LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-04-2001, 09:07 PM   #1
capkid
User

Default My dream II

As I posted before, I am looking for a shooter luger to carry. After posting a classified, someone offered me a luger.

It is:

bfy 41 recent import

dip blued

says pepper pit on bore/strong rifling

matching #'s

importers stamp on lt side plate

someone took dremel tool to ser. #'s/replaced

repo wood grips

He as offered it to me for $370(+my ffl $30).

I really want to join the "group". I have asked other boards f/ advise(I didn't want the seller to be insulted?-now ask here),but have recieved !!??*&^^%$#@

{If you want a laugh, go to ruger forum/gen/"my last post"}. These people don't get it!!!

I ask for any advise that you might have. My father has an artil. luger;big to carry. Have always admired, now ready to join up.

I have seen pictures of this luger/seller sounds honest-don't want to be taken because I'm new!

Unread 04-04-2001, 09:17 PM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default Re: My dream II

$370 sounds like a good deal, and at that price if there are any little minor problems you can afford to get them fixed. I wouldn't be too concerned about the matching numbers or the dremel surgery, it's going to be a shooter after all, if the pictures you saw look decent then it's probably OK. I would ask Ted or one of the other (more experienced) guys about the bore pitting, but if the rifling is strong, that may not matter a whole lot...

HTH

Dok

Unread 04-04-2001, 09:25 PM   #3
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Be Careful

If the main serial number on the frame front, just below the barrel is in tact then I wouldn't worry about the individual pieces. If the main serial number is obliterated, then be careful. That is illegal and further the pistol may have been involved in a crime. The price is right for a mismatched shooter. Good Luck !!!

Unread 04-04-2001, 09:33 PM   #4
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Capkid, have you tried

Have you talked to suppliers like Tom Heller or Ralph Shattuck? I know Ralph is sometimes tough to contact, but Tom is really pretty fast on his response times. These folks might keep an eye out for a reasonably good shooter for you for not much more that the $370. As an example, I just bought a shooter from Ralph for not much more than your $370. Ted is refinishing one that I bought for about $500 in great shape. It had one mismatched part. I think if you are patient you'll find a nice one !!! Again Good Luck.

Unread 04-04-2001, 09:55 PM   #5
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default My $0.02...

If you are looking for a Luger to carry - and to shoot - then "function" should follow "form". In other words, look for one that functions correctly, is mechanically sound and is represented as a reliable shooter. These may be 10' Lugers ("LOOK AT THAT BEAUTIFUL LUGER" from 10', while any distance closer may show it's mis-matched parts, pits, cracked grips and/or other flaws:-)

For $370 - ask the seller how it shoots and functions rather then be concerned about cosmetic flaws. For example, one of my WWI pieces look like it served all its years in the trenches - and it has a mis-matched extractor, improper mag and other imperfections. But know what??? It shoots circles around many "modern" handguns. And my WWI Luger shoots - well, it shoots just like one of my "true collector" Lugers I don't shoot.

As for the bore - if it is slightly pitted, I wouldn't worry, as this is not pistol for bullseye shooting - as long as the lands are fairly sharp. Again, I'd look for a Luger that is mechanically sound, first. And for $370 - ask the seller about *how* it shoots - accuracy, what the Luger likes for ammo, jam rates, etc...

BTW: Even without owning a Luger - you are as much a member and part of this Forum as any of us - by sheer virtue of your enthusiam.

Welcome to this site..!!!

Unread 04-04-2001, 10:12 PM   #6
Dok
RIP

Default An old song...

this has been sung before, many times and many ways, but it probably needs singing again. The Luger is a wonderful weapon (dare I say - our favourite around here), but you didn't didn't say your purpose for carrying it. If this is a recreational carry or a "save my ass" carry.

We all have had our experiences with the Luger's legendary penchant for jamming, and it's probably safe to say, that you should be aware that if you are planning to CCW, and the Luger is your first line of defense, you should also be wearing your Commander Cody Cloak of Invisibility. Good luck with your purchase, you will love it as much as we all love ours.

Dok

Unread 04-05-2001, 09:21 AM   #7
capkid
User

The question as if it was used in a crime?????

The seller,I got from this board(c&r lic.).

Asked about function;he said shot two mags through,no problem.

I'm so green, I don't know what to ask.

What else should I ask the seller?

Granted, this isn't much for a luger;but, it's sure a glock/ruger/s&w. I don't what to buy problems!

One way or another,I'll be "joining"!

capkid

Unread 04-05-2001, 09:39 AM   #8
Dok
RIP

Short of a demo, there's not much more you can do, and as Ted would tell you, there's nuthin' minor that can't be fixed, and at this price you can afford to fix it.

I paid $375 for my Luger, and made the decision to invest about the same in refurbishing it. While I don't necessarily recommend that (that was MY choice), the result is a "Jewel" of Luger.

I'm sure you will be happy, and at worst, it will be a learning experience that you didn't pay a lot to learn. (Hey - we all have to start somewhere, yanno?)

Good Luck - and keep us posted!

Unread 04-05-2001, 09:47 AM   #9
Milt Keller
User

capkid:

I know nothing of your situation, or even why you want to carry around a heavy pistol like the luger. I think if you upped your price a bit, you'd have much more of a selection from which to choose! What's $50-$75 over a number of years? It's a pizza and a few beers three times a month. Don't settle for some buffed up exhumed "prize" from someone eager to unload a "dog". Put a few bucks with your offer and get something you can be proud to carry! Lugers are not "cheap" guns, they are now relics of military history, and......that's why they cost what they do.

That's one man's opinion!

Milt Keller

Unread 04-05-2001, 06:46 PM   #10
BILL
User

The only way I can think of to carry a Luger would be in a Luger holster. Not very concealed when you think of it. If one is just carrying around the campsite, while hunting or at the range then a holster would be fine. With the exception of the 'Baby' I can't imagine carrying a Luger on my body. There are too many more reliable, lighter weight, more powerful, higher capacity pistols that would be better suited for the task. The modern day 'utility' function of a Luger is almost nonexistant. (I am not saying I wouldn't beat someone silly with one if it was the only thing around, but it would not be my choice of self defense pistol).

Unread 04-05-2001, 10:58 PM   #11
capkid
User

To carry a luger:you use a string.

I have already tried a ruger 22 (close as I could get). It really balances nice(try it).

What to buy? I'm really lost here. I don't really want to "ding" up a good luger. Like I say(sorry!), I don't know sh@# about lugers. Let me ask..........

What luger would you buy?

capkid

Unread 04-06-2001, 09:31 AM   #12
Dok
RIP

If you are looking for a "shooter", I think you can't go too far wrong with the one you've located. Later you can decide if you want a better grade Luger (that maybe you won't shoot).

Unread 04-06-2001, 04:26 PM   #13
Roger Seymour

Well said Bill. The Luger is many great things. A part of history, a work of art, an example of true craftmanship. But a CCW it is not; especially in the 21th century. Who wants to bet their life on a 60 to 90 year old pistol whose background you don't really know? There are many fine modern pistols better suited to the CCW task. The point Bill raises about holsters is a good one. I don't think there is a concealable hip holster made for the Luger, let alone an IWB. Capkid, if you want to carry a piece of history, I suggest a Walter PPK/S in .380. My own choice is a Sig 232.

Unread 04-06-2001, 11:03 PM   #14
Rick K
User

Default The best Luger...

is the first one you ever buy!

Unread 04-07-2001, 10:59 AM   #15
Milt Keller
User

Default Re: The best Luger...

Much the same as you first love...very much the same feelings and memories! Milt

Unread 04-07-2001, 02:42 PM   #16
Dok
RIP

Default AMEN to that! :) (EOM)