LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-28-2001, 09:14 PM   #1
Thor
User

Default Lugers in Movies-der Phoney Baloney

Lots of them (war movies at least)on this weekend for Memorial Weekend! I thought about my dad and his service to our country in the Army Infantry in WWII, in the Coast Guard and National Guard. I watched "Where Eagles Dare" the widescreen version today and enjoy the scenes where General Carnaby (actually a Coporal Cartwright Jones) was following Eastwood, Burton through the Castle with the late Major Von Hapen's Luger. The way it pointed and was quickly aimed back and forth was great! Another Movie I really enjoy was Battle of the Bulge! Great Tank scenes, though the tanks per NOT period correct I believe and NO RECOIL when they fired looked a little phoney baloney to me! Thor

Unread 05-29-2001, 08:26 PM   #2
Matt
User

Default Re: Lugers in Movies-der Phoney Baloney

I read somewhere that the German tanks in "Battle of the Bulge" were Korean War vintage American tanks. Considering the rarity of original German King Tigers, this is not surprising. It's hard to be critical of Hollywood when the originals no longer exist!

"A Bridge Too Far" has many authentic German vehicles, including a Panzer that was borrowed from a museum.

I still wonder when MGM is going to release WED on DVD.

Unread 05-29-2001, 08:38 PM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,627 Times in 999 Posts
Default Movies-der Phoney Baloney, Tiger Tanks!

Kelly's Hero's came about as close to Tiger tanks as any, they modified Russian T-34s for the part! Supposedly these same tanks were used for Saving Pvt. Ryan....looked pretty real to me, both times!! till...later...G.T.

Unread 05-29-2001, 08:47 PM   #4
Steve Lempitski
User

Default Re: Movies-der Phoney Baloney, Tiger Tanks!

Theres a king tiger in the Louve museum in Paris. It came out of a barn in what used to be East Germany, where it was abandoned by the crew at wars end. After the wall came down the farmer, who was a child at the time the war ended, got in contact with the German military. He said the crew drove it in the barn, helped cover it with hay, put on civilian clothes, and left. It had sat in the barn for 50 years, complete with mounted machine gun and 88mm shells still in it!

Unread 05-29-2001, 08:52 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,627 Times in 999 Posts
Default Re: Movies-der Phoney Baloney, Tiger Tanks!

That would be an incredible find! "Rare and elusive, but ever present!!" ....makes you wonder how many other uncovered treasures are still out there!! Till...later...G.T.

Unread 05-29-2001, 09:26 PM   #6
Thor
User

Default Re: Lugers in Movies-DVDs

Started watching "Mosquito Squadron" last night but it got to late. I ordered "Battle of the Bulge" ON DVD, from ebay, widescreen version. Can't wait to see WED. It was on WIDESCREEN VERSION yesterday, I love that movie! MGM is just playing with me not producing it! Thor