LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 09-03-2003, 04:00 AM   #1
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Post Ideal stock/holster rig

At Reno I managed to make a couple of good trades and picked up an Ideal holster/stock and a set of grips.

The holster is well-used, the leather bears the imprint of having held a Luger and ridden on someone's hip for a long, long time.

Although it is not a prime specimen, it is completely appropriate to my hard-use 1900 American Eagle--buffed out, re-blued, original grips hand-worn, barrel shot smooth. As a rig they comprise a pistol and holster which have been used actively for much of their life, not kept pristine in a drawer somewhere. All things considered, this may be the most satisfying Luger acquisition I have made.

As can be seen, the holster does not have a belt clip, but I do have a line on one.

What steps should I take for conservation of this holster? The leather is clean, the interior of the holster and the exterior edges which the previous occupant pistol impressed (expressed?) have sueded. The leather is still somewhat flexible, but is beginning to harden as can be seen from the cracks beginning to form.

I don't know how flexible the leather on these holsters was originally (this is the only Ideal holster I have ever examined). What, if anything, would be best to do with this leather?

Also, what is that little steel loop at the top-rear of the holster for?

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2003, 09:20 AM   #2
drbuster
User

Great find Dwight! Was this the holster Ralph had on his table? I guess Connely's Hide Food would be the stuff to use to condition the leather, at least that's what Jerry Burney has been telling me to use for other holster leather. It should fix up this great acquisition of yours. Good luck with it--enjoy. You have a great historical rig. As for the steel loop, maybe Ron Wood could help.
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2003, 11:43 AM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Doc,

Nope, not Ralph's, Doug Coffey walked by and offered it to me. Its probably too beat up for Ralph.

--Dwight
Unread 09-03-2003, 11:49 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts
Now you have a nice ensemble Dwight!

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2003, 12:33 PM   #5
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts
Dwight, Really nice setup.

To answer your question, the best way to preserve this leather is to not flex it any more than possible. Where it is sueded through the shiney outside epidermis, the leather is breaking down and nothing on the Planet will really improve this condition.

Most of us think in terms of applying something to improve leather but there is another side to leather preservation and that is storage and use. It is important not to flex the leather because every time it is bent the leather fibers that are left exposed seperate and break. Connoly's or any other leather treatment is not going to stop this from happening. Sadly leather gets into a condition that cannot be retrieved. It can only be preserved from getting worse.

I would treat the outside with a little Connoly's where it still has the shiney surface but would stay away from the sueded areas. I would not treat the inside at all. Proper storage and gentle handeling is going to be your best friend in this fight. Dark dry storage in a seperate container so it will not be crushed in any way. I gently stuff some plastic grocery bags into my holsters to retain their shape. Good Luck! Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2003, 12:49 PM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts
With respect to care of the holster, I would think that from the appearance of the leather, an application of Connoly's would be in order. I have never used that product (mostly because I haven't been able to find any locally and I haven't shopped the internet yet) but if Jerry recommends it, it has to be OK. Hardening of the leather is helped by treating with a leather care product, but to add extra support and maintain the shape, I made a wooden "shoe tree" to fit inside the holser. That guards against accidental crushing of the holster, and can be removed for demo or display. Probably overkill, but it seemed like a good idea.

That's a really nice looking rig Dwight. Looks like they have been together forever. I do not know for sure what the purpose of that little steel loop is, but I suspect it is for a supplemental lanyard or sholder strap. You will note that there is a small hole on the bottom rear on each side of the holster that seems to have no purpose. Actually there was a small threaded post with a ring (like a small key ring) attached that screwed into this hole on either side (could be switched like the belt clip) that could act as a second attachment point for a strap. Neither of my holsters have this post, and I have only seen them in pictures. The were not strongly attached, plus they rattled, so I think most of them have been removed and subsequently lost.
Unread 09-03-2003, 07:33 PM   #7
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Ron, You certainly are the industrious type...A wood form.Sounds like quite a bit of work. I have thought of this but how do you avoid the lifting strap? Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 09-03-2003, 07:50 PM   #8
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts
The Ideal holster doesn't have a lifting strap. I haven't made a wooden form for any of my other holsters, but they are in better condition than the Ideal holster. I figured it was a prudent move to stabilize the Ideal holster a bit because the leather is rather thin and subject to flexing when you hold it to extend the telescoping parts plus the little bit of tension that is exerted by the belt clip. Like I said, it is probably overkill, but it was fun to do.
Unread 09-03-2003, 09:44 PM   #9
Dwight Gruber
User

So -thats- what those little holes are for.

Thanks, guys, for the good advice.

--Dwight
Unread 09-03-2003, 11:33 PM   #10
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Ron, OK I am the knucklehead here....For the Ideal Holster! I guess I should pay attention more often...Thanks, Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)