LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-10-2001, 09:35 AM   #1
dieter.kastel

Default side-plate

I mailed to many shops in USA and germany, nobody is able to sell me a side-plate for my K-dated Mauser-Luger (no. 5057 s). I heard that there should be different numbers than on other lugers. May it be, that there is also the gotic "S" on it? Is anybody able to send me a) a photo of an original side-plate and b) a photo of the complete gun?

If I can't get an original, is there anybody, who can stamp a new plate like the original?

Many thanks.

Dieter from germany

Unread 04-10-2001, 10:47 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Hey Ted, you've got Bob Tracey's K-date in house

Can you help Dieter out with a sharp closeup of the sideplate? and the finished product. The photos you posted so far are nice, but the focus isn't sharp enough to see the stamps when enlarged...

Maybe if you tried Patrick's scanning trick?

-John

Unread 04-10-2001, 10:53 AM   #3
Ted
User

Default Re: Hey Ted, you've got Bob Tracey's K-date in house

Probably not, Still's book is probably the best. You have to know what Variation you have! REally busy today at work and home! Bob's is kind of a transitional 3-4th variation.

Unread 04-10-2001, 11:34 AM   #4
Ted
User

Default Re: K Date side-plate

Some have the Scriptic S and some have the Gothic S and I believe (i could be wrong) some have neither. You really need to check the serial range for the correct one. And if you do get the plate recut to "make it look right" you really consider putting some kind of rework mark on the weapoon so somebody later doesnt get taken for high dollar when you have passed on and this gun evidentally gets on the "for sale" market. I mark all my reworks to ATTEMPT to prevent this from happening! Collectors HATE forgeries. We all like to think these guns are just for us, but we will pass on and after we die we dont know who will end up with the gun and we must try (in my opinion) and let the furture purchaser know they are not original.

Just my opinion! See sideplate picture with a Scriptic S.

I think we all would like to believe that these guns will stay in our families, but when are dead and gone, we really don't know what will happen to them. Remember, if you need money in a bad way, a Luger is a great thing to get some quick cash for and when it gets sold, who is to say if the seller has "amnesia" "Gee,......I think it is all original!" No what I mean? Ted

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Dscn1714.jpg
Unread 04-10-2001, 11:55 AM   #5
Ted
User

Default Re: K Date/My Rework Mark

This whole restamping/recutting issue has been talked about much and it always opens up the "can of worms" of protecting the innocent vs making the owner happy with his reworked Luger. This little mark was my own solution to this problem, it is sort of my signature to tell people I worked on the gun. I put it on the underside of the stock lug (what do I do if there is no stock Lug?) probably put it on the frame inside the grips somewhere, I know you cannot see it unless you take the grips off. Ted

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/tedtriad2.jpg
Unread 04-10-2001, 12:16 PM   #6
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Re: side-plate

Dieter, it appears that the toggle could give you a clue regarding the side plate marking. I am using Jan Still's Book as a reference. If the toggle shows a script S, then the side plate will probably have a script S on it, as well as the last two digits of the serial number. If it has a plain S, then the side plate could have a plain S or no S at all. That will depend on the subvariation you have.

Unread 04-11-2001, 04:05 AM   #7
dieter.kastel

Default Re: side-plate

Great! My gun has the gotic "S". So I need a plate like the "S 93" with a gotic S. I don't want to make my gun to a 100%-original (with a wrong plate) and sell it. It is the absolutely best, to mark the new plate as example with three points or so. An expert will so always recognice the false plate, and that's o.k. so. Many thank's for your great help.

Dieter

Unread 04-11-2001, 04:08 AM   #8
dieter.kastel

Default Re: K Date side-plate

Hello Ted,

thanks for your picture. Is your plate a rework or an original? Dieter