LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 07-01-2003, 12:40 PM   #1
mx557
New User

Cool Rookie

This is my first post. I'm ready to buy my first luger and need some help from you luger veterans. I'm going to shoot the heck out of this gun so I'm looking for a very mechanically sound piece. where is my best bet and best price for this. all input would be appreciated.
mx557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2003, 12:48 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,511 Times in 2,083 Posts
Many options, you may want to consider one of the 1970's Mausers, or one of the stainless steel Lugers made by Mitchel, and all the other names, but the same company. Otherwise, buy a shooter from one of the guys ont he forum that has shot it and knows it works.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 10:04 PM   #3
John St
User

I had an AIMCO Luger with a 6" barrel and found it to be very unsatisfactory compared to my present used WWII Luger for accuracy and reliability.
I realize individual experiences cannot compare with mass experiences, but the fact is that I am happier (much) with a used and real Luger than an American copy that failed my expectations.
Anyone else have this sort of experience?

John St
John St is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 10:56 PM   #4
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
IMO (and at the risk of alienating the Swiss Bern aficianados here assembled)--

WWII Mauser Lugers represent the pinnacle of materials science and Luger functionality. After building thousands of pistols they got it down pat. Subjectively (and in subjective comparison with other Lugers) when shooting, they inspire a certain confidence. My own primary shooter is a 1936 S/42, I occasionally shoot a couple of DWMs and the Mauser is the one on the shooting stand which most attracts my hand.

I have minimal experience with modern Lugers. The Interarms Mausers I have examined feel delicate and finicky, and stainless steel Lugers have a ways to go yet as far as fineness of fit and finish are concerned. Many of the posters here report that stainless Lugers often fail to work initially, and that the factory is very good about working with the guns to solve their problems.

I expect that the modern Lugers can be made to work just fine--there are a number of members here who will swear by them. A WWII Mauser, you shouldn't haave to mess with. An aphorism which some people here swear by is collect DWM, shoot Mauser.

Ed's recommendation is on the money about finding one here on the Lugerforum, post a request in the Lugers Wanted forum and see what reply you get. Expect to spend $500-$800. Also plan on buying 3 or 4 aftermarket magazines--MecGars are good--they will be much more reliable than an original.

Good luck and enjoy.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote