LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 04-14-2003, 11:52 PM   #1
Jack Lawman
User

Post 1939 Luger code 42

Here are pics of my first luger. I think it's a keeper. As far as I can tell, the extractor and ejector are replacements (they are unnumbered). I am suspicious about the grips also because they are not marked and the checkering seems too sharp for a pistol with the amount of wear on the front of the barrel and sideplate. I believe the rest of it is legit. Any opinions? Any insights as to origin and who was issued these pistols would also be appreciated.

Jack

Unread 04-16-2003, 10:27 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Jack, this is strictly my opinion based on your photographs.

The pistol was manufactured by Mauser in 1939... the 42 is one of their manufacturing codes.

The pistol appears to be in very nice condition. The extractor "should" be marked with the "39" but that doesn't mean that it isn't original to the pistol. Maybe it just missed the numbering step during assembly. I do not know if the ejector is a numbered part or not... Since this is a really hardened spring type part, it may not be possible to stamp a number into the ejector... someone else will have to comment about that.

I agree that the grips look almost too good to be true and would guess that they might be aftermarket reproductions...

All in all, congrats on a nice Luger. If anyone can comment with some authority about the authenticity of your pistol it would be Frank Manders (Frank) or Bill Munis(Mauserlugers)

How about it guys?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2003, 08:27 PM   #3
Jack Lawman
User

Thanks for your opinion John. I will have this pistol for a long time to come, so it is not important that I have a 100% accurate appraisal of this luger. Here is a pic of the lower front of the grips. It seems like the "points" of the grip would be a little more worn down. Also, (as I mentioned) the checkering seems very sharp, almost brand new.

Jack
Unread 04-17-2003, 09:12 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Jack, The grips shown with the hole drilled on the inside, are definately Italian repro, similar to what CDNN is still selling for around $19. If your extrator is a DWM commerical replacement, it will be numbered with 2 digits on the inside. Your firing pin appears to have an Imperial (Erfurt) crown over a letter acceptance. Tom H.
Unread 04-17-2003, 09:59 AM   #5
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hello Jack, the extractor should be numbered, the ejector should not. I agree with Lugerdoc on the grips. I don't see any Erfurt Marks on the firing pin, Tom. At least in the view marked "FP". I cleaned the photo up a bit and all I see is the "39".

If I had to guess, the extractor is either an armorer's replacement or a commercial. It left the factory with a numbered extractor!

Hope this helps
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2003, 10:11 AM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
If you really want those repro grips to look good, send them to Hugh Clark to get them shaped and recheckered! You won't be disappointed.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2003, 11:11 PM   #7
Jack Lawman
User

Thank you all for your input. When I first picked it up, I was just a happy guy with a new luger. Thanks to you, I'm an educated happy guy with a new luger.

Jack