LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 10-21-2005, 03:41 PM   #1
Roadkill
User

Default Tom A, check this out

Interesting part is I would not have known what this is without having done the other project.

http://cgi.ebay.com/German-1871-dres...QQcmdZViewItem

"This auction is for an 1871 brass handled German dress bayonet / short sword. It looks just like the 71 dress bayonet, but was made without the press stud, spring, muzzle ring and slot for attaching to the rifle. So itâ??s really more like a short sword rather than a bayonet. It is in nice shape with no dings or pitting. The handle has medium / dark patina to it. I donâ??t think it was polished any time in the past 100 years or more. The blade is dark, but might clean up. I used oil soaked fine steel wool to remove some surface rust on the blade. The blade has ornate designs (flags, swords, cannons, flowers, a soldier, etc) lightly etched on it. I cannot find any maker marks or regimental markings. There is a red felt washer between the blade and the handle. The overall length is 24 inches. The blade length is 19 1/8 inches. The blade width is 1 inch at the widest part. "

From Project:

"Later, at the beginning of and during WWI and after rearmament with the GW98, the M71 light infantry rifle, M71/84 hunting knife, and the bayonet M71/84 were used a improvised weapons. Later in the war captured French and Russian weapons were also used. Naval units on land used the modern GW98 and accompanying bayonet. An example was the units located in Flanders.
Returning to cold steel weapons, the introduction of the M71 hunting knife in naval rearmament was a reason for the cessation of using the boarding sword. "

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote