LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 12-17-2003, 09:10 PM   #1
QCMAN007
User

Question New owner

Hi guys, I've recently inherited my father-in-law Luger. From what I've been able to identify from the Tech. section. Its a Military Mauser (byf) serial #4558 (proofs 46) The barrel is stamped with a 41, Is that the production year ? What's the 8.82 below the ser# under the barrel ? On the front of the fram, just below the Ser# is what looks like a small cursive "r" All numbers match -except for the side plate. It has some pitting and has 237 stamped on it's bottom. Is this a replaced piece? Father-in-law was a COP and loved this gun. He carried it as his off duty weapon. Any help with it's history is appreciated.
QCMAN007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2003, 12:34 AM   #2
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

What is (proofs 46)??? Do you mean the reciever above the chamber is stamped 41? If so yes that is the year it was made. The 8.82 is the barrels inside diameter, which is close enough to be rounded to 9mm...
Unread 12-18-2003, 07:33 AM   #3
QCMAN007
User

Sorry, about the incomplete info, from the Tech Info section it's stamped with Proof page #4 ( 46) the three sets of eagles, also the barrel with two eagles. I'll try to post a pic of the script, I didn't see any samples of this one. Am I correct that the side plate is a mis-match ? Thanks
Unread 12-18-2003, 08:29 AM   #4
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Steve, welcome to the Luger Forum. It sounds to me like you have a standard byf 41, with a substituted side (trigger) plate. The script "r" is part of the serial number (4558r). Your pistol was completed about April 1941. The byf is a German Ordnance Code and signifies the manufacturer (Mauser). The 8,82 is the diameter of the bore, across the lands, in millimeters. Most European countries use the comma, instead of the decimal point, so in the US it would be 8.82.

The right side receiver marks are two eagle-over-655 and one eagle-over-swastika. The first two are German Inspection Office (Waffenamt) marks and signify compliance to specifications. The third mark is a firing proof mark, which indicated the pistol was successfully fired with an over-pressure cartridge.

With the mismatched trigger plate, your pistol would be classified as a "shooter", rather than a collectable. So go have some fun with it!!

Hope this helps!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2003, 10:10 AM   #5
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Steve, If the #237 on the lower edge of your side plate is original, it is probably from a M1900, as that was the only model that I recall some side plates and rear toggle links bearing the last 3 digits (vise last 2) of the serial number. If original finish, the side plate should be rust blued vise the darker salt blue on the rest of your 41BYF parts. I do have available an exc #43 late Mauser side plate available for trade. TH
Unread 12-18-2003, 08:27 PM   #6
QCMAN007
User

Thanks for all the helpful answers. Now I want to find out what was going on in the world during April 1941. It just keeps getting deeper and deeper.