LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 05-04-2004, 10:09 AM   #1
Simon Samuels
User

Post 1918 Luger Questions

I have determined that it is a DWM acording to the stampings on the gun. The serial numbers seem to match on the whole gun except the mag. 4 inch barrel, 85 to 90 percent finish intact.

It appears to be german military issue according to the stamps.Wooden hand grips. My question to the forum is how many of this type were made in 1918. Can some one give me a ball park figure on its value. How many of these guns of this year still exist?
Simon Samuels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2004, 10:18 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Welcome to the Lugerforum Simon.

I moved your post here to the appropriate forum for military Lugers... you had attempted to post it in the New Members Forum, but it was mistakingly added to an existing message thread.

In moving your posting I checked the block so that you should receive an email anytime someone responds to your questions.

The lack of a matching magazine is very common. If the rest of the gun is matching numbers and the finish is as you describe, and it has not been refinished during it's lifetime, then the gun is worth at least $500 and could be worth several hundreds more depending on actual condition and any other marks... and if you have any other accessories like magazines and holsters, takedown tools and such.

As to the number of Lugers produced by DWM during 1918, I will have to let someone else answer because I don't have my references with me...

Once again... welcome.

-John Sabato
Lugerforum Admin

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2004, 02:28 AM   #3
Simon Samuels
User

thx for your input john. I hope to put pics of the luger up soon.
Unread 05-05-2004, 04:36 AM   #4
Simon Samuels
User

http://forums.lugerforum.com/ifupload/image011.jpg
Unread 05-05-2004, 04:39 AM   #5
Simon Samuels
User

hey john i uploaded about 10 pics of my luger. When i try to open the image up here it says can't find site. Any help would be appreciated
Unread 05-05-2004, 09:48 AM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

What were the filenames of the images you uploaded? The filenames must be exact. I will try to retrieve them.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 05-07-2004, 02:07 AM   #7
Simon Samuels
User

http://forums.lugerforum.com/ifupload/image011.jpg
image000
image004
image006
image005
image007
image008
image009
image010
image002
thx for any help in finding my pics
Unread 05-07-2004, 10:42 AM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Simon & Ed,

I found the problem.

The URL had a typographical error on the directory name. The original link was
/ifupload/ instead of /lfupload/

Here are the photos:

Unread 05-07-2004, 10:44 AM   #9
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Here are the rest:

Unread 05-08-2004, 04:12 AM   #10
Simon Samuels
User

thank you john and ed for finding the photos and helping me post them. It is much appreciated my friend
Unread 05-08-2004, 08:33 PM   #11
RockinWR
User

Simon,
* Nice looking example. Thanks for the pictures and sharing!!
* So back to your original request, I quote Jan C. Still, Imperial Lugers, Pg. 25 & 93:
- "DWM P.08's dated 1918 are reported in the 121-6248s S/N range. These P.08's are not reported in the suffix blocks f, h, l, o, p, and q. The 1918 P.08 production was about 118,000." This is as of the 1991 publishing date of this fine Reference.
- "During 1917, the Long P.08 (Artillery Model) and the P.08 (standard 4"-my words) both have S/N's reported in the same sequence blocks. Production constraints clearly indicate both the 1917 DWM Long P.08 and P.08 were interspersed in the same serial number range during 1917. This practice probably continued during 1918. The 1918 LP.08 S/N range is given as 105-997e for an estimated production of 25,000."
- "Production terminated at the war's end, Nov., 1918."
* The number of surviving, as issued WW1, 1918 DWM P.08's is unknown. Many were destroyed during/after WW1, many were refurbished during the Weimar period, examples are still surfacing causing revision to the S/N block's omitted, and LP.08 to P.08 production/loss ratio's are still only best estimates.
* The value of your Luger S/N 3586g is difficult to positively assess from only the digital pictures supplied:
- For instance, I can't detect a halo around the barrel S/N's. Further, the last 2 R/H side receiver pictures elicit differing personal reactions as to the originality of the blue based on the picture's lighting/contrast/enhancement/exposure. Example: The last pic displays a mottled blue finish. This may be indicative of an "old re-blue" wash or it could portray the degree of rust blue effectiveness based on metallugy and patina age of this example. A hands on exam is the only way to tell.
- Anyway, as a guide, the latest (25th Ed.) Blue Book of Gun Values allows an all matching, original finish estimate of 80%=$625, 90%=$775, & 95%=$900, The latest (2nd Ed.)Standard Catalog of Military Firearms estimates G(80-92%)=$650 and VG(92-98%)=$800 for these 1918 DWM's. These guides are predicated on 1 year old show/collector SALES input and traditionally lag the Asking and the Sale price of today's market. The value can also be affected by bore condition, metal pitting, straw condition, grip condition, and magazine considerations(matching, period correct, functionality, etc.).
- Certainly the Internet Auction Selling prices are an indicator if anything can be verifiably discerned from the description & pictures.
- A visit to www.simpsonltd.com to review current Asking price listings can be revealing. Ex.: Item #D88 was listed as a 1918 DWM in 90% blue, 50% straw, fair bore, VG grips @ $795 in Simpson's 3/04-4/04 catalog.
- The final Sale price is also dependent on the region of the country, risk/cost of sale venue, & how badly the Buyer needs a particular example weighed against the pressing interest in the Seller of converting the item to CASH.
* A WAG (not an offer), predicated on grip strap blue being consistent with the pictured bluing, all matching original gun parts & a bunch of other variables, would be $800-$850 in my humble opinion.
* OBTW - I own P.08, 9mmP, 1918 DWM, S/N 5379g.
Respectfully,
Bob
RockinWR is offline   Reply With Quote