LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 02-07-2019, 08:25 AM   #1
Spanner
User

Default Ruger SR1911

Have never given a range report and I am no firearms expert. My boss called and said don't try to drive on the roads so here goes.

This is a new Ruger model SR1911 in .45 cal, 5" barrel, stainless steel construction with nitride finish and picaninny rail. My previous .45 was a Stoeger made version of the Beretta Cougar 8045. Wasn't that thrilled with it and sold it to purchase this.

Replaced the grips before I ever fired it. Just a choice I made.

First impressions after firing at the range. Easy trigger pull, very manageable kick compared to a plastic gun. Sights are easy to line up. The 3 dot system worked well for me. The second round out of the second mag I ran stuck. I ejected it and the next one stopped just short of chambering. I bumped the slide forward and never had another issue. I think it was just a bit dry. All in all, I was very happy with my first time out with it and excited to shoot it again.

It occurred to me after I was done that my finger position probably could be better as I was pulling to the right. My second magazine showed that the sights are good. I also should think about glasses full time or hope that if I ever need to defend myself, I'm wearing my cheaters.

Had the Bodyguard with me and shot that as well. Nice little gun and when I compared it to the Ruger it made better sense to me to select the S & W. The trigger pull on these pocket guns is horrendous. I like it because it fits everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190205_195441.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	75656  

Name:	20190205_194921.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	75657  

Spanner is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Spanner for your post:
Unread 02-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Your early-on issue of the slide sticking may very well be the issue of a new gun breaking in. Lube it well and shoot it often. And mark the magazines if you continue to have issues to determine if the issues are mag. related.
Thanks for the range-report.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
Spanner
User

I will definitely watch the mags. One is a 7 round and the other is an 8. I think it was more of a hang up in the chamber than the slide itself. My first thoughts were its a little dry. Or maybe factory residuals? Either way its all sparkly cleaned and lubed now.
Unread 02-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

The SR1911 is a very well made M1911a1 platform pistol from Ruger.

I have had one for a few years, and for the money it's quite well fitted.

Your correct support of the pistol is critical to it's cycling properly. If you don't provide the support, the recoil pulse won't completely crisply cycle the pistol. The recoil pulse should travel through a solid grip through your wrists down the bones of your arms and be absorbed by the mass of your body.

If you don't do your job, the recoil pulse will be dissipated and it might not chamber the next round solidly.

Some chambers are also a bit tight, especially when new. Any dirt or dimensional problems in the round itself can end up interfering with chambering. Shoot it for a few hundred rounds, and keep to a good grip and stance before you judge it's reliability.
The following 2 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 02-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #5
Spanner
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
The SR1911 is a very well made M1911a1 platform pistol from Ruger.

I have had one for a few years, and for the money it's quite well fitted.

Your correct support of the pistol is critical to it's cycling properly. If you don't provide the support, the recoil pulse won't completely crisply cycle the pistol. The recoil pulse should travel through a solid grip through your wrists down the bones of your arms and be absorbed by the mass of your body.

If you don't do your job, the recoil pulse will be dissipated and it might not chamber the next round solidly.

Some chambers are also a bit tight, especially when new. Any dirt or dimensional problems in the round itself can end up interfering with chambering. Shoot it for a few hundred rounds, and keep to a good grip and stance before you judge it's reliability.
Thank you for the comments. I really do like this gun. Actually, the last thing I was blaming was the pistol. I've had new guns before and have had similar experiences. Was only approaching it from a scientific method of elimination, that's all.

I believe I have found the issue. I noticed a little pimple molded into the plastic, on the magazine follower, when going over everything. Thought it odd but didn't think of it again until I cleaned the pistol after shooting. While reloading a mag, the rim of the cartridge hung up. I need to trim this off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190207_102732.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	75676  

Unread 02-08-2019, 09:43 PM   #6
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner View Post
Thank you for the comments. I really do like this gun. Actually, the last thing I was blaming was the pistol. I've had new guns before and have had similar experiences. Was only approaching it from a scientific method of elimination, that's all.

I believe I have found the issue. I noticed a little pimple molded into the plastic, on the magazine follower, when going over everything. Thought it odd but didn't think of it again until I cleaned the pistol after shooting. While reloading a mag, the rim of the cartridge hung up. I need to trim this off.
Maybe-maybe not; only the last round will encounter the "bump".
Many Colt 1911 .45 mags have had such a bump for years, I have no idea why, but it should not cause an issue with the rimless .380 either. JMHO
But removing it should not cause a problem either!
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 02-08-2019, 10:09 PM   #7
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I like the Metal-Form mags with the rounded followers. And just to be anal I polish them...
But be sure to over lube your gun for a while until it gets shot in. A friend likes to say if you come in from the range with gun oil dripping off your shooting glasses, that's about right.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 02-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #8
Spanner
User

Yes Don (hand slammed into head) it would only affect the last round. Should have thought of that. I fired 4 more magazines that day without incident. Thought I would note it in my report. I've always done what dju stated and that is to keep it well lubed.