LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 09-25-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
Kyrie
User

Post Persian Arty Luger Serial Number Duplication

Hi Folks!

Just had something really interesting happen. I received an e-mail, with photos of a Luger attached, from a fellow requesting information on said Luger. He was of the opinion it was a Persian Artillery and, after looking at the photos, I concurred.

The interesting part of all this is the close up photo of the left side of his Luger showed what appears to be a serial number that is identical to the serial number of my Persian Artillery. Here is the photo of his Luger, photos of mine are already posted in the Old Ownersâ?? Corner.

Your thoughts and comments are solicited :-)

Warm regards,

Kyrie
Kyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2004, 04:27 PM   #2
Pete Ebbink
User

Kyrie's photo :

Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2004, 04:37 PM   #3
Imperial Arms
Banned

Hello Kyrie,

There are different pistols where the last digit (9) is different; one has a slanted 'tail' and the other is straight. I presume that both pistols are far apart in the serial range because Farsi numbers are read from right to left and the far right digit could result in at least one thousand pistols in spread.

Cheers,
Albert
Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2004, 05:10 PM   #4
policeluger
RIP

The top "9" is in correct Farsi script, the bottom "9" does not appear to be in correct Farsi script. The "9" would always be a somewhat diamond shape with the down leg coming off the right side of the diamond. This comes not from a study of Iranian Lugers, but from my dim past learning Farsi as a child from Mother and Grandmother...
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2004, 05:57 PM   #5
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,197 Posts
Well,

To make things easier, it seems that Mauser used both '9' styles. Walter shows a Farsi-Mauser cutaway which has the straight 9 and also shows a Farsi LP08 which has a slanted 9.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2004, 01:02 PM   #6
PAOLO
User

Hi
What do you think about the lack of the U/Crowns Proof on the receiver of one of the guns?
Unread 09-26-2004, 01:53 PM   #7
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Paolo,

Good call.

According to Costanzo, Persian Lugers from 1935 do not have a crown/U on the left receiver along with the Farsi date, but Persian Lugers from 1937 do.

In "Luger-The Multinational Pistol" Kenyon pictures both a 4" and an Artillery, both with c/U, and a cutaway without.

In "Axis Pistols" Still pictures an LP with the Persian crown proof on the right receiver, and a crown/U Oberndorf proof on the left.

Walter, in "The Luger Book", does not mention a c/U proof. He pictures left-side views of a standard 4" and an LP, both with c/U, and a cutaway which does not have it (a different gun from Kenyon). The 4" pictured in Walters's "The Luger Story" has a c/U proof.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote