LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 09-03-2002, 01:11 PM   #1
Base
User

Post Safety Lever Pin

Hello to All:

New to the forum and just recently a first time Luger owner. Now in pocession of a 4 inch Luger marked 1917. Four digit serial number.

Disassembly to clean revealed the safety lever pin to be broken and I am wondering if this is common. I have ordered replacements from Sarco (new) and from MarStar (orginal) but neither have arrived yet.

Have received a replacement magazine from Mitchel (wood bottom) and am disappointed with it. It will "unlock" when mag release pushed but it will not drop any length. Fails to hold the toggle back as well. Does anyone have experience in how to "tweak" it so that it will hold open the toggle? Wooden base looks "cheesey" when compaired to orginal. Are there better quality replacements out there? Are they 8 round capacity? What is the best source for orginal mags?

Not set up to reload for 9 MM yet - what would be a recomendation for factory loads that are on the mild side?

Any response appreciated. Thank You.

Base
Base is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2002, 02:31 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts
Talking

Hello DJ, welcome to the forum,

Any Luger is nice to have, that is for sure, is yours a DWM or Erfurt or not marked?

I have found that cetain magazines work better in certain Lugers, so I can't say whether the Mitchel one is no good or just has a slight problem with your gun. On one of mine, I put new replacement grips on it and had to adjust them, they were preventing the magazine from locking and or unlocking. The wood kept pushing against the magazine and release. I wouldn't mess with your grips, just pointing out that you never know what the problem is unless you think of all options. I would try another magazine in it, the one that came with it, had no problems?

I have reloading equipment, but 9mm from major manufacturers is fairly inexpensive, Winchester, Remington, and others are good prices os I don't reload for 9mm again. 100 Winchester at Wal-mart for 11 bucks, not bad.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2002, 02:37 PM   #3
Roadkill
User

Afternoon and welcome, I'll try to handle a few items, Luger magazine wells are tighter than most others, they don't "drop" when released,plus the angle is steeper. You have to remove them by hand. There is a toggle hold open, yours is probably worn. Check on the technical data sheet on the resources section and it will provide a part and name. Two recommended magazines are Mecgar and KKK, they are available if you post a request in the "want to buy/items for sale" section. An often recommended ammo is the Winchester 115g from Walmart at $11.00 per 100 rounds. A favorite handload for 9mm is 124g lead roundnose and FMJ at various loads according to specified data in manuals. Mild side loads generally don't work in Lugers unless mainspring is replaced with weaker spring. Happy shooting.

RK
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2002, 01:43 PM   #4
Alain
Banned

If you are looking for nice mags, good safety lever pins and excellent parts and service in general; I suggest you get in touch with Lugerdoc (Tom Heller) who will expertly help you.
I have found treasures and warm service with him
as have many members of this forum.

Rgds,

Alain
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2002, 07:03 PM   #5
merc
User

I have a similiar problem with the hold open.
After playing around with it for awhile I found that the magazine is touching the side of the lever that holds the toggle open.
When you pull back the slide, the bolt presses down the hold open lever and the magazine prevents it from popping back up in front of the bolt to hold it open.
Maybe that is the same problem.
merc
Unread 10-04-2002, 07:57 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I believe that Mitchell Arms is selling Triple K's stainless wood bottomed mag. I had problems with the last batch of these that I received from 3K and returned them. The Mec-Gar mags seem to be the least thick of any of the new repros available, and have the best chance of easy release from your pistol, if all else is in Spec. I sell these new MG mags @$25 each postpaid. Tom H.
Unread 10-06-2002, 06:17 AM   #7
Luke
User

Having bought several of the Mec-Gar magazines, I can strongly recommend them. The Triple-K types appear to be poorly made and don't work as well for me.

The price of $25 from Lugerdoc (Tom Heller) for Mec-Gar is about as good as you will find, and he is a very reliable source for other Luger parts.

Enjoy your Luger.

Luke
Unread 10-14-2002, 09:23 PM   #8
Karl
Lifer - Twice Over
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Base,

Welcome aboard. You have received good advise, although I respectfully disagree with Roadkill that Luger mags don't drop: if a mag doesn't drop then there is something wrong with the mag or the Luger. Regarding mags: good, functional, original WWI era mags are expensive, perhaps $100 - $150 (look on e-bay). For shooting, I recommend Mec Gar nickled mags with an original wood plug added. Tom Heller has the wood plugs at a reasonable price and you will have a new, perfectly functioning magazine that looks original in the gun. Regarding the holdopen: this is among the most common problems with the Luger (and John S. we need to do an FAQ on this). The source of the problem could be the magazine, the ammunition or the holdopen itself, in that order. First, completely disassemble and clean the gun, manually operate the hold open with your finger and make sure it's not sticking. Second, with the grips off, and using a good magazine, check out the magazine and make sure that the loading button isn't rubbing against the frame or the right grip (when installed). Third, try out your ammo, load one round in a magazine at a time. The Walmart Winchester ammo mention by Roadkill works very well with a standard (original) recoil spring. Good luck. KFS
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote