LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 07-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts
Default Warning re: Mailing Parts

A member kindly sent me a barrel blank I needed; the parcel arrived today. The box was empty, with a rip in the corner.

It was sent flat rate/insured, so the sender should be able to get the insurance plus postage. I've sent him pics of the box plus I notified my local post office supervisor.

This is the second time this has happened to me; I had an M16 barrel sent UPS from California to me a few years back; the box arrived empty with a nice round hole in the end.

Postal and airport machinery for loading/sorting parcels is to blame, not human error. Conveyors, paddles, steep drops to wheeled hampers all contribute to boxes breaking down. Trying to find the lost part is near hopeless, as the post office and the airlines don't have an interface for identifying and listing lost items. It goes through too many stops, and their is no way to notify all of them.

Reinforcing the packing, not using plastic packing peanuts; wedging the part in the box securely are good, but most important, anything put in the box should have a label taped to the part, with the sender's name, address, and phone number. That's the only chance that the part will be recovered and returned. This applies to USPS, FedEx, UPS, whatever. If they can forward it, they will.

I worked for the post office for 29 years, with six months of that in an airport mail facility, and the equipment (both postal and airline) used for parcel shipment is almost all automated. The scanners and paddles used to whack a parcel off the conveyers are not gentle. There are postal mechanics who sweep the equipment at the end of the day, but there's no way to know where a loose item belongs. The box it was shipped in is long gone.

I'll scream at my mailgirl next time I see her, but she retires next month so she won't be too upset.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	72959  

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 07-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
Mister Sunshine
User

When I prepare one of those FR Boxes I never have a problem. I rap the box so many times with clear tape you could throw it off the roof and it wouldn't break. If it carries much weight I reinforce the sides.
Mister Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,080 Posts

I have always double and triple packed stuff, however, I had a luger take down lever going about 20 miles away and stupidly put it into an envelope with a thicker plastic baggie - got stripped out and he received an empty envelope - $85 down the drain, they now always get put into a hard shipping boxes and taped well (which I usually do).

4 or 5 yrs ago, I bought a Jan Still book once, guy sent it priority - came right to me, then he offered 3 more, I bought them and he saved money by sending media. Although he sent them tracked. I watched them go from Illinois or wherever to Philly, then it sat and sat. I called and they said they couldn't find them. Gave them tracking numbers, and slowly watched them advance to the dead letter place in Atlanta (?) and never saw the tracking move again...
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

I tell all of my clients to enclose contact information with their holsters. Many do and some do not. You never know when a box is going to come apart. IF it does it's best to have contact information ATTACHED to the item being shipped. I get boxes all the time where one end is busted open..not all people are diligent about taping the ends and rely on the PO box sticky goo..mistake. It seems like it sticks then just pops loose! Gotta be careful in shipping yessirry.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I mailed a holster today, in a Flat Rate box, w/insurance for $50. I sealed it in a Zip-Loc bag, with a cardboard tag tied in the holster with my name/address/phone on it. The bag was wedged in with newspaper so it wouldn't move around. Sealed with fiber-impregnated tape. Hopefully it will get to its destination intact.

But I got to thinking about that box that was sent to me with the barrel blank in it. That box went through, at a minimum, six Postal facilities and two airline freight terminals. Most likely more as it crossed the country and probably went through more than one airline/flight. It had the opportunity to be whacked around at all those stops. By clerks, carriers, mail handlers, airport cargo handlers, and possibly others I don't even know about (airport security personnel). Automated postal machinery and human sorters; they all have the chance of accidentally damaging a parcel. Airport cargo handlers are a different proposition; they're tasked to move that cargo. If a 747 freighter comes in with three slots open and they have four pods to go out, they don't put one aside for a later flight. They split one pod up and stuff the cargo into the other three pods and send it on its way. Contractually, they're not allowed to delay mail unless it's an actual emergency/act of nature. And they're not gentle about cramming those pods full.

I'm as guilty as anyone about not tagging the items for identification & return if separated from their box. But from now on I will. Some of what I mail out is valued close to a thousand dollars. I'm sure that the stuff you guys send out is worth more.

I've learned my lesson. I'll gladly pay 'postage due' to get a machined carbine barrel back. I'm lucky this time that I had not done any work on the barrel blank being sent to me. And I hope the sender gets his money back. Flat Rate parcels are insured for $50 for free and for more if you pay extra. Well worth it, considering the alternative.

/rant
Unread 07-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #6
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

I've learned my lesson. I'll gladly pay 'postage due' to get a machined carbine barrel back. I'm lucky this time that I had not done any work on the barrel blank being sent to me. And I hope the sender gets his money back. Flat Rate parcels are insured for $50 for free and for more if you pay extra. Well worth it, considering the alternative.
I have never had much luck collecting on postal ins. It is extremely time consuming and they like to argue. They want to keep ALL the money paid in for insurance. So they do their best to do just that.

Another little known aspect of this circus..lets say you have a claim as I did once..they broke the top of an antique tea pot that was insured for $350. They finally agreed to pay..but guess what they wanted to do with the teapot itself? DESTROY IT. I couldn't buy it..
So lets say you filed a claim on a broken rifle stock. Yup..they want to destroy the WHOLE item.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #7
Major Tom
User

I sell pistol display boxes. I always use a heavy box much bigger than really needed and use bubble wrap and crinkeled up newspaper to pack the item very securely. Then use heavy duty clear plastic tape (3 inches wide) and wrap the whole package with it.
Unread 07-14-2018, 08:28 PM   #8
Zorba
User

I make and sell sistra (Sistrums). I pack them suitable for a parachute drop from 50K feet - sans parachute. Haven't had one lost or broken yet. I pack them firmly into glued-in-place foam packing material on all six sides.
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #9
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
I make and sell sistra (Sistrums).
You just crashed Google.

Seriously, that is cool.
Unread 07-14-2018, 08:57 PM   #10
Zorba
User

Thanx. Wiki has a good page on the Sistrum.
Unread 07-14-2018, 09:02 PM   #11
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Wow, that was the only thing they let me play in the "rhythm band"; but we called it a rattle.
I didn't have a sistrum only a brotherurm.
Unread 07-15-2018, 02:26 AM   #12
Zorba
User

The sistrum is indeed considered a member of the "rattle family".

'Brotherum' - I like it!