LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 07-03-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
Henry Bucki
User

Post Artillery stock

I was wondering if the artillery holster was left on the stock when fired? I saw one on guns america and it looked like it had never been removed from its stock.
Henry Bucki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2004, 03:52 PM   #2
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts
The design was such that the holster would stay on the stock for use in the field. Removing the stock requires a bit of effort as the buttons must be undone on the shoulder strap and then it's ends passed through the stock and holster straps and then back through the stock.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2004, 12:37 PM   #3
Big Norm
RIP

The difficulty in removing all the leather accouterments from the stock is probably the reason that so few stocks and all the leather attachements can be found. The discoloration of the wood where the leather came in contact with the stocks wood (the straps for the attaching irons cup and the closing strap for the holsters lid) probably is a result from the user giving up on trying to disassemble everything. Real original users probably thought that it was just extra weight to carry around.

But it may have been a ego thing to leave the stock on the holster. Artillery Lugers look very macho with all the extras attached. I have a chamber dated 1914 DWM artillery that, when I display it for a guest that I want to impress, looks just terrific with the holster and all its straps, a stock, a snail drum on it and a loading tool. I am trying to negotiate for a Trommel carrying pouch now. If successful, I will really impress people. Read that ...Brag!... Brag!

But in reality, in the discombobulation of an active fire fight during war, this setup was probably impractical. To a foot solder walking from Germany to France, it was a just a lot of extra weight. He probably would have wanted an extra pair of dry boots and socks.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote