LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-04-2001, 08:13 AM   #1
wes

Default aol bans nazi era collectibles

I heard on the news last evening that AOL & other internet concerns are not to continue to allow the sale of Nazi era collectibles. Would this include the Luger?

Wes

Unread 05-04-2001, 11:29 AM   #2
Wombat
User

Default websites

This has been going on for a long time, with various hosts of websites. AOL was suppose to have done the same thing with "firearms" related websites about 3 years ago.

AOL = Time Warner which equals = CNN = Turner Broadcasting = Ted Turner = ownership-rights to the movie Barbarella

it's all a big conspiracy!!

Unread 05-04-2001, 11:58 AM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default (Not so OT) - AOL has been anti-gun for years

They have even go so far as to remove personal web sites that have firearm content.

If you use AOL, Find somebody else to be your ISP.

AOL is NOT our friend!

After more than 7 years on the web, I still can't find what people find so great about AOL. They are an encumbrance rather than an assist to using the web. What features do they offer, that you can't get for free or at least cheaper than AOL elsewhere without supporting an anti-gun faction?

My $0.02 and half cents

-John

Unread 05-04-2001, 12:33 PM   #4
Patrick
User

Default EBAY

The details on EBA Luger items are filtered out here in Germany. So you can�´t get any information when you click on an item. Governments are putting pressure on net providers to use the same system to filter out anything that they don�´t consider PC. The filter system is supposed to automatically find and block anything that is not approved. Normally, I would have expected that any media restrictions would have to be the result of a democratic process but instead, Barabara Streisand most likely just wrote a list and the moguls at Ebay and AOL were too scared to say no. Patrick

Unread 05-04-2001, 01:11 PM   #5
Wombat
User

Default Re: EBAY

Well, as with any 'free market' in the business world, competitors will seize the moment.

Like when eBay stopped allowing "firearms" for auction, tons of other online sites opened up, specializing in them. Gunbroker.com (located here in Atlanta), auctionarms, and some others succeeded. They had a TV interview with the Gunbroker guy here locally, and he's making a fortune!

If AOL (which, controls too much of the media world), ebay, and others ban non PC auctions, others will pop up specializing in it. Which is not too bad of a thing. I wouldn't mind an auction site dedicated to JUST these sorts of items. Less time spent browsing through the other junk.

I am in NO WAY defending AOL, or other corporate mongols of the sort. I do not like them at all, nor condone their activities. I am just trying to shed some light (positive), to a negative situation

Unread 05-04-2001, 03:11 PM   #6
Patrick
User

Default Re: EBAY

Quite so. If Ebay and others self-impose censorship, competitors are bound to jump in. But in Europe, we�´re gradually being prevented from getting information from any internet source that isn�´t approved.Competitors would also be filtered out.Censorship is undemocratic and illegal.A vociferous minority is browbeating the media.This month�´s Luger presentation would almost certainly be subjected to censorship and I�´m frankly astonished that the Forum is still available here - Ebay Luger items aren�´t. Patrick

Unread 05-04-2001, 05:55 PM   #7
JimP
User

Default Re: EBAY & AOL

I have heard that Ebay may also not allow any auctions of hunting trips in the future, as the result of protests by the animal-rights crowd. It's time for me to get a new ISP. Any suggestions? Which ones are on our side? Do any actually cater to gun owners and want our business?

Unread 05-04-2001, 06:29 PM   #8
Wombat
User

Default Banned Items update for auctions!

Yes, CNN (today) confirmed that both eBay, and AOL (who owns the Yahoo network (ie, Yahoo-auctions too)) have banned any auction dealing with the following items:

WW2-German (ie, Nazi related)

KKK items (or any other 'hate' group)

Items related to Criminals, murders, cult, etc...

Items of this genre were allowed up until this point, for Historical reasons. But have since deemed the items banned, with or without historical importance.

Personally, I don't think this will impact "Lugers" as a whole. Maybe two out of the four Jan Still books will be banned though (look at covers). That will probably be the extent of it.

Maybe Gunbroker.com will get a heck of a lot more business out of this deal! Look on the bright side... Wait, I'm in Atlanta... Maybe I should go team up with Gunbroker, and do some business plans.

It's all good...

Unread 05-04-2001, 06:43 PM   #9
Rick K
User

Default Re: Hooray for Capitalism! :D (EOM)

Unread 05-05-2001, 03:24 AM   #10
Patrick
User

Default Re: Hooray for Capitalism! :D

I agree. I�´d be willing to exchange some for Blair and Schroder. The new German handgun laws should be out any day now and ex-terrorist Green and Alternative Foreign Minister Fischer has just been voted the "most popular politician" in Germany. If I have to hand in my Lugers, I�´ll at least be able to repatriate - or look around for an alternative. Any suggestions (apart from Upper Volta and Afghanistan)?

Unread 05-05-2001, 05:55 PM   #11
Hugh
RIP

Default Patrick, TEXAS will welkom U :D (EOM)

Unread 05-05-2001, 09:59 PM   #12
Milt Keller
User

Default Re: Nazi ban but not Japanese ban?

Wes,

It gives one pause for thought, Will they do the same thing for Japanese war collectibles? no? quelle suprise!

Milt Keller

Unread 05-06-2001, 06:18 AM   #13
tom heller

Milt, Unless the Japanese government complains and threatens to ban ebay from Japan, like the Germans did, I doubt that we'll see any more morality from them.

Unread 05-06-2001, 07:03 PM   #14
MK

I thought it was France that has caused all the trouble regarding Nazi items.

Didn't France win a court case against Yahoo over the very same thing a year or so ago?

Japan would never complain about Imperial Japanese items unless it was to demand the return of all Imperial Property.

As far as Japan is concerned the only thing they did wrong in WWII was to lose.

Mike

Unread 05-06-2001, 09:34 PM   #15
Rick K
User

Default Good point! :D (EOM)

Unread 05-07-2001, 03:58 AM   #16
Patrick
User

Default Re: Patrick, TEXAS will welkom U :D

Thanks Hugh - but I�´m a cantankerous old fart and I wouldn�´t like to inflict myself on people I respect. Patrick