LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 12-04-2002, 07:49 PM   #1
Roadkill
User

Post 1911A1

Ain't about Lugers but I know that at least 2/3 of ya'll have a .45. Went to local gun store today, several really, and immediately a 1911A1 caught my attention. Well worn, looked decent, moved closer, it was a Remington. $350. Slowly and carefully walked on a little more, acted like I was studying some TCs, ect, moved to the long guns, when asked if there was something I was interested in, I asked to see the Ruger 9mm in the shelf above the Remington. He unlocked the case, handed me the Ruger, I held it above the Remington and got right over it so I could see it closer. I was completely astonished to see it had an Essex frame. The overall wear was consistent for a 60+ year old gun on both parts, the frame and slide matched exactly in patina, thinness of bluing, color, everything. No holster wear marks. Had not been reblued, grips were right, take down lever mark just right. I thanked the man and wandered on.
Couple of questions. How long has Essex been making frames? Did they ever make any for the military? How can you explain the compelete match?

Thanks.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2002, 11:13 PM   #2
hipwr223
User

its a parts gun. Essex did NOT make any frames for the US govt. If memeory serves me, they were/are out of NJ.

Remember Remington made something like 10 slides for every frame they produced. There are tons of Remington slides out there that ended up on Essexs frames.

John
hipwr223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2002, 11:30 PM   #3

I have an Essex frame with a Day .22 conversion on it. Yes, about 25 or 30 years ago a lot of Essex frames were around. I bought mine from a guy at work who didn't seem to know what to do with it. Anyway, mine is stainless and it has been a fine unit. It was easy to pick up the internal parts to make it functional at a gun show. I even got a set of top end .45 parts that I never tried on it.
Unread 12-04-2002, 11:51 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts
I have an Essex frame that I got from another army SGT probably 20 years ago at Fort Polk, LA, it was a parkerized frame, I built it up on a WW2 Remington Frame, used GI parts I bought at a gun show, sold it to my Dad, he sold it to my baby brother, sold it to my big brother, who I traded a Browning shotgun to get it back. It looks original also, although I know it isn't. Kind of funny, I've thought of selling it, to get seed money for a Police Luger from a friend, that is about the price I thought they were.

Just kind of odd RK that you brought this up today and I was thinking the same thing [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2002, 06:13 AM   #5
Roadkill
User

Thanks, it all fits then. But I was flat out fooled by that one. If the Essex stamp would not have been readily visible I would have bought it. Didn't know about Remington making additional slides either.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2002, 12:26 AM   #6

RK,

The Essex/Remington 1911 is still probably a good shooter--if the seller guarantees proper functioning. Of course it is not a collector, but it still might be an OK shooter at $350. Genuine GI 1911s and 1911A1s in good condition seem to cost a minimum of maybe $600 in my area these days.

I don't know your interest in that gun, but if you were interested because you thought it might be underpriced, you now know why.

Anyway, the good old days when my DCM 1911 .45 cost me $12.50 plus shipping are over. Too bad, my latest purchases (Lugers and Colt SAAs) have cost a little more.