LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 12-13-2003, 11:51 PM   #1

Post Long Barrels and Rusty Lugers

Guys and Gals,

I was at the Ft. Myers gun show today and noted a few interesting items. There were few Lugers, maybe 2 or 3 overpriced decent ones and then a couple worth commenting on.

For those interested in long barrels, there was one with a 16.5" barrel and a reproduction stock. The gun was a mix of parts, but the owner said it functioned well. It was 9 mm and he had no idea if the springs were altered; he claimed to have bought it the way it was displayed. It had a pretty skinny barrel that was probably about as light as possible.

The second notable (but sickening) gun was one that had been recovered from underwater (who knows where from). It was a Mauser S/42 that would give Thor nightmares. Too bad cameras aren't allowed in the show. The interesting part is that the seller claimed the gun still functions and the toggle was free. Unbelievably, he still wanted $300 for this junker. I've seen better looking rusted out water pipes.

I managed to get away without buying any new guns, only reloading supplies.
Unread 12-14-2003, 05:54 AM   #2
jamese
User

Hi AL,
I was thinking of going to the show on Sunday, Glad to have read your commments. Saves me a drive over to your side of the state.

Thanks for the report,

Jim
Unread 12-15-2003, 12:00 AM   #3

Jim,

Nice hearing from you. The show was pretty big, but as you may remember I am not a hard core collector, just a shooter. My Thor restored DWM is a greater treasure to me than any overpriced rare collectable. I do like the shows for shopping for my shooting supplies and general firearms information.

I was quite impressed with the latest Berreta (Sp ?) Colt single action replicas and a 10 round capacity .50 caliber upper assembly for the AR-15 for about a grand. This uses a new round that looks like a swolen .45 Colt round with a reduced .223 sized head on the case. I wouldn't mind having one of these in my Christmas stocking, but I doubt my better half would buy me one (if I dared to ask).