LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 02-05-2005, 01:49 PM   #1
robbo
User

Question removing rust specs

greetings , i require expert advise on hoe to remove some rust spec without harming the blueing and thus destoring the orginal finish , please help , thank-you robbo
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2005, 12:04 AM   #2
G.W. Gill
User

Robbo, we are with you. The answer is in your hand. I do not mean this to be crass. Check out the restoration guys if it needs it. We can fool our friends with touch up stuff. We do not need the dots on our pistol. Tell the person you sell it to.

Last edited by G.W. Gill; 02-06-2005 at 12:23 AM.
G.W. Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2005, 07:27 AM   #3
Luke
User

Robbo -

I can't remember when, but the subject of cleaning small rust spots has been discussed on this Forum in the past. Do a search on the subject using the search tool in the upper right hand corner of this page. Good luck.

Luke
Unread 02-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
Doug G.
User

Robbo, removing light rust specs from the finish is not hard. The first thing you will want to do is to get some light gun oil. Apply a heavy coat and let it sit for a few days. This will penetrate the rust and break it up. Then using 0000 steel wool "GENTLY" rub on the area. It is very important to not apply anything but the lightest pressure. Any more and you will scratch the finish. I use a method that should not be used by beginners. But only on very stubborn spots. I use a dental scaler to scale off heavy deposits. Usually the finish under these spots is already gone. So removing them is only to prevent any further decay. You will be amazed how these unsightly blemishes dissapear off of rust blued guns.
Unread 02-06-2005, 11:53 PM   #5
policeluger
RIP

Get a cleaning pad from a place called "Big45 gun shop", a little oil or solvent and scrub away with all the force you can use, it will clean rust spots and will never touch the blue, used it here in my gun shop for maybe 30 years, on the finest of blue surface and will never harm it.
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote