LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 04-23-2005, 12:19 PM   #1
thegundude
User

Default Newbie questions about commercial markings.

I've order a book (on back order) on identifying Lugers but I still await it's arrival. I was hoping I might find some help here in the meantime.

I've noticed that military models have the last two digits if the serial number on them to identify a match. Well, that's really only one out of every hundred parts in general population, right? What's to keep some one from find another sideplate (or whatever part) and replacing a broken one and calling it matching? Other than blue condition, of course. That might prove to be sort of limiting, but not insurmountable.

Another thing that confuses me, because commercial models don't have all of the parts numbered, how can you tell if it's "all matching"?

Thanks for any help guys.

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2005, 12:30 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

true

This is the trick isn't it...

Lugers that are military numbered are easier to spot as non-matching, yet many gov'ts only numbered major parts, the 1911A1 is a good example, most parts were not numbered.

Add into the equation that lugers were made for 60+ years, by 4 or 5 manufacturers and you have to look at how each number looks to another number, plus any proofs from other manufacturers.

Not an easy hobby.

ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
Doug G.
User

Well, side plates for WWI and pre Nazi Lugers would be easy to replace. However remember that Mauser started to number the inside of the sideplate with the first two digits of the gun as well. The way to read it is to look at the numbers on the inside. Serial number 5462 should have the number 55 on the inside and 62 on the outside.
Doug G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2005, 08:26 PM   #4
thegundude
User

Ouch. Now my head hurts. I guess this is why I should only buy when I can examine in person or find it somewhere like here. I've been scanning the auctions and I'm learning to steer away from commercial guns. They're usually in better condition overall and tend to be less expensive sometimes, all thing considered, but I'm leary of misrepresentations.

I guess the only real answer is to live and learn. I suppose Iwon't be able to begin collecting Lugers in earnest for at least a few years of hangin' around you guys asking stupid questions. I appreciate the help, as always.

:-)

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote