LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 12-11-2004, 06:27 AM   #1
Luke
User

Post Luger Loading Tools - Repro or Real?

I frequently see Luger Loading Tools on eBay. Those made in Finland are easy to spot because of their unique shape.

However, the others appear in eBay pictures to be exactly like the reproductions I bought from Sarco a couple of years ago for $6.00/ea.

Is there any way to uniquely identify a genuine WW-I loading tool to distinguish it from the reproductions?

Thanks,
Luke
Unread 12-11-2004, 10:36 AM   #2
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,205 Posts
Hi Luke,

There are some giveaways. The most important one is thickness. A normal loading tool is some 2.5 mm thick and most repro's are thicker (3.0 mm).

Also, the wear/stamping marks are a giveaway:

-Sliding marks across the length of a tool, certainly on top are wrong.
-Normal tools may have a crackling effect.

VoPo tools have a set of horizontal bars on the lip to prevent slipping. These are good quality but post-war (and not 'repro' in my book).

The quality of the ring is another important feature. There must be a thin rim on the ring (just like it hasn't been drilled through fully) that will allow the tool to hook behind the magazine follower button. This is usually not the best of quality in repro ones.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2004, 10:43 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,087 Posts
I literally have seen a difference in quality. I had one of those "cheaper" repro ones and it bent, and I just about slipped off and scratched the grips(but didn't), I tossed it in the trash and now try to buy just original ones.

I have seen thicker ones that look original, and yet collectors have told me they are repros, but if you look in Jan Still's books, some look as thick as "repros".

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2004, 06:47 AM   #4
Luke
User

G. van Vlimmeren -

Thanks for the information. Not sure what you mean by "crackling effect." Could you explain?

Ed -

Thanks for your comment. I bought several of the Sarco repros for $6 and found them to be of good quality. I used them with all my shooters and keep one with my magazine supplies.

All -

I have ONE authentic WW-I loading tool, purchased from Tom Heller about a year ago.

Differences between Sarco Repro and this one authentic example:

1. They are both stamped from sheet metal, but the edges on the Sarco have been smoothed to some degree. The edges on the authentic tool are considerably rougher.

2. The small rim on the lower left side of the hole, created by offset machining with some rotary machine tool is more much more pronounced and more visible on the Sarco than the authentic tool. Both are thin on the very edge, providing excellent operational characteristics.

3. The "screwdriver" point is more rounded on the Sarco version.

4. The "ears" on either side of the hole are more squared on the authentic version.

5. The radius of the top is noticibly smaller on the Sarco, but the bend radius is tighter on the authentic version.

6. Both tools have a machined channel on the backside. On the Sarco the long side of the channel is beveled.

Luke
Unread 12-12-2004, 11:22 AM   #5
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,205 Posts
Hi,

The freckling effect visible on the bottom of the pictured tool is a good example of what I meant. This may even show up as if it were etched into the tool.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2004, 05:44 AM   #6
Luke
User

I am probably beating a dead horse here, but I just noticed that a loading tool sold on eBay for $32.00. Close examination of the two photos shows that this loading tool is EXACTLY like my Sarco reproductions which I bought for $6. The seller even states that this might be a reproduction, but it brought a premium price anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...292752825&rd=1
Unread 12-21-2004, 06:36 PM   #7
pipeman45
User

I just picked up a tool that has caritors of both. It seems too thick to be original and the channel on the back is beveled. But the ears are squared more than either picture, and the screwdriver is also quiet squared. The overall finnish is like new and the over all quality is vere good. Could this be a East German? Could someone post a pic of an East German tool?

Last edited by pipeman45; 12-23-2004 at 02:05 AM.
pipeman45 is offline   Reply With Quote