LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 05-03-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
Walt NW
User

Default New World War One novel

The first novel in recent years to take place in World War One has recently been published as an E-book, and to those members of the forum who enjoy a good war story, this may be something to take a look at A review of the book can be found on worldwaronebook.com with an excerpt available on the publishers web site and yes, a Luger does play a small but significant role in one chapter. At only $3.95, I found it to be historically factual and entertaining, but since I wrote the thing, I could be prejudiced. As this is an obvious attempt to advertise the book, if it is felt to be inappropriate, kick it out and my apologies all over the place.
Walt NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2005, 07:54 PM   #2
Walt NW
User

Tac,
Go to ebookomatic.com and link into their bookstore. Type in either the name of the book "The Pockmarked Face of Hell" or my last name, Jespersen. The first chapter starts on July 1, 1916, the first day of the Somme battle. To the best of my knowledge, I had no relatives at the Somme, but my great-uncle was a Uhlan killed in 1915. Went on through W.W. II when my mother's side of the family (8th AF) was bombing the Hell out of my Father's side (2 cousins and an uncle in the Luftwaffe). Made for an interesting childhood.
Unread 05-04-2005, 08:39 AM   #3
trigger643
User

I read "Losing Julia" recently. Another WWI novel. My Grandfather's brother was with the AEF in Argonne/Muese/Somme and Verdun before being gassed. As a child I recall him at family reunions with his ever-present hankerchief. His grave stone in Logan Utah states something to the effect: "succumbed to wounds received in France". I should be so lucky. He was about 80

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2005, 03:25 PM   #4
Walt NW
User

My great uncle was killed in Verdun by a sharpshooting Frenchman in 1915. Have his cavalry sabre hanging on the wall with the rest of my weapons collection along with my uncle's Iron Cross from W.W. II. The sabre was one of the few things recovered when the RAF took out the family block in Kiel in their last raid on the city in '45.