LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-29-2003, 02:57 PM   #1
rickseiko
New User

Question Newbie needs help

Howdy all. I recently picked up my first Luger, a shooter. It is a 1939 s-42 with a little problem that I am seeking advice on the best way to fix. I apparently have a damaged breech block. It will not reliably hold the firing spring guide in place, which makes for a Luger that won't go boom. I can stick it back in and for a while it works, but it is really annoying. Should I try to find a replacement piece, or look for someone who can weld and then re-machine the part? Since it has a mismatched side plate, a CAI import stamp on the barrel, and what appear to be new or at least refurbished grips, I don't believe there is any issue of lowering the value by repair here. Any suggestions on the best course of action?
rickseiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 05:24 PM   #2
Roadkill
User

Welcome to the forum, rickseiko, I tend to think its a mismatched/worn spring guide more than the breech block. It would more likely be a replacement part than the bolt. Try replacing it first, they are much less expensive than a bolt, and then there are usually fitting problems with them. Could also be the firing pin spring is weak and doesn't keep enough upward pressure on the spring guide, allowing it to float around.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2003, 05:28 PM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,429 Posts
Rickseiko, I would not recommend welding and machining. This could possibly weaken the piece requiring further heat treatment.Cost and expertise for something like this on a Luger are hard to come by although there are several here on the Forum that know way more about this than I do, Ted Green, of Ted's Luger strawing might jump in or Hugh Grant.

What exactly is the problem? Is there a flange gap or missing piece that will not allow the rod to stay in place? Perhaps it is the rod and not the breech block?

If it is the breech block then replacement seems like a reasonable alternative. They are commonly available and probably not too dear. Hang tight and someone more knowledgable than I will give better advice I am sure. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2003, 01:18 PM   #4
rickseiko
New User

I am pretty sure it is the breech block-I went to a local gun shop and took apart one of their guns for comparison. The bottom of the hole in the tail end has been damaged, either ground or hammered out. It should be round, but isn't -Replacing the spring is a good thought, I'll give that a try first and see if that helps. After some serious reading on this forum, I think I am looking at a Commblock capture, also I lied there is no S, it is just a 42 on top. Thanks for the help-Rick
Unread 06-30-2003, 07:14 PM   #5
Roadkill
User

Here's a few options, not cheap, but options anyway

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temNum=4562004

http://www.marstar.ca/luger1908s.htm

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...ductSKU=464820

rk

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...6&category=135
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2003, 09:02 PM   #6
rickseiko
New User

Thanks a bunch Roadkill! I'll give marstar a shot-I hope they have them in stock. I got the gun pretty cheap-so throwing a few more bucks into it doesn't bother me at all. Figure that and a new barell from numrich and I am not far over 500. Thanks again for all your help.-Rick
Unread 07-01-2003, 08:45 AM   #7
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Rick, I agree with your analysis, that if the hole in the rear of the breech block is not perfectly round, it is damaged and either in need of rewelding (the more costly alternative) or replacement. I have original BBs available in the $75 to $150 range. Also be careful of the GPC 9x150mm(6") barrels. The last few of these that I've seen, had the extractor cut and ramp in the chamber, off set a few degrees from the front sight base. They can be installed and function, if you don't mind your front sight leaning off to one side. TH