LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 09-10-2002, 01:53 AM   #1
cadads/42
User

Post Newbie ? Clawsons it for 1911/a1's...For Lugers???

As a newbie collector I wanted to know if there is a reference book that is accepted as gospel as Clawsons is for 1911/a1's.

Thanx
cadads/42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2002, 10:18 AM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

cadads/42,
As you know Chuck Clawson's book is relatively new, and was the first book to really do an in-depth and accurate study of the 1911/1911A1. Also Clawson has a book on the Government Model, so one book cannot cover everything. While there are variations in the 1911/1911A1 pistol, these variations are minor when compared to the variations found in Lugers. There is no one book on the Lugers, but a good start would be the three books by Jan Still. Charles Kenyon's book "Lugers at Random" is also a good book to own. The old Luger books are nice to have and have a wealth of information in them, but some of the information is now outdated and may be confusing to a new collector. One thing to remember is that you can never have too many reference books, and are probably one of the better investments you can make if you are serious about collecting the Luger.
Johnny Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2002, 10:42 AM   #3
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,617 Times in 526 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by cadads/42:
<strong>As a newbie collector I wanted to know if there is a reference book that is accepted as gospel as Clawsons is for 1911/a1's. Thanx </strong><hr></blockquote>

Johnny's advice is, as usual, excellent. The three books by Jan Still are "Imperial Lugers", "Weimar Lugers" and "Nazi Lugers". Others you may look for include "The World of Lugers" by Costanzo (expensive!), "Luger Variations" by Harry Jones, the relatively new "The Luger Story" by John Walter and one of the oldest but full of information is Fred Datig's "The Luger Pistol".

As Johnny has said, some of the older volumes contain incorrect or outdated information but they also contain much that is still valid. Buy the newer books first and then you'll be able to tell what's not quite correct in the older books. There are also Luger books devoted to specific models such as the Naval models and the Dutch Lugers.

An excellent place to look for Luger books is the used book market. www.abebooks.com is a good search engine for used books.

Good books are almost as nice as having the guns. Almost!
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2002, 01:40 PM   #4
Luke
User

Cadads,

Having been through a pretty intense learning program in the past 2 years (I now own 14 Luger books and 3 Luger ebooks) I feel that Johnny's suggestions are the best place to start.

My first purchase was a set of Jan Still's excellent references, followed by Kenyon's "Lugers at Random." Once you get through those you will be much more confident in buying future books.

Good luck,
Luke
Unread 09-10-2002, 09:04 PM   #5
cadads/42
User

Thank you gentlemen. I'll start looking.
cadads/42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2002, 07:34 PM   #6
Mark A
User

Here's a site that has all of Still's books as well as others; http://users.skynet.be/HL-Editions/amazon/lubooks.HTM