LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 05-08-2004, 12:15 PM   #1
Ron Smith
User

Post Senseless Waste!!

Here in Oregon we've got a wonderful organization called "Cease Fire Oregon". Every year they have public gun turn ins. For every gun that you give them. Functional or not. They in turn give you a $50.00 grocery store certificate. WOW!!
The photo is of a 1903A1 match rifle and Remington Rand 1911A1 match pistol. Armory built, for entry level unit matches.
An elderly widow of a retired Army Master sergeant. Was going to take these to the turn-in, at the urgings of her son, to "get those disgusting thing out of the house."
She would have gotten $100 worth of over priced groceries for them. They in turn would have been cut up and sold for scrap.

I gave her $200.00 for both. I offered her $400.00. She refused on the grounds that her husband would want someone who appreciated them,to have them. I insisted that she take the $200.00. There is a plan in place to compensate her further.(My wife is sinister. I love it!)

This is the kind of sickening crap that we need to stop. What a terrible waste. Do to ignorant, uninformed people.
Just wanted to get the word out. Ron
Download Attachment:
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2004, 12:31 PM   #2
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,676 Times in 550 Posts
That's a good save, Ron and I share your outrage that such fine historical arms as the '03 might end up as scrap metal. The RR 1911A1 is also a nice example of the Armorer's trade.

Chalk it up to public ignorance and the bias of a media who works hard to keep the public that way.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2004, 12:48 PM   #3
Ron Smith
User

Doubs, Both are extremely accurate.And a real pleasure to shoot. I have been offered $1000 for the '03. However, I promised her that I would never sell either.
The turn- in here, takes place in a little town north of Eugene,( Coburg ). The former Chief of Police ,Denny Wright. Was Pro-gun. he would walk up and down the line and appraise guns for people. Trying to encourage them to sell them to a dealer.
He also arranged for a local dealer to cut them up, in return the dealer could keep the parts, for payment.
When Cease Fire Oregon found out. They demanded his resignation. He eventually did,but not just due to their demands. He was an outstanding Police Officer. Now a Sheriff of one of the counties in Eastern Oregon.
Ron

Unread 05-08-2004, 07:18 PM   #4
Scott H.
User

Ron, I am also outraged at the Cease Fire Oregon gun turn in program that we have here. I just cannot believe that anyone would turn nice guns to be destroyed for just a $50.00 voucher. For years I have told people I would like to stand in front of the turn in site with a sign that says "See Me First, I pay CASH for guns". I would be willing to pay at least $100.00 cash to save some nice guns. I have never followed through and tried this as I am afraid of the media circus that I would create, although it could prove interesting. I just can't see destroying perfectly good firearms for no valid reason. Where will the madness end?
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2004, 08:03 PM   #5
Ron Smith
User

Scott, I have been told(hear say) that "Cease Fire Oregon", now uses security patrols to prevent people from doing just that. They use off duty, anti gun, police officers in alot of places. I understand they have a mandate from the state to do this. Because the turn-ins are held on public property.
You should'nt own a gun, but they can have their own army. Go figure.

Ron

Unread 05-09-2004, 06:54 AM   #6
John -Melb
User

Down here it's done by the Government.

There was a write up in the Australian Shooter a few years ago about two old rifles saved in very similar circumstances in Adelaide, South Australia.

The Mauser had formerly been the property of Hercules Viljoen, who commanded a Boer Commando in the Spelonoken during the Boer War.

The Lee Metford carbine had belonged to Lt GR Witton BVC.

The cultural vandals (I can think of more suitable words, but I'm trying to be polite) who where running the buy-back centre would have quite happily crushed these guns, if they had got their hands on them.
John -Melb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2004, 11:05 AM   #7
Ron Smith
User

John, I liken this to book burning. These people have no appreciation for the historical value of anything. Their concept of history is limited to checking their voice mail on their cell phone. Brain dead morons, of the highest order.
Their primary concern is where to buy a Latte' and do these pants make my butt look big? Real deep thinkers!!

Ron

Unread 05-09-2004, 11:57 PM   #8

They are doing something like this in Bradenton FL according to today's news. The news didn't tell what the voucher value was and most of the stuff shown on TV wasn't worth $50. They probably wouldn't have cared if they picked up some collector items. They were also blabbing about the latest Million Mom March (they got 2000 dumb dames to Washington) demanding renewal of the worthless assault rifle law.
Unread 05-10-2004, 08:42 AM   #9
Ron Smith
User

I guess it's always easier to blame someone or something else. Than it is to stay home and educate your kids, and monitor their actions. Of course, if you did that,you could'nt be in your car for no reason , going no place in particular, with a cell phone glued to your head, yaking about nothing of importance. The perfect example is the Kinkle family. I knew them. I graduated from Thurston High. He had just started his teaching career, in '68. Their careers and social lives were just too important to interupt, they were so busy trying to be social elite, they never saw it coming.

Unread 05-10-2004, 10:14 AM   #10
Scott H.
User

Ron, well at least Kip won't be going anywhere soon with his 111.67 year sentence. I was very glad to see the Oregon Supreme Court dismiss the appeal to the sentence "without comment". Had Kip's sentence been overturned there would have been a riot at the courthouse. What a senseless waste of many innocent lives.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2004, 05:14 PM   #11
Ron Smith
User

Amen to that , Scott. the sad part is. It could have been prevented.
Ron

Unread 05-10-2004, 08:09 PM   #12
MarkC
User

Ron,

Great thread!

I know a few guys here in MA that take advantage of the $50.00 by bringing broken and crap "relics" to turn into the collection point. The anti-gun people know nothing about guns and they don't test them for function, if it looks like a gun must be right?

One of the guys I know took a Charter Arms "Bulldog" revolver with the grip strap blown off from a hot load and got $50.00 for the frame. (He removed the grips and put on a set of something similar)

So, take advantage of the stuff on hand that you have at home and get $50.00.

Some of the programs in Brockton, MA were so bad that they stopped them because the guns were used in a crime (amnesty for the criminal since their "hot" guns were ditched without repurcussions or finger print testing for murders or ballistics and as such the guns were destroyed, neat way to get rid of a multi crime gun, eh? ........ and legal.....)

Think about that.

Mark
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2004, 09:03 PM   #13
Ron Smith
User

Mark, How ya doin' Bud? Haven't talked to you in awhile. That little girl got you trained yet?
I see you ended up with another plain jane, run of the mill, 5 for a dollar, P.38. Man, you must use a spy satellite to find those things. You have got to have a "Rare P.38" sensor in your head or something. You'er amazing!
Yeah, some of the guys I know did that. One guy took an Old rusty Ruby with no barrel over and got $50.00 out of it. And there is some speculation that gun burglaries increase just prior to the turn-in. I guess free food, is free food. No matter how you come by it.
Ron

Unread 05-13-2004, 03:44 AM   #14
minigun
User

Ron, you sound like an upstanding guy. Many people would have gave her the $100 dollars and left laughing about it. I think you are a great person to try and compensate her for the guns. It's a terrible shame.
minigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2004, 12:24 PM   #15
Ron Smith
User

I'm not out to take advantage of anyone. I believe in "What goes around,comes around". I've got enough snakes to stomp, without letting any more in.
Although I would like to put a dent in her sons head. A real jerk, treats her like she's an idiot. If he keeps it up, I just might yet.

Ron