LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 07-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #21
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,040 Posts

Don M. and Sergio,
thanks for your ideas, the pistol is indeed a "slick back".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
Sergio, you are correct about the guns with stock lugs removed probably at the insistence of occupying French forces. However, in the Wiesbaden administrative district, only the city of Wiesbaden (S.W.II.) was occupied and Frankfurt (S.W.I.) was not. I have never seen a Frankfurt Schupo P08 with the stock lug removed.

I'm thinking the frame may be from an early DWM P08 manufactured without a stock lug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pix219688773.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	50514  

DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #22
DonVoigt
User

Thanks Dwight,

Since the numbers were out of order, I was assuming(I know, not a good idea), that the 03 related to the serial number overstamp of a commercial toggle. Now I can see due to the space, that it sort of "turns a corner" to get all 3 digits in place.

The rear number sure looks like it is struck over a scrubbed number, but I could not make out what the earlier number is.
I just had another look, I don't believe now it is over stamped, but one of the number stamps bounced and the part circle seen, is perhaps from a bounce or false strike of the 0. Rear of the toggle is very smooth and even, no signs of filing or metal removal.

The original extractor would not have been numbered on a commercial toggle, I think, so this one look like they made a mistake in numbering during re-work, stamping a "30" then canceling it, and re-stamping an 03. Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Gruber View Post
The breechblock and center toggle are both numbered 031. Granted the configuration is VERY non-standard, but the numbers appear to be original and the only way for them to make sense along with the c/N proof is as the last-three-digit small part numbering of a five-digit serial number gun. The photo of the toggle-tail number is not very clear in this regard, but it appears to to overstamp another number.

--Dwight
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pix482133473.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	50515  

Name:	P1310686.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	50516  

Name:	P1310682.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	50517  

Name:	P1310683.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	50518  

Unread 08-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #23
DonVoigt
User

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Gruber View Post
The breechblock and center toggle are both numbered 031. Granted the configuration is VERY non-standard, but the numbers appear to be original and the only way for them to make sense along with the c/N proof is as the last-three-digit small part numbering of a five-digit serial number gun. The photo of the toggle-tail number is not very clear in this regard, but it appears to to overstamp another number.

--Dwight
Dwight and others,
I was re-reading Sturgess green edition again today and on
page 801, lower left picture is an essentially identical breech bolt marking of 02 and horizontal 1.

Sturgess postulates that " the "1" inspection mark of the Police Inspectorate, applied internally as a component inspection acceptance mark to most small parts".

It would be interesting to know if others have or have seen this same use of the "1"
Unread 08-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #24
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
Dwight and others,
I was re-reading Sturgess green edition again today and on
page 801, lower left picture is an essentially identical breech bolt marking of 02 and horizontal 1.

Sturgess postulates that " the "1" inspection mark of the Police Inspectorate, applied internally as a component inspection acceptance mark to most small parts".

It would be interesting to know if others have or have seen this same use of the "1"
Not that I recall

and Sturgess guess is as good as many others - a guess - his books are very good and detailed, but parts of it are not as detailed as I'd like.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote