LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 09-26-2001, 10:21 AM   #1
Duane Rowland

Default Coloring Proofs

How would I go about coloring the proofs on my 1920's commercial? What type of substance would I use, and how would I apply it? With a toothpick or tiny brush?

Thanks for the help!

-Duane.

Unread 09-26-2001, 11:00 AM   #2
Art Buchanan

Default Re: Coloring Proofs

Use a white putty (paint) stick available at paint and hardware stores. They are available in lots of colors and are used to fill nail holes in wood trim. Remove oil from the marks with laquer or acetone or? then just rub the paint stick over the markings. Wipe the area with rag and mineral spirits to remove excess paint from the area. The white will remain in the depressions of markings. Wipe area with oil rag. Also works to white in missing safety marking.

Unread 09-26-2001, 07:59 PM   #3
Dok
RIP

Perhaps an equally effective and less permenant or damaging way is to use a white china marker pencil. Available at most office supply stores.

Unread 09-26-2001, 10:00 PM   #4
Art Buchanan

Paint stick color will clean off with mineral spirits, Laquer thinner, acetone, gasoline whatever, They are the same thing that Shattuck has sold for years---just cost less!

Unread 09-27-2001, 07:29 AM   #5
Marvin
User

Duane,

I use the White China Markers to color in my stamps. I apply a light coat of oil, let the carrier dissepate, and then rub the China Marker into the stamps and then wipe lightly with an oily cloth. On light stamps, you must rub very gently or the color will rub out.

The more permanent types like the Laquer-Stik are nice, but it does take a solvent to remove them as the China Marker will wipe out easily with an oily cloth, and the China Markers are cheap.

Marvin

Unread 09-27-2001, 10:13 AM   #6
TIMOTHY CANNEY

Get A GOOD MAGNIFING GLASSS LOUPE. NO DAMAGE EASY IDENTIFICATION, NO MESS!

TIM

Unread 09-27-2001, 01:40 PM   #7
bill m
User

Hi,

Using any kind of a white marker is great for seeing the markings, but when issued only the safety area was marked. Also, markers are used to hide recent stampings and property markings.

Unread 09-27-2001, 09:15 PM   #8
Dok
RIP

It has been suggested in the past that the stamps should only be "coloured in" for photographing, then removed afterward, so as to return the weapon to it's original state as bill m suggests.

Unread 09-28-2001, 09:52 AM   #9
TIMOTHY CANNEY

I agree!

Tim

Unread 09-28-2001, 11:21 AM   #10
Duane Rowland

So, it would seem that the consensus is that only the "Gesichert" saftey marks were colored from the factory, with the rest being left blue. And the pictures I've seen with gold or white highlighting on the marks were only for the purpose of making them show up in photos. Okay, I can see that. Thanks for your response on this, folks, it's been valuable.

-Duane.