LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 06-24-2001, 05:20 AM   #1
renaissance
User

Default Of What Use is a C&R FFL

What can you do with a C&R FFL?

Can you have FFL dealers ship guns (pistols)directly to you without using an intermediary (FFLDealer)

How about non-FFL holders shipping to you and you to them?

How do you ship (US Postal / Fed-X / UPS)

Is a Luger classified as a C&R ( I would have assumed so seeing as the "interest" on the Lugerforum)

but

It IS a modern Cartridge Handgun.

Are "some" Lugers old enough to qualify as relics and others not?

Unread 06-24-2001, 05:41 AM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: Of What Use is a C&R FFL

Renaissance,

The C&R License is great for me! I collect Lugers and all German WWII used pistols. The license allows me to order from dealers and individuals from anywhere in the US.

A C&R firearm will be a firearm that was manufactured 50 years from the current date. Any firearm which has been classified as a Curio or Relic by the ATF by means of being unique in some fashion, and finally, any firearm which has been calssified as unique by a Municipal, State, or National Museum that regularly show firearms as part of their display. The ATF does publish a book which lists most of the current weapons that are C&R eligable. Even machine guns are classified as C&R if you live in a State which allows them.

Now to answer your questions.

1. Yes, once you send a copy of your license to a dealer, they can ship the Firearm directly to the address shown on the license.

2. Any individual can ship you his personal firearm for adding to your collection. Just be sure that you have all his required information to fill into the "Bound Book"

3. Most dealers ship by UPS to you. I prefer FedEx, but that is a personal opnion. Sometimes UPS can be a real "bear" for a C&R individual to ship by because the counter people don't know the rules. Dealers never have any problem.

4. All Lugers manufactured since 1945 are C&R eligable. Even some of the 1960s and 1970s Mauser manufactured Lugers are C&R now according to the latest ATF book. If the firearm is over 50 years old, it is a C&R. The ATF has reclassified some of the NFA weapons to C&R status. Again, they are listed in the C&R guide from the ATF.

One thing you MUST be aware of with this license. You CANNOT "DEAL" in firearms. An occasional sale to someone is OK, but you must not buy and then resell. This is a "touchy" part with the ATF. There have been some C&R holders that advertise a few pistols on GunsAmerica for sale and they had a nice visit from the ATF to find out if they were dealing. If you do decide to get a license, read ALL the material sent and understand what it says. Follow the rules exactly as stated and all will be OK. Good Luck on your decision and if I have left any imprtant info out maybe others can catch those or if I have amde any mistakes.

Marvin

Unread 06-24-2001, 09:48 PM   #3
mlm

The stainless lugers new-made are about the only non-C&R lugers. C&R lugers are modern handguns AND are C&R. Post-1898 handguns are "modern" in a federal sense but the C&R status is more important for regulatory purposes among collectors and licensees. Here in Colorado, C&R's are treated quite differently by state law than are modern non-C&R's. These are regulatory definitions. The luger fires a commonly available cartridge but that is only relevant to evaluating reproductions of antiques and antiques have a very specific regulatory definition, too. As far as lugers go, the C&R is highly relevant and useful except in the former US territories of Chicago and New York City.

Shipping is a contentious subject. Regulations of the US Post Office suggest one thing and ATF regulations suggest something different. UPS handles handguns but is generally unsafe, being associated with higher theft rates than USPS in general. FedEx has been criticized for even poorer service than UPS. The legally appropriate shipping method is UPS next day air. FedEx is also legal.

Unread 06-24-2001, 10:28 PM   #4
TomN

I have a C&R here in New York State but its only good for rifles that appear on the ATF C&R list.Any pistols, no matter what kind have to go through a FFL dealar. Check your local laws. I've heard of people here who have had pistols sent directly to them using their their legal C&R licence confiscated by the State police never to be seen again.I'd hate to see some nice Luger melted down because of a local state law.

TomN

Unread 06-25-2001, 08:16 AM   #5
Dok
RIP

Default And *I* thought MA was bad... :( (EOM)