LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 10-18-2002, 01:08 PM   #1
Kernel 36
User

Post My First Luger

A couple of weeks ago I bought my first Luger.Its dated 1916,and was made by DWM. All the right proofs are there for military issue,and all numbers match (barrel has no number). The usual parts that should be "strawed" are not,and the underside of the barrel is stamped with a kk in a circle (very small). In addition,opposite the saftey,there are two more stamps,one is a number 3 with a line under it,and the other looks like a zero inside a box. Another collector thinks this piece was reblued,but not sure if it was during a refurb job during WWII,or the VOPO.There is no evidence of a VOPO stamp,or import stamp anywhere on the pistol. I have had some P-38s in the past that were reworked by the former DDR,and the finish,while showing holster wear,appears older. Is it possible that this was a refurbished pistol from WWII? I have seen reblue jobs many times,and this just does not look like "bubba" did this. The grips appear original,and had little wear,and when I applied some boiled linseed oil,they soaked it right up. Whats the story here?
Kernel 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2002, 01:15 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Photos Kernel 36,

We need to see photos of the Luger in question.

Welcome to the Lugerforum.

The type of evaluation you are asking for requires pictures so we can make a serious evaluation of your Luger. If you need help in posting photographs, there is an excellent tutorial in the Site Help and Feedback Forum.

From the info you provided, you stated that the parts that are normally strawed, are not. You didn't specify if they are in the white, or if they have been blued.

Sounds to me like a recent dip-blued Russian captured Luger import that the importer "forgot" to mark as an import...

I don't recognize the odd stamps that you are mentioning. Perhaps someone else has seen them before...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2002, 01:36 PM   #3
Kernel 36
User

The normal strawed parts are blued. I do have a digital camera,but its not very good at close up work. I will try to post some pics. I was told this Luger was taken off a dead Chinese Officer during the Korean War,I do not believe this,but thats the story I was given.
Unread 10-18-2002, 02:01 PM   #4
Kernel 36
User

Unread 10-25-2002, 10:01 PM   #5
sfguy
User

I still have my first Luger, which I bought only last year. It is an S/42 dated 1937 with about 90% blue with all numbers matching. I have 2 numbered mags with it but unfortunately they are the wrong numbers. I also picked up a old holster marked (Franz Herrmann Erfurt 1916). The Loading tool is marked with a box divided top to bottom with what looks like E3 on one side and 90 on the other. Any help you can give me on this rig would be appreciated.

Thanks
Unread 10-25-2002, 10:50 PM   #6
Johnny Peppers
User

Does the box possibly look like an H laid on it's side with B on the left side and 90 on the right side? If so it is an earlier tool for either the K Date or G Date. Nice tool if that is what it is.
Johnny Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2002, 09:46 AM   #7
Kernel 36
User

More info on this pistol. The Toggle Link Pin has a small number on it {08,or 80). Also it seems the firing pin has a number as well. From the book Lugers At Random,it states these parts were not numbered. Why the numbers? Or is the book wrong? This pistol is looking more and more like a VOPO rework to me,but still have not located the stamp. I had a collector tell me the small kk in a circle was an East German mark. The reblue job still has me stumped though,it looks to be well done,with normal holster wear to the high spots,and its starting to plumb on the grip.