LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 11-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
mundy928
User

Default I had a crazy idea, Looking for some input...

I was thinking about my shooter Luger and where it sits on its useful life. The laws of supply and demand have been working on Lugers and on Luger parts. Many shooter pistols are tired and many of the really great Lugers a person would be crazy to shoot.

I started thinking about the gun kit culture that has sprung up in the last 10 years or so. Someone will buy an 80% to 100% receiver or frame and buy parts kits to build their own custom gun. It is very popular in the 1911 and Ar-15 crowds. With the advent of the internet, and computer aided machining it is possible for companies to do small runs of part kits and frames at prices that would be impossible in the past.

One of the reasons that there are 1911 and Ar-15 kits and no kits for niche type guns is all based on market size and the cost and supply of parts. A small company can't invest its capital on a product with a high level of risk.

Now here is the crazy idea... There are sites like Kickstarter.com that allow small businesses to collect sales from regular people and if the break even point is met, they will produce and ship the item to everyone that paid in advance. if the break even point is not met, every customer is refunded the sale. It eliminates all production risk for a product line.
Now lets say someone created a kickstarter with the goal of making high fidelity luger kits (where all parts would be interchangeable to an authentic production luger in function and quality). For the sake of example, lets say the break even point is 500 commitments at $250 for a supplier to produce 100% frames and 750 commitments at $600 to get the other 43 odd parts produced and bundled together. You make the frame the serialized part and ship it directly from the manufacturer to each person's FFL to avoid any issues with the ATF. The world would now have 500 brand new noncollectable Lugers at $850 a pop for shooting and enjoying as well as a bunch of new, hard to find parts to keep all the real guns running.
So is this the most crackpot idea ever or is there anybody else that thinks this would be a good thing? I've got thick skin.
mundy928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,288 Times in 426 Posts

Are your dollar figures based on actual estimates from a manufacturer? If not, a reality check is in order.

Guaranteeing plug-and-play will be an issue.

The Luger is a very niche market. Mauser/Interarms and the various incarnations of Orimar didn't manage to crack it in any serious way, Norinco built prototypes but decided against production. I don't mean to be negative, but you are swimming against a strong tide.

You might get serious traction if you make this in cal. .45acp.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts

it might be possible with the newer CNC machines, however lets look at what we know and then rumours.

1. Mauser made new made lugers in the 1970's, and they sold only okay, plus you can still get them new in box for around $1000-$1400

2. Mitchel arms (and other names) made them for years in stainless and they have always had issues with mechanically having problems

3. Rumours - I have heard rumours of 45 lugers being made at least twice in the last 10 years using CNC, one failed, the other one is still trying.

4. I know a guy who makes parts, they look very good, but think that the amount would be about double what you state or more.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #4
mundy928
User

Smile

Are your dollar figures based on actual estimates from a manufacturer? If not, a reality check is in order.

Ignoring stocking availability, the cost to purchase every part of a Luger at today's individual retail price would be $966.60 for all parts except the frame. Lugerman's only Frame is $350.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...093.htm?page=1

http://www.lugerman.com/Pages/MainPages/Parts.html

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/lugerp08.aspx?page=2

Individual retail is always more expensive then package wholesale. usually by a large multiplier. especially in a market where there is no package wholesale.

Here are some examples of 1911 parts kits containing the same types of parts and quantities as required. Many of these kits are from real small time manufacturers
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/partskits.aspx
http://www.uspatriotarmory.com/1911-...arts_c_79.html
http://aresarmor.com/store/Category/1911

100% Frames
http://www.brownells.com/items/1911-frame-kit.aspx
http://www.1911store.com/sti-1911-fr...tandard-3.aspx
http://www.shootersconnectionstore.c...pian-C490.aspx

Guaranteeing plug-and-play will be an issue.
1911 kits are usually not plug and play either, the good ones however only need a dremel and some other basic tools to smooth out problems. Stuff that can be done on a standard gun hobbist's kitchen table. I think a lot of problems can be solved by using a high quality numbers matching gun as the template for measurement.

The Luger is a very niche market. Mauser/Interarms and the various incarnations of Orimar didn't manage to crack it in any serious way, Norinco built prototypes but decided against production. I don't mean to be negative, but you are swimming against a strong tide. They were trying to make a profit selling a completed collector gun on the retail market with associated overhead, marketing, and liability while trying to keep the cost lower than the real gun 20 years ago. I'm talking about selling a wholesale parts kit, with no advertising or overhead.

You might get serious traction if you make this in cal. .45acp.
There are so few .45 acp versions that I feel there would be way more problems. the idea is to make good shooters to help out the hobby.

Thanks for the input. Negativity is a good thing, that's how I can find out if this is a good or bad idea.
Unread 11-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
mundy928
User

1. Mauser made new made lugers in the 1970's, and they sold only okay, plus you can still get them new in box for around $1000-$1400
My understanding was that you could still get real surplus Lugers very cheap in the 1970s. valid point however, most people have to do a fair amount of digging to find one and by that time they already discounted buying a luger or bought something else. (i wanted one and couldn't find one for sale at a reasonable price)

2. Mitchel arms (and other names) made them for years in stainless and they have always had issues with mechanically having problems.
my understanding (and I could be wrong) is that their build quality was pretty junky for what they cost.

3. Rumours - I have heard rumours of 45 lugers being made at least twice in the last 10 years using CNC, one failed, the other one is still trying.
I had heard he was hand making them for crazy money. I wouldn't even attempt it. it seems like a whole other level of discussion.

4. I know a guy who makes parts, they look very good, but think that the amount would be about double what you state or more. That's valid. This all comes down to economy of scale
Unread 11-13-2015, 09:27 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Mundy, An experienced West Coast dealer/restorer had originally proposed making 1000 M1907 Cal ,45 lugers @$1,500 each, but found that the demand would not be more than 100, so the price is now $15,000 each. This may be an indication of the demand and cost involved. Even when John Martz was modifing existing PO8 parts into great functioning .45 lugers, the cost was $5,000 each. I doubt that we'll see any interchangable parts kits at a reasonable price in my life time. TH
Unread 11-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
P08Leder
User

I bought a reblued 1918 Erfurt shooter for $650.
Mechanically excellent and tight. Shoots great.
You would have to beat that price point for a non-collectable shooter P08 IMHO
P08Leder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2015, 11:35 AM   #8
danielsand
User

I'll chime in on this one, because I find the idea intriguing.

The big obstacle is numbering of all the parts of the pistol. Manufacturers numbered them in the past for one reason only (and it's not to have "all matching" pistols!). They numbered them in order to be able to assemble the pistol with the parts that "belong" to the particular unit after the bluing. Which tells us that a certain level of intolerance was machined into the parts, and MOST small parts had to be individually hand fitted to the EXACT unit.

This means that there are no two completely alike out there (down to microns)! Some of the members here are accomplished gunsmiths, and they will attest to the need of hand fitting the replacement parts to the weapons they work on. On another hand......MOST Parabellum owners/collectors ARE NOT knowledgeable and/or equipped for gunsmithing.

So which weapon would a "starter company" use for the template to replicate the parts on CNC machine (which is VERY possible)? And how would the end user fit their replacement parts to the weapon needing the new parts? Taking it all to the gunsmith, and have it "hand fitted"? This alone would push the final cost well beyond the price of the "non matching shooter" available today pretty much anywhere (there are thousands of them in circulation). Spare parts are still available in abundance (and they also need to be "hand fitted"!).

To replicate the same weapon over and over on CNC is quite possible, but the quality of such produced unit would be no better than what Interarms attempted in the past (possibly worse), and would have VERY limited market (IMO). "Parts kits" that would be offered for repair of genuine pistols would all have to be fitted (some extensively) to each individual, vintage pistol.

So far, these pistols survived in such quantity thanks largely to unselfish, altruistic collectors, which see themselves as "guardians/caretakers" of the historical pieces that are merely preserving them for the next generation. These people somehow established the "matching numbers value", and "non matching value" to fit certain pistols. As we all know, there are very few pistols out there that have matching magazines, holsters, etc. Non matching magazines are OK, but god forbid one internal part is "mismatched"!! I think it's hypocritical.

There are other, selfish bastards (like myself) that have "matching" pistols, and shoot them (not extensively mind you!), with complete awareness that some original (numbered) part might break, and make them "worth less" in the future. Worth less to who, I ask? Descendants that will sell it at the first opportunity, and take a vacation to Bahamas? Personally,..... I couldn't care less!

There are more selfish bastards like me out there, and the number of "matching" pistols will inevitably get smaller and smaller, in the next century, until there will be only "shooter grade" weapons circulating in the world. Does it matter? In my experience, there might be a handful of young people out there that are even remotely interested in WW2, or history in general.

Even non matching ones are shooting good, they are marvels of the technology from the late 19th century, and good to look at. Newly produced "shooter" will never have the attractiveness of the historical piece ("been there, done that"), "matching", or "not", for someone interested in history.

In summary......I don't see this idea as a viable, profit generating idea, but if one has tons of surplus money/time, it would be fun (in a way of saying "look guys, I did this!!"). All I see is deadlines, expenses, contracts, bills, customer service, employees/payroll, workman's comp, insurance, ATF, EPA, IRS.........everything I ran away from, and the time is running short!

Sorry about the rant. I don't post much, but boy.......when I do I write novels!
danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to danielsand for your post:
Unread 11-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #9
mundy928
User

Cool

Thanks for all the replies so far! P08Leder and Lugerdoc defintely have a point. The price point has to be low enough to beat out buying an authentic shooter, something very hard to do (maybe impossible) without a total sacrifice of quality. It would be interesting to get numbers from a manufacture. I think you are right that a person would have to get the whole collection of parts together for less than $650 to make it worth it. Its entirely a moot point however if danielsand's concerns cannot be addressed.

Danielsand,
I do not know what the production floor of the companies that made Lugers to a high quality of fit and function looked like. I also do not know how many of the production steps were accomplished by unskilled laborers and could be replaced by a combination of C&C machining, the workshop of a 21st century enthusiast and youtube and which production steps would require a trip to a gunsmith. I have an idea, but I cannot answer to 100% confidence. Many of the 1911kits that are on the market today do require a level of finishing unique to each firearm. I am more than happy to find an answer and if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful. I currently have the surplus of time to find exactly where the idea falls apart.
Unread 11-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #10
danielsand
User

[QUOTE=mundy928; unskilled laborers and could be replaced by a combination of C&C machining, .[/QUOTE]

It's just an opinion,....my opinion,.......but make no mistake about the quality of the steel (almost impossible to replicate today), and the level of skill those people had. "Unskilled laborers" were probably doing bluing, assembly, polishing, etc and certain level of skill was needed even in those areas. The people that actually fitted the individual parts had skills, as machinists and/or gunsmiths. Final finishing was crappy (final machining), and we know why (cutting man hours). This level of external (and to some extent, internal) metal finishing would not "fly" in today's market.

The steps in the production of (e.g.) DMW Parabellum, are documented (if you do the search), and the man hours only, would price the produced weapon WAY out of today's market. In order to "cut costs", one would have to resort to investment casting, and such, and this would not be the level of quality/durability one expects from a vintage pistol that was made "the old school" way.

If one wants to produce "replica" of the vintage weapon,....by all means, it's possible, but to generate enough interest (and market) to be profitable, ...........IMO, not doable.

High production cost is the MAIN reason why German armed forces switched to P38 (which didn't offer any advantages over P08, except lower production cost, and the awful DA is debatable!). Factories that were producing P08 at that time, were "government owned", and/or subsidized by the government. As such, they were able to offer P08 at MUCH lower cost, than the amount of labor that went into them would demand.

Producing P08 of a lower quality, and with no historical connection would be exercise in futility,........but that's just MY opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it!
Unread 11-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #11
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts

I think comparing 1911 to Luger parts is a huge mistake - huge. And not being negative, you asked our opinion and this is mine. There are scores of folks who make exact replicas of 1911A1's - besides Colts making them for so many years.

And numbering of lugers - this was a gov't requirement - see the requirements to DWM and Erfurt - although I believe that hand fitting was required, I know that the numbering was a requirement and not strictly for hand fitting...
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #12
danielsand
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post

And numbering of lugers - this was a gov't requirement - see the requirements to DWM and Erfurt - although I believe that hand fitting was required, I know that the numbering was a requirement and not strictly for hand fitting...
It was required by the government, no doubt. But why?

Because it somewhat simplified the repairs that needed to be done by "field armorers" , and the parts were not "interchangeable" in the sense we refer to it today.

To reproduce the EXACT replica of the P08 today, would cost in excess of 2K per unit (and the steel would still not be the same!). And when one adds a decent profit margin to that........(3-4K to the market!), who would buy it? One can have PRISTINE, historical piece (with all the provenance!) for that kind of dough.

There IS a reason why no manufacturer (and I'm talking about companies that already have the tooling, knowhow, and the manpower) offers it today.

Going from "ground up" into that "business venture" (and here I assume it would be for business/profit?) would simply be cost prohibitive. For fun? Hobby? Bragging rights? Sure,.......ANYTHING is possible if time and or money is of no object.
Unread 11-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #13
4 Scale
User

While I agree with all the cautions from various posters, I have to confess I've thought about this too.

The economic argument is to me the most compelling obstacle. I.e., a new production pistol that looks just like an original Parabellum and functions to the same level would cost significantly more than the $700-$1,300 that can buy a good original shooter nowadays. I am assuming small runs and best available computer assisted manufacturing.

However the equation is changing as computer-assisted small run manufacturing keeps getting better and cheaper. And the original Luger inventory ages. I simply don't see either trend changing.

I would love a new manufactured Artillery, Navy, Model 1900 and similar at a price under $1,000 as shooters. Question is how long until computer-assisted techniques enable a high-quality reproduction at that price. My guess is 5-10 years. As the OP suggests, I think it will likely be collectors banding together to avoid overhead and marketing.

Last edited by 4 Scale; 11-15-2015 at 10:58 AM.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #14
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Odin did make a M1900 look-a-like several years ago @$1500, but look at the results. They gave it a good try with their stainless PO8, but no where near the quality of a used original shooter. Perhaps someday when 3D casting technology has progress to Star Trek quality and shooters are selling for $2,000 each, it may be practiable. TH
The following member says Thank You to Lugerdoc for your post:
Unread 11-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #15
4 Scale
User

Several posts point out how Mauser, Aimco et al tried this unsuccessfully. True, but IMO there is useful learning from those efforts: there is probably at least a small market if quality and price can be successfully addressed.
Unread 11-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #16
Diver6106
User

The price for a Luger can be as low as $360, a mixed 1911 went for that on GB on 6 September. And parts can be accumulated for $400-600 or less. You can't beat this with a newly produced gun, unless... You are producing high end Lugers, like carbines or naval/artillery Lugers with a stock. They seem to be VERY expensive and so a copy, as some gunsmiths will convert yours, would sell for a profit. And while 80% lowers sell for AR-14s, because of SOOOO many parts available, the same is not be true for a P-08.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=504476158
Diver6106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2015, 03:37 AM   #17
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P08Leder View Post
I bought a reblued 1918 Erfurt shooter for $650.
Mechanically excellent and tight. Shoots great.
You would have to beat that price point for a non-collectable shooter P08 IMHO
Why should one buy a Luger made with parts and without any "historical significance" while you can get a "real" good shooter for such a little money?
IMHO
Unread 11-16-2015, 09:33 AM   #18
4 Scale
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger.parabellum View Post
Why should one buy a Luger made with parts and without any "historical significance" while you can get a "real" good shooter for such a little money?
IMHO
Because sub-$900 shooters require significant effort/patience to find, and (in my admittedly limited experience) generally have various issues with respect to bore and appearance.

A new production unit would presumably be cosmetically perfect, and some like that.

For example, my favorite shooter is a M1900 with significant appearance issues. I paid $1,150 for it, and based on my enjoyment of that pistol I would consider buying an excellent M1900 reproduction in the $1,200 to say $1,800 range. I don't think I'm alone, but I also don't think it's a big market. The technology is not there yet to produce an accurate M1900 in my acceptable price range, but the cost trend is encouraging.
Unread 11-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #19
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I've had the M1900 extractors, ejectors & grip safety springs reproduced, since they are the most broken items and do also have most other original parts (except slides & frames) in stock, with little demand and high cost to acquire. I doubt that there is much demand for M1900 shooters, due to the fragile recoil springs and unnessary toggle lock system. There were reasons that DWM redesigned the luger in 1906. TH
Unread 11-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #20
jl7422
User

Aside from the technical issues associated with manufacturing, and the cost-point that a potential run of reproductions would have to sell for, I seriously question whether there would be a viable market for "new" Lugers. There are relatively few gun buyers who even know what a Luger is, much less want one.
jl7422 is offline   Reply With Quote