LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-02-2015, 03:10 PM   #21
4 Scale
User

Page 232 and 233 of "Lugers at Random" by Kenyon discusses Death's Head Rework.

One of the comments on page 232 is "The death's head is thought by most collectors to be the insignia of the SS wing of the early (1930-33) Nazi party"(fair use excerpt).

On page 43 of the same work, a "Death Head" proof mark appears, stating that the mark is found on "a few early Nazi era reworks (1930-1933 period)", (also a fair use excerpt). The proof marked in the Kenyon book appears to be the same proof that appears on the two pistols on the Simpson website.

This would seem to indicate there is at least a variance of opinion concerning the existence and use of this marking. I do note that a couple of posters including Ed have suggested there is at least a possibility that the markings are authentic.

My opinion of Simpson's has not dropped, given the reference I read. I consider the matter unsettled. Should any of those opining on the matter in this thread wish to quote authoritative support for their views that the markings on the two pistols at Simpsons are bogus, and should be known by Simpson's to be bogus, that would be interesting.

I have also found Simpson's to be careful and to retrieve the pistol from inventory and discuss it in detail when a caller inquires. I therefore second Ed's suggestion that those who feel the proof is bogus discuss their concerns direct with the retailer before publicly castigating them.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 03-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #22
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale View Post
Page 232 and 233 of "Lugers at Random" by Kenyon discusses Death's Head Rework.
Datig, Jones, and Sturgess & Gortz also discuss the Totenkopf Lugers. I am one of the few who believe there are 'real' Totenkopf Lugers, and that they were borne by the Freikorps.

Quote:
I therefore second Ed's suggestion that those who feel the proof is bogus discuss their concerns direct with the retailer before publicly castigating them.
The issue here is not whether they are 'real' or fakes but that there is no way to prove their authenticity or even their origins. IMHO, any seller should make an effort [the 'disclaimer'] to let the buyer know that. To definitively state that it is an 'SS' Luger is misleading.

It's not my job to police the Internet. I'll do my complaining with my wallet.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 7 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 03-02-2015, 04:21 PM   #23
ChadC
User

Thanks for the discussion. I have learned a lot reading replies.
ChadC is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to ChadC for your post:
Unread 03-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #24
4 Scale
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Datig, Jones, and Sturgess & Gortz also discuss the Totenkopf Lugers. I am one of the few who believe there are 'real' Totenkopf Lugers, and that they were borne by the Freikorps.
Thanks, I appreciate the references and will look for the issue in those works as I acquire them, it is a very interesting marking and worthy of study.

Quote:
issue here is not whether they are 'real' or fakes
Several posters have declared without qualification that it is impossible for the markings to be real, so I am puzzled by your comment.
Quote:
...there is no way to prove their authenticity (of the markings)...any seller should make an effort to let the buyer know that...
Applies to any marking I would think. That these markings seem to be exceptionally rare is more the issue. Personally, I don't want to read a site cluttered with disclaimers. IMO it is incumbent on Simpsons to accurately disclose what they have. Until evidence is presented that they have not fulfilled that duty, I must conclude that they have, given their reputation and my own dealings with them.

I don't know enough about the issue to differ with your most recent statement that Simpson's should have included disclaimer language. While more disclosure is generally better, it would seem that many Lugers on their site might potentially have faked markings. Where does one draw the line it what their disclosure should be regarding the possibility of fakery?

Absent other evidence, I will assume that Simpsons carefully examined the markings and found no evidence of fakery. Given the premium pricing of the pistols being discussed IMO it is incumbent on the buyer to conduct whatever investigation they feel they need.
Unread 03-02-2015, 06:21 PM   #25
4 Scale
User

Lest the thread become too serious, here is a Luger that we can all agree on in terms of authenticity.

Do not be deceived by your eyes, which may suggest this is a defaced 1920 commercial.30 Luger firearm. No - this is the very rare "Panzer Luger", offered as as "GI bring-back" on Gunbroker. This thing has actually been for sale for weeks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crapluger.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	46842  

The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 03-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #26
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Lest the thread become too serious...
Are you serious about buying an SS Luger??? If so, there is a guy in Prior Lake MN that has an actual verified SS Luger previously owned by Ralph Shattuck and comes with a Letter Of Authentication signed by Ralph. It's too expensive for me. He & Ralph were close friends and business associates. There was a pic of the Luger and the letter posted here some time back...

Anyway, you can't go wrong with that one.
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 03-02-2015, 08:39 PM   #27
4 Scale
User

No I am not serious about buying an SS Luger or any other rare variation, I'm having too much fun with garden-variety DWM and Mauser military models. I just find the comments of experienced collectors very interesting.

SS/Death's Head Lugers seem like Bigfoot - some say no such thing, others hold varying different views. I have no real opinion on the matter, but enjoy hearing from those who do. However if I suddenly decided to become an SS Luger Collector - assuming the "Panzer Luger" is no longer available - I will hunt down the Luger you mention!!
Unread 03-02-2015, 09:39 PM   #28
steven c
User

The only pistols that I know of that can be verified SS are the Walther PP/PPK and not by runes stamps or death-head.

Also P under SN. And slide numbered with no Suffix
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	46860  

Looking for walther PP mag #981029
steven c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #29
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,528 Times in 787 Posts

Regardless of what Kenyon published, the SS marked Luger is absolutely bogus.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to George Anderson for your post:
Unread 03-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #30
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Quote:
Lest the thread become too serious, here is a Luger that we can all agree on in terms of authenticity.

Do not be deceived by your eyes, which may suggest this is a defaced 1920 commercial.30 Luger firearm. No - this is the very rare "Panzer Luger", offered as as "GI bring-back" on Gunbroker. This thing has actually been for sale for weeks.

I love the precision inletting that was performed on the grips to place the skull & crossbones!

Looks like it was done with a BAYONET!
Attached Images

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 03-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #31
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

There is never any effort spared in ruining a nice collectable!
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 03-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #32
Blight
User

That "Panzer Luger" is comedy gold. People crack me up. I'm a complete novice and it looks fake to me.

The shmuck might as well have sharpied "tOTtally bADDasS PANZER looger -Adolph Hitler" on it.
Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #33
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

"Regardless of what Kenyon published, the SS marked Luger is absolutely bogus."

I agree

The only pistols that I know of that can be verified SS are the Walther PP/PPK and not by runes stamps or death-head.

I agree, a skull doesn't mean that the gun belonged to the SS at all!

the precision inletting that was performed on the grips to place the skull & crossbones!
Looks like it was done with a BAYONET!

I agree as well.

Sergio
Unread 03-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #34
Arizona Slim
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

From what little I know about Simpson's I think they are a reputable company and I believe Brad Simpson may also be a member of this forum. To give him the benefit of the doubt I would like to think that he has not fully examined this Luger and will make the appropriate changes in the discription and price once he becomes aware of it's shortcomings.
Lon
Arizona Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #35
Nomadr
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Now on HOLD! As P. T. Barnum once said...

I think It's sad Simpson wouldn't have a problem selling such an obvious fake!

Bob
Nomadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #36
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

On the off-topic discussion of Simpson's descriptions of controversial Lugers, I came across this thread today while looking for something totally different...It concerns a Spandau Luger being sold [back then] by Simpson's...

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=15331

Again, my dealings with Simpson's has been positive. I bought my 1900AE from Floyd at Simpsons, and made several offers on a C96 Mauser barrel/extension that Simpson's offered as being 'bent'. I would buy from them again.

I was not aware of the rule or law [whatever] that a consigned item retain the consignor's description. Disclaimers or notes about the item from the consignment house are discouraged??? Adding to or editing consignor's description is not allowed??? Legal issues maybe???

Very confusing...