reported.

Unread 04-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #26
jags
User

Thanks Don!

I emailed the gentleman I'm getting the Luger from and he says the suffix is the letter "b". I looked at a "suffix chart" and see that the "b" and "s" are very similar and the picture is not clear enough to see what it actually is. When I get it in hand I will try to get a better picture so we can determine for sure.

Also I did some more research and see that if it is an "s" suffix it could only be a 1929 or possibly a 1918. 1918 was the only year the production went high enough to reach the letter "s". Also, like you said, they made 24,000 specifically for the police in 1929 and 9,999 of those would have had the "s" suffix.

Now if it's a "b" suffix it would have to be an Imperial-era frame as the later "commercial alphabet" started with the letter "i".

Like you I'm leaning toward it being a 1929 frame. We'll see once we can take a good close look at that suffex letter. One question though, would these 1929 guns have the last 2 #s of the serial number also stamped on all the other parts of the gun as was the norm for military guns? Or would the other parts be blank or have small numbers like the commercial models?

I'm glad we have found at least the frame for another Luger of the Trier Landjägerei. I'm going to try to see if I can find a copy of your book somewhere locally. I live in a small town here in Hawaii so I don't think I will find it. Just wish it wasn't so expensive as I would buy one. My last name is Jaeger so it would be very interesting to read up on the Landjägerei!!

Thanks again and I'll keep you all updated as things unfold.
Unread 04-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #27
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Eric,

As you note, if it is a b, the frame is from an Imperial-era Luger. The two other Lugers with L.T. markings I have recorded in HWIS are both 1918 DWMs with b suffixes.

Looking harder at the available photos I see that the barrel extension and perhaps the barrel have been heavily buffed. However, the breech block and toggle train appear to be in their original condition. The rear toggle link appears to have a police acceptance stamp which would suggest that the toggle link is also from a reworked LP08. Its serial numbers 05 match those of the frame 2905 as does the side plate.

It's beginning to look more like you will be getting a Luger that has a frame, toggle train and side plate from a reworked LP08 but with a barrel extension and possibly barrel from another Luger. Very odd!

We'll just have to wait until you can examine it in person and hopefully post some detailed photos.

Although your question about serial numbering of 29DWMs may be moot for your pistol, those that were issued to the police had commercial style numbering from the factory but the police added military style numbering on receipt so most have both.

Unread 04-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #28
jags
User

Quote:

It's beginning to look more like you will be getting a Luger that has a frame, toggle train and side plate from a reworked LP08 but with a barrel extension and possibly barrel from another Luger. Very odd!
Yes it looks like we are coming to some agreement on all this. Once I get the pistol in hand I will check for all the minor details. It is interesteing that it seems that, even though they came from 2 different guns, both the barrel/receiver and the frame/toggle assembly may have gone through the same standard police retrofit procedure. Furthermore, both may have started their lives as LP08s!

Thanks again for all the info!
Unread 04-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #29
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The key to the barrel/receiver question will be the markings on the barrel.

I also note that the left grip has been replaced (and probably the right) since the mag safety was removed. If it was present when the mag safety was in place the left grip would be missing the upper left corner which had to be removed to allow the mag safety to function.

Unread 04-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #30
jags
User

Quote:
I also note that the left grip has been replaced (and probably the right) since the mag safety was removed. If it was present when the mag safety was in place the left grip would be missing the upper left corner which had to be removed to allow the mag safety to function.
Yes I kind of figured that also that the grips were replaced. Ok to me as a shooter.

From what you've seen could you give me a fair market price estimate for this shooter?

Thanks!
Unread 04-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #31
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

This is definitely a shooter and I think its value would depend on its mechanical condition which we know nothing about. Assuming it feeds, shoots straight, etc., I would estimate around $600 but I am not a good source for value estimates. Maybe Ed Tinker or someone else will chime in.

The following member says Thank You to Don M for your post:
Unread 04-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #32
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

$650-$850, everything depends on how it looks, sometimes a bit less, and also where you live and who is buying it....
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 04-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #33
jags
User

Thank you gentlemen!

As I mentioned I have just bought this Luger and it is being sent to me as we speak. It is being represented to me as a good shooter. Price was right in the middle of Ed's figures plus I am in Hawaii where these things are very difficult to find and purchase. So it looks like all is good and I have received a fair deal.

Once I get it in hand and can determine the markings more accurately I'll let you all know what additional information I may find. I realize that this is not a collector piece and I purchased it as a shooter, but determining some of it's history has been very enlightening and kind of fun!!

Thank you both again for all your help! If you ever need a place to stay in Hawaii please let me know as I own and operate the Halemalu Vacation Villa. www.halemalu.com I'll give you both a great deal!
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #34
jags
User

As we wait for my Luger to arrive, I have a question for Don. In your research of different police units have you found any units that have a high percentage of the 1929 made police issued Lugers?

I have a theory that the production of the 24,000 1929 police Lugers is directly connected to the 1929 decree that the police should have the 4 inch barrel lugers. I do not think that when a police unit sent in their Lugers to be reworked that they would receive these same Lugers back. Too big of a logistical headache. Instead the first units ordered to turn in their pistols actually received a batch of the new 1929 Lugers first. That way they would not be without guns. Then, as the government received more and more of the old Lugers and had a chance to rework them, they would then start issuing these reworked pistols along with some of the new ones to other police units.

If this was the case there should be a few police units that received all new 1929 models at the very onset of the program. Thus these units would have a high percentage of 1929 models. I'm curious if any of the data you have may back up this theory of mine.

Let me know what you think and if this makes any sense. It seems logical to me.

Thanks!

Last edited by jags; 04-09-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Unread 04-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #35
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The Landjägerei had a very high percentage of 29 DWMs although many other Prussian police units had some as well. The data tables in HWIS demonstrate this.

Unread 04-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #36
padredan
User

Jags, i myself think you maybe very correct in your assumption. The picture of my 1929 dwm police , most concure on here it was a new gun when issued to the Landicejer police. Others on the forum may have ideas on this matter. Hope to see some pictures of your new purchase and welcome to the forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02022.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	25693  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0106 12 019.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	25694  

Unread 04-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #37
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

The photo of the toggle train isn't quite sharp enough to make out, but the rear toggle is from either an Erfurt or possibley a Simson (if the mark is an E/6). This must have been put together from several pistols, including the very rare unit marked frame.

Take your time with dis-assembly, cleaning and lubrication. Especially be careful when removing the grips. Lift the left one only slightly before sliding it away from the safety lever. Hopefully you'll find it in good mechanical and shooting condition. They are quite a bit of fun to shoot. I'm left handed, and especially like the cartridge cases ejecting over my head instead of across my face...

Marc
Unread 04-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #38
jags
User

Thanks for the great comments! This is my first Luger, and I know it doesn't match, but I bought it as a Shooter and to fill out my Indiana Jones handgun collection. So I'm looking forward to it!

Quote:
The Landjägerei had a very high percentage of 29 DWMs although many other Prussian police units had some as well. The data tables in HWIS demonstrate this.
Yes Don. Were there any specific Landjägerei units in which the data shows them only having the new 1929 issues 100%? If so this would support my theory that the new 1929's where issued to a few units first before the reworked guns got thrown into the mix.

Any one else with any thoughts regarding this?

Last edited by jags; 04-09-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Unread 04-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #39
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

When you receive your Luger, please take good closeup pictures of the serial number and suffix on the frame above the trigger guard. It could still well be that the suffix is a "s"...

This frame serial number including the suffix would be the serial number to record as describing your Luger.

Marc
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #40
Don M
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
Were there any specific Landjägerei units in which the data shows them only having the new 1929 issues 100%? If so this would support my theory that the new 1929's where issued to a few units first before the reworked guns got thrown into the mix.
The data tables in Chapter 13 of HWIS indicate nearly all of the Landjägerei units had 100% 29DWMs. There are a few exceptions, such as the Trier district. These may have received P08s later from the growing supply of reworked LP08s.

I applaud your interest in learning more about the "big picture" regarding these guns and police units. One of the reasons that I included virtually all of the available data in HWIS was to provide resources for further research by others. Considering your interest, I would encourage you to obtain a copy of HWIS. I believe it will answer many of your questions or provide a starting point for further inquiry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
The photo of the toggle train isn't quite sharp enough to make out, but the rear toggle is from either an Erfurt or possibley a Simson (if the mark is an E/6).
The parallel thread about reworked Landjägerei LP08s on Jan Still's forum (http://luger.gunboards.com/showthrea...JÄGEREI-LP08s) generated more responses and led to the discovery that the markings on the rear toggle links were police acceptance stamps (e.g., */D) indicative of replacement by the police armory during the conversion process. I suspect we will find that that is what is stamped on jags' pistol.