LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 07-08-2002, 07:13 PM   #1
Joe1
New User

Talking Need help with Luger I was given as gift.

Hello all, I was given a Luger a few months back by my Aunt, the story is that my Uncle who was in WWII took it off a dead German pilot along with his camera. This Luger has a DWM marking on top and a date of 1915, it has a number of 8223 on the front with the number 23 on all the rest of the parts with the word Gesichert behind the safty switch. It has a marking on one side that looks like proof #15 from your proof page.
It has two clps one with matching # and the other has #5599 with some kind of proof that I can't make out. The holster has a date of 1916 and the name Julius Schloss Berlin. O. 17. Gun is in nice shape with some gold color left on most parts one part(near barrel) seems to have been repaired(the part I speek of looks like something you would turn and remove to take apart the gun.
The holster has the tongue flap missing(the part that has the holes in it to secure main flap.
It also has some writing in side and the tool is missing.
What can someone tell me about this item and my question is how can I sell it, I really don't want or need this gun.

Thanks
Joe
Joe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2002, 07:57 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts
Red face

Hello Joe, others will chime in and give you some help, but let me start. The most important thing in collecting is the condition of the gun. If all matching and that is hard to tell unless you take it completely apart, (many interior parts were numbered also), then all matching makes the price higher. Those with damaged or "mismatched" parts drive the gun into what is usually called shooter category. They are worth $250 - 500 depending on where you live, how the gun is overall etc. Completely matched, I am unsure of the value? [img]frown.gif[/img]

Selling the gun is fairly easy, you can sell it over the internet to a licensed dealer (FFL) or a collector with a C&R (curio and relics) license, many people on the forum have these.

You can sell it locally, although I don't know if NJ has some laws that make that difficult. You can post this on the forum right here under classifieds and people will contact you.

I am interested in the story of the gun, as I am trying to gather information on a booklet of guns brought home by Vets. If you could e-mail me and maybe post pictures here on the forum or to me, that would be cool. If you'd like to contact me, my e-mail is mailto:66mustang@palouse.com66mustang@palouse.com</a>

Anyway, the DWM is the manufacturer, while the date is 1915, the damaged parts sounds like the take down lever, and it depends on what kind of damage it has?

Hopefully that is a bit of a start on helping
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:27 PM   #3
Johnny Peppers
User

Did the camera happen to be a Leica?
Johnny Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2002, 10:47 AM   #4
Joe1
New User

Talking

About the camera,
I really don't remember, all I know is that it had Jubalee on the case(pardon my spelling) I was told that the camera was worth about $40.00 by a camera collector in the area who didn't even want to purchase it. So I sold it on ebay for about $55.00
Joe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2002, 01:33 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Joe1,

Please do post some photos of you Luger and I am sure that you can find a buyer here on the forum. The classified section is at the bottom of the Luger Discussion Forums page.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote