LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 06-08-2001, 10:09 PM   #1
Thor
User

Default Lugers in Movies

Watched "The Train" in B&W today. I really liked the suspense and the misery that ol Burt Lanchaster (God rest his soul) gave the NAZIs that were trying to steel all this french art to Germany at the end of the war, lots of MP-40 fire and a few K98s and a small caliber pistol was used by a German officer and then BL cut him down with the MP. I liked this one much better than Rogue Male but overall I would rate it 7.5 on a 10 scale. The scene with BL running (and he was a pretty athletic actor) across a bridge and the German shooting at him with an MP-40 was fast but excellent watching those bullets zip and zigging across the steel in the bridge (and one of them hit BL in the leg) was really chilling! Anyway no Lugers in this one, unless it was in the section I fell asleep in) lol. Thor

Unread 06-08-2001, 10:23 PM   #2
Matt
User

Default Re: Lugers in Movies

I haven't heard of that one, Ted, thanks. If it has MP40s, it HAS to be good! I saw part of a movie a week or two ago, I think was called "Decision at Dawn." Not a lot of action in that one but it was filmed in the ruins of post-war Germany. Several MP40s and StG.44s shown. I Recently bought "A Bridge Too Far," "The Longest Day," "The Great Escape" and the "Big Red One" on DVD.

Still waiting for WED. Every time I log onto Amazon or am wandering through a video store, I look for it.

Unread 06-08-2001, 10:59 PM   #3
Matt
User

Amazon has "The Train" and "Von Ryan's Express" on DVD. Lots of MP40 action in VRE too. I plan to buy both of these.

Unread 06-08-2001, 11:05 PM   #4
Thor
User

Matt-Bridge at Remagen is excellent and graphics are great on widescreen DVD. Lots of MP-40 firing! Thor

Unread 06-08-2001, 11:09 PM   #5
Thor
User

I have both of those on VHS, yes pretty good stuff! I rate VRE at least a 8.5-9.0 Excellent movie.....the second half that is, but many are like that, Dirty Dozen, The Devil's Brigade, VRE to name a few But come on.....ol Blue Eyes looks pretty funny in that German Helmet! Thor

Unread 06-08-2001, 11:42 PM   #6
Matt
User

Default I have that one too Thor, excellent! (EOM)

Unread 06-09-2001, 04:42 PM   #7
Rick K
User

Here's a movie that has a Luger in it that you wouldn't expect. "The Great Race" with Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood, Jack Lemmon and Peter Faulk. We were watching it with my 10 year old son. When they were in the fictional country of Pottsdorff, I noticed all the soldiers were wearing what looked like shiny new Luger holsters. And sure enough, when one of the bad guys whips out his pistol, my Dad and I both yelled, "It's a Luger!"

Unread 06-09-2001, 04:46 PM   #8
Thor
User

Default Re: Lugers in Movies-Now dont do that!

Know I will have to rent and watch it!!! Fun stuff! Thor

Unread 06-09-2001, 04:50 PM   #9
Mike T.

It is not as much of a challenge to find a Luger in a war movie, such as "Sergeant York" (although several of them, such as "The Dirty Dozen", cater only to the P-38 enthusiasts). However, what characterizes the true Luger nut is the ability to locate a P-08 in an unexpected film, such as "The Notorious Landlady", "The Maltese Falcon", "The Detective", "Teenagers from Outer Space", and that weird science fiction one with Sean Connery and some strange idol which vomited up guns. Anybody else know of some Luger movies which don't involve guys in coal-skuttle helmets?

This is not to suggest that I have anything against war movies--I don't. I also think "The Train" is a very high quality one, nothwithstanding the scarcity of sidearms.

Unread 06-09-2001, 04:55 PM   #10
BILL
User

The original version of "Of mice and men". (Didn't see the remake).