LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-06-2005, 04:53 PM   #1
southriv
User

Default Proper storage for Lugers

Hard Cases? Pistol rugs?. I read something about breathability concerns and chemical degassing from foam products. In any case, I would assume one would first take steps to avoid dew point transitions, and store in a dry environment. Experiences? recommendations? & should this question be moved to somewhere else?

Thanks, Bob
southriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2005, 10:25 PM   #2
John F.
User

One thing I have learned to avoid like the plague is gun cases with the "sheepskin" type lining. I once had a rifle in one of these that had been left in a vehicle for a few hours in cold (by Southern standards) weather; upon bringing it in the house and removing it from the case, it was covered in water droplets!! I have never had that happen with a case that had either a foam or cloth lining. It may be superstition, but I don't risk it. I never leave any firearm stored for more than a few hours in any case with a foam lining; had a nice double shotgun rust in one when I was young and trusting and left it in the case for several weeks. Never again. I have stored pistols in standard pistol rugs with cloth linings (breathable, NOT vinyl) in a safe with "Goldenrod" electric de-humidifier for many years with no trouble whatsoever, but I do oil them at least every several months, and usually more frequently. Hope this helps.
Unread 01-07-2005, 09:59 PM   #3
trigger643
User

Bob,

My first choice would be a safe, my second an air-tight gun case, such as a pelican, with desicant packets arranged therein so as not to come into contact with the weapon.

The gun should be lightly oiled with a quality oil, such as Break Free CLP, with care taken to avoid oil contacting wood.

My last choice would be any soft case. All of my soft cases (which I use to transport to and from the range when a hard case is not available), are of a high quality, slick, nylon-type lined with plastic zippers.

No matter what the enclosure, for long term storage, all are lightly oiled. After every handling, they are wiped free of prints before returning to storage.

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2005, 11:16 PM   #4
southriv
User

Thanks Guys,

It looks like folks in general don't like gun rugs for long term storage - just for range transporation. I'm for storage in a safe, though even in a secure environment like that I've wrapped my handguns in the soft cotton cloths I used to wipe off excess gun oil. For some special pieces you don't want to chance bumping against each other, what about the the idea of the individual plastic cases (with anti-desicant packages)? They are easy to stack horizontally or vertically.

It's good to hear everyone keep theirs guns oiled - a practice not as many follow as used to.

Bob
southriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2005, 08:39 AM   #5
Navy
RIP

All,

This month's issue of Man at Arms had a short but pithy article on the danger of dust and oil for weapons in storage. The article featured an extended quote from the gentleman who is assigned as the conservator at Springfield Arsenal Museum. His recommendation: microcrystaline wax.

It doesn't attract dust, does not wipe off, does not discolor, and does not harden or gum up over time.

Recommendation: Renaissance wax for wood and metal exterior, Boshield (A microcrystaline wax in aerosol solvent) for internal parts/bore.

Works real good, lasts a long time and don't cost much.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #6
drbuster
User

Would Blue Wonder "Armadillo" fit the bill?
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2005, 09:56 AM   #7
trigger643
User

Tom,

I have read similar articles. I agree waxes are the best way to preserve a firearm for the long term; i.e. decades, wherein the firearms are not handled or used, but I would recommend they be in an atmosphere of open storage, such as a display case or safe. There is an excellent wax (need to do a google search), that is endorsed by the British Museum, that I've cleaned off of a few guns. If I had an old Kentucky rifle hanging over my fire place, it certainly would be so preserved.

Being an eclectic collector and frequent shooter, my arms are submitted to, as my wife says, frequent "fingering". I have shed myself of guns I won't shoot. This currently brings me down to 2 lugers (from about 2 dozen at one point), and of the 40 or 50 or so weapons I currently own (down from a hundred or so this time last year), I shoot all of them at least once a year, and probably "finger" them all at least every 4 or 5 months or so (that reminds me, I should get the 1910 out today). This would be why I store my guns as I do.

I agree waxes used in metal preservation are perfectly designed for weapons that are infrequently handled or shot. Unfortunately for my heirs, this will not be the case. I now only collect 85% to 95% originals so that I can put at least one magazine through them a year without guilt.

I store my frequently shot firearms the same way, but with loads of grease on the mechanical parts (I like tetra or in the case of my shotguns, slick 50). The range ritual is to run a bore snake through them just before firing to remove the oil from the bore, wipe them down with a silicone impregnated cloth and lightly re-grease the mechanical parts prior to firing.

Glen

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote