LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 08-24-2002, 01:47 AM   #1
Thor
User

Thumbs down 1918 Erfurt bad bore

Got one in today to restore for a shooter. Owner paid $650 for this Luger and it was just covered in minor pitting everywhere. The bore was the most dismal aspect of this Luger, it was really worn, there were places I could hardly see any rifling depth. I am going to go fire this Luger tomorrow morning before I start work on it. Going rates for these shooters are higher than they were a year ago as most of the imports have dried up. I would rate this gun worth only $450-$500, it is a shame he paid so much for it. I have seen bad bores shoot really good, but I have my doubts on this one. I think he is leaning to rebarrel or reline if it doesnt shoot well. More on this tomorrow after the range test!
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2002, 02:39 AM   #2
LP08
User

I would be very interested to hear of peoples'experiences with Mark Kubes' relined 9mm luger barrels. How is the appearance and strength?

Dave
LP08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2002, 12:40 PM   #3
Thor
User

Range report on the bad bore Erfurt! Just got back from firing it! MAN.....these Lugers surprise me, I would have sworn that bore was worn out! This gun shot a 2.25" Group at 25 yds and to point of aim. I even hit the nickle sized bullseye once. SHOOT YOUR LUGER BEFORE YOU SEND IT OUT TO RELINE OR REBORE IT! It just might surprise you!
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2002, 01:24 PM   #4
Luke
User

Good work, Ted.
Thanks for the info.
Luke
Unread 08-25-2002, 01:47 AM   #5
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,618 Times in 527 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Thor:
<strong>Range report on the bad bore Erfurt! Just got back from firing it! MAN.....these Lugers surprise me, I would have sworn that bore was worn out! This gun shot a 2.25" Group at 25 yds and to point of aim. I even hit the nickle sized bullseye once. SHOOT YOUR LUGER BEFORE YOU SEND IT OUT TO RELINE OR REBORE IT! It just might surprise you!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Excellent advice, Thor. I once had a 1917 DWM Artillery that looked awful on the outside and the bore was pitted pretty badly. Not only did it shoot very well but it was even good with cast bullets! I still have a 1927 Argentine .45 with a sewer pipe bore that is amazingly accurate with cast bullets and jacketed bullets too. I agree with Thor.... shoot it first.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2002, 05:30 PM   #6
Heydrich
Banned

[quote]I still have a 1927 Argentine .45 with a sewer pipe bore that is amazingly accurate<hr></blockquote>

Doubs, yeah, over in the K98 forum there is a guy who constantly raves about his Czech VZ-24 Mauser that has a sewer pipe for a bore, and shoots like a champ. He says it’s one of his most accurate rifles with iron sights. Cheers. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
Heydrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2002, 10:44 PM   #7
Stevie
User

Some guns are born to shoot. Bore condition be damned. Rifle, pistol, or shotgun; if it shoots , keep it.
Stevie
Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2002, 11:00 PM   #8
Herb
User

Stevie, I agree. When I was in Vietnam working with the Vietnamese Regional Forces (RF) and the Popular Forces (PF) units, they had old US surplus .30 cal Browning MG's with the barrels shot out. On the range they would certainly hit the silouettes but the bullet impact was usually lengthwise, ie; in a vertical position rather than a clean horizontal hole. I sure wouldn't want to get hit with a bullit going sideways!! That has got to hurt.