LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 12-30-2004, 06:48 PM   #1
Cincylance
User

Default WTK: Value of K98k (as a whole or in parts)

I have a chance to buy a K98k and am wondering what to offer for it. It is a non-import, 1937, S/42 (I think.) The receiver, barrel and bolt assembly all match. Including the sights. The floorplate doesn't match, but the little screws do. The stock doesn't match either, but is a nice RB numbered stock with lots of Weimar eagles and a "K" on the underside. The barrel bands are unnumbered, but are milled and proof stamped. Overall condition of the rifle is very nice and original. It has no sight hood cuts and no cleaning rod is included. My guess is that the rifle had the new stock added even befroe the war started since all parts look to be of prewar manufacture.
My debate is two-fold. First, if I proceed to buy this rifle, what should I offer for it? Second, because the rifle is mismatched, but the parts are nice, would I be better off to sell the stock assembly seperate from the action? Isn't the nice "K" marked stock worth more than an average K98k stock?
Any information is appreciated.
Thanks,
Cincylance
Cincylance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2004, 07:41 PM   #2
trigger643
User

Like Lugers, k98k's are valued based on matching #, condition, rarity and originality. A pile of these rifles were imported in the 1950's and 60's (and now thousands of russian captures are coming in with many rare variations amoung these), and without documentation like capture papers, it should be treated as a mismatch. Even if you are able to find a nice s/42 stock of the appropriate vintage, it will probably cost you about what the k date stock would sell for in the same condition. The mismatch could have happened as a result of field repair, armorer repair, arsenal repair in the final year of the war, or it could have been assembled from parts for export. What ever led to it's present condition is irrepairable from a collector's standpoint. Condition will be everything at this point and the price should not exceed $400.00. Double that with capture papers.

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote